The Student Room Group

GCSE Options

Tomorrow I have to pick my GCSE options. I don't have any older siblings or family to ask for advice on what to consider while picking. I'll keep you updated on what I pick. Thank you.
Lucy.
Original post by LucyTalks
Tomorrow I have to pick my GCSE options. I don't have any older siblings or family to ask for advice on what to consider while picking. I'll keep you updated on what I pick. Thank you.
Lucy.

What kind of subjects do you currently enjoy?
My sister is also in the process of choosing her options.

My only advice is to pick things that you...

A) enjoy
B) are good at
C) want to study further in life (e.g. in college/university)

That’s what I’ve done and I’m really happy with my options :smile:

Hope this helps!
What you enjoy
Have some variety, have a science, a social subject(eg. history, geography, politics, RMPS etc.), potential have an arts subject maybe a language. Try and keep it a bit open so you have options for a levels.
But most importantly enjoy what you choose
Lucy.

Let give you advice then that may very well change your who perspective on life.

FORGET THIS “DISNEY MAGIC LAND ADVICE OF FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS NONSENSE”

Choose a career that will make you money, TO SURVIVE !!!! THAT ALL THAT MATTERS NOW.

If what your studying now can’t feed you tomorrow! Then why in the hell are you studying, why invest in something that won’t get a return!

Our generation is severely and detrimentally (kindly forgive my language but...) F*CKED.

We are too many graduates, all with qualifications. To the point now where that qualification won’t have any value!

Your studying now to get a job and sustain yourself for life. To grow!

The only thing an employer is looking for is what you can bring to the table! How well can you market yourself!

Like I tell all my peers, classmates, and friends, life is simply a market place. Those who have the more valuable goods (valuable qualifications AND EXPERIENCE IN THE CAREER PATH) and can advertise themselves well enough to show they can actually deliver what there selling ( YOUR EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE! YOUR DRIVE , YOUR PASSION , YOUR INTEGRITY, YOUR PERSONALITY )

This is what employers are looking for this is what, is going to allow you live , and at-least give you a starting block/point to grow , and become a success in whatever way you aspire.

Year 11 (GCSE) is that start of your future. It’s the first qualification that shall be on your CV. So My advice dear, is take 50 year view plan in the future and work back. See what careers will be both profitable, relevant , and valuable. And HIT THE ROAD RUNNNNINGG!

You got this! The fact that you have the brain, to search for advice , is one of the biggest indicators that your on the right path! Be strong. Be wise.

Back in history , it used to be , Strong 💪🏿 survive, and the weak die. Now it’s the smart 🔍📚🔬survive, and the stupid die off.
Im choosing triple science, computer science, French and design technology if the blocks allow me to.

One of the teachers who is making the blocks has asked everyone what they were thinking of doing, and what subject they want the most / would need most for the future.
Reply 6
Original post by elizabethlau
What kind of subjects do you currently enjoy?

I really like History, Art, Photography and Fashion (Textiles)
Reply 7
Original post by iantwebaze
Let give you advice then that may very well change your who perspective on life.

FORGET THIS “DISNEY MAGIC LAND ADVICE OF FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS NONSENSE”

Choose a career that will make you money, TO SURVIVE !!!! THAT ALL THAT MATTERS NOW.

If what your studying now can’t feed you tomorrow! Then why in the hell are you studying, why invest in something that won’t get a return!

Our generation is severely and detrimentally (kindly forgive my language but...) F*CKED.

We are too many graduates, all with qualifications. To the point now where that qualification won’t have any value!

Your studying now to get a job and sustain yourself for life. To grow!

The only thing an employer is looking for is what you can bring to the table! How well can you market yourself!

Like I tell all my peers, classmates, and friends, life is simply a market place. Those who have the more valuable goods (valuable qualifications AND EXPERIENCE IN THE CAREER PATH) and can advertise themselves well enough to show they can actually deliver what there selling ( YOUR EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE! YOUR DRIVE , YOUR PASSION , YOUR INTEGRITY, YOUR PERSONALITY )

This is what employers are looking for this is what, is going to allow you live , and at-least give you a starting block/point to grow , and become a success in whatever way you aspire.

Year 11 (GCSE) is that start of your future. It’s the first qualification that shall be on your CV. So My advice dear, is take 50 year view plan in the future and work back. See what careers will be both profitable, relevant , and valuable. And HIT THE ROAD RUNNNNINGG!

You got this! The fact that you have the brain, to search for advice , is one of the biggest indicators that your on the right path! Be strong. Be wise.

Back in history, it used to be, Strong 💪🏿 survive, and the weak die. Now it’s the smart 🔍📚🔬survive, and the stupid die off.

This helped me so much. Thank you! I'm gonna have to write this down as an inspirational message to remember throughout my GCSE's and most likely A levels. Thanks again!
Lucy x
This helped me so much. Thank you! I'm gonna have to write this down as an inspirational message to remember throughout my GCSE's and most likely A levels. Thanks again!
Lucy x

Anytime Lucy!

And if you ever need anymore advice ,

Please feel free to reach out:

[email protected]
Reply 9
Original post by iantwebaze
Anytime Lucy!

And if you ever need anymore advice ,

Please feel free to reach out:

[email protected]

Thanks! I'll sure ask for some more advice down the road.
Lucy x

Ok, well I currently take history for GCSE (i’m in year 10, & we chose in year 8) and i really enjoy it. Don’t get me wrong - it’s a lot of work but it is also extremely rewarding, and i know that it is somewhat of a facilitating subject, so im glad I chose it. I personally didn’t choose art but most of my friends did and even though they complain about the workload (all the time!), they all really enjoy it. If you’re good at art and it’s something that comes easy to you, it is definitely a good option.

Not too sure about photography and textiles because they don’t offer at as a GCSE at my school but again, just make sure you enjoy the subject.

Also, you should think about the teachers that teach the subject. You shouldn’t choose a subject just because you like the teacher, but if you’re thinking about choosing a subject and you know that you really don’t like the teachers that choose that subject, you should think about that. The teacher you have is going to make a huge impact on whether you enjoy the subject, how much work you do, and in the end, the grade you get.

Good luck!

If you enjoy these subjects, TAKE THEM I promise you that if you enjoy certain subjects, it’s most likely you will excel in them. I take history and photography as some of my GCSEs and I really enjoy both of them. History I just find really interesting and photography is something that I want to peruse and both I do very well in. And also, if you enjoy subjects, it will motivate you to want to do well in them.
it usually helps to have one or two humanities subjects and a language, other than that do what ever you enjoy if you have spare options :smile:
I'm taking triple science, history , computer science and citizenship.

In my opinion the best thing to do is choose GCSEs that might be hard but will also be rewarding and get you somewhere later in life.

Also, at least one of your lessons should be a bit more relaxed so you can have a chance to breathe in between mad studying.

I chose citizenship because it us easy and we get to do a lot if trips but at the same time it will help me receive the qualifications I need to become a lawyer.
What did you choose? Just wondering, I'm a little nosey and have to choose my options soon aha! I'm thinking of

English Literature
English Language
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Geography
French
Spanish
Drama

With RS and Art/German as my reserves!

Quick Reply