The Student Room Group

British man who fought against ISIS charged with terrorism

You know the system is broken when instead of dealing with radicalised terrorists who could actually be a threat the state charges someone who selflessly fought on the same side as our SAS against a brutal terrorist regime.

The same state who takes away a homeless veteran's sleeping bag which subsequently kills him but won't deal with rocketing serious crime.

Surely we need some kind of serious change... Any ideas?
link to an article?
A fair and Just trial must be held.
The state has no idea if they are fighting for ISIS or the Kurdish militia because they have no inside men .

The article also states that the government prewarned people not to go to Syria to fight for ideological reasons even if they are against ISIS. I quote "But terrorism laws in the UK prohibit engaging in violence for a political or ideological cause and the government has long repeated warnings that fighting with any group could lead to legal action. "

So the fighter must have been prepared for this so it is really his fault.
He will probably get a short sentence anyway.
Oh come of it. The government made it quite clear that those who decided to go to Syria to fight on whichever side, would not be welcomed home with open arms. At the end of the day, in this country it is against the law for private citizens to fight in wars. If he wanted to play soldiers, he should have joined the army.

Typical Sun sensationalist propaganda.
Reply 5
Original post by ByEeek
Oh come of it. The government made it quite clear that those who decided to go to Syria to fight on whichever side, would not be welcomed home with open arms.

Why are they prioritising people who did the brave moral choice making clear their motivation was to defend liberty and save lives from the atrocities of IS, while not prosecuting a single returned IS fighter. And the UK and USA were supporting, arming, and fighting alongside the same group!

It's illogical to the extreme and these people should be praised not charged with terrorism in my opinion.

in this country it is against the law for private citizens to fight in wars.

Really? Could you show us that law?
Original post by bob072
Why are they prioritising people who did the brave moral choice making clear their motivation was to defend liberty and save lives from the atrocities of IS, while not prosecuting a single returned IS fighter. And the UK and USA were supporting, arming, and fighting alongside the same group!

How do you know he did brave heroic things? Please tell me you are not basing your judgement on an article from the Sun?

We don't know anything about him other than he went fighting in Syria, something that was clearly publicised by the government that people doing so would not be welcomed back with open arms.

Oh - and the SAS weren't fighting in Syria. Only the RAF did any combat missions in Syria.
Reply 7
Original post by The PoliticalGuy
A fair and Just trial must be held.
The state has no idea if they are fighting for ISIS or the Kurdish militia because they have no inside men .

No, we are absolutely certain, he even featured in a documentary fighting alongside the Kurds. I believe the basis of his prosecution is for going to YPG training camp.

The article also states that the government prewarned people not to go to Syria to fight for ideological reasons even if they are against ISIS. I quote "But terrorism laws in the UK prohibit engaging in violence for a political or ideological cause and the government has long repeated warnings that fighting with any group could lead to legal action. "

So the fighter must have been prepared for this so it is really his fault.
He will probably get a short sentence anyway.

So the law may be overly harsh to account for all possibilities. If all laws were actively enforced, everyone would be criminals all the time. Common sense says the brutal mass murderering group which the government classifies as a terrorist organisation should be dealt with before those with the motivation to defeat them.
Reply 8
Original post by ByEeek
How do you know he did brave heroic things? Please tell me you are not basing your judgement on an article from the Sun?

We don't know anything about him other than he went fighting in Syria, something that was clearly publicised by the government that people doing so would not be welcomed back with open arms.

Oh - and the SAS weren't fighting in Syria. Only the RAF did any combat missions in Syria.

You're talking lies and your ignorance and absurdity is really making me angry.

I'm talking about the fact not a report, I didn't see it through the Sun, I referenced that because someone asked for it and that was the first result in Google. Why are you more interested in bashing a newspaper than the legal decision.

We know exactly who he was fighting with and what he was doing. He even had a main role in an hour long documentary about the Kurds fighting IS.

Yes, the SAS and US special forces were fighting in Syria. Their activities aren't deliberately publicised.

You can't provide any such law because you just fabricated a lie without checking.

If you really think those fighting terrorists should be treated worse by the law than actual terrorists I think that's disgusting, but at least if you're going to argue it use facts not lies.
Reply 9
Considering the UK sides with ISIS, it actually makes sense.
Original post by bob072

If you really think those fighting terrorists should be treated worse by the law than actual terrorists I think that's disgusting, but at least if you're going to argue it use facts not lies.

It doesn't matter if what the fighter was doing was just or the right thing becuase justice doesn't always mean success.

Let me give you an example, if a man saw a child getting raped, stabbed the rapist to death and saved the child under UK law he would be charged with murder or manslaughter if he was lucky. What he did was the right thing but he will still be penalised for his actions.
The fighter was clearly aware of the consequences of his actions although it may have been the right thing to do (debatable) he will have to be penalised because he broke UK Law.
Reply 11
Original post by The PoliticalGuy
It doesn't matter if what the fighter was doing was just or the right thing becuase justice doesn't always mean success.

Let me give you an example, if a man saw a child getting raped, stabbed the rapist to death and saved the child under UK law he would be charged with murder or manslaughter if he was lucky. What he did was the right thing but he will still be penalised for his actions.
The fighter was clearly aware of the consequences of his actions although it may have been the right thing to do (debatable) he will have to be penalised because he broke UK Law.

Ok, I can see where you're coming from. If there was a law prohibiting fighting alongside the Kurdish Defence Force (which I'm not sure there is), I think that's wrong and should be changed.

Assuming he did break the law, common sense should be applied as to whether there was damage to a victim, any benefit of punishment and (particularly regarding terrorism offences) whether they are likely to be a future threat.

Even assuming the right decision was made considering the above criteria, is it right that those fighting against a brutal terrorist regime are investigated and treated much worse than anyone fighting for a murderous ideology and in some cases likely to be a threat to civillians in the UK.

Also on a moral perspective, I think obedience to a law (which only a fool would follow to the letter blindly) comes below doing the right thing morally. If the only feasible way to prevent a hundred deaths was by killing a terrorist, I don't think that should be avoided at all costs just because it's illegal.
How exactly is a "terrorism" charge going to stick when he was fighting for an organisation that receives western (and UK) support?

A few other Brits have fought for the YPG and haven't been charged with anything. The most they've had is some questioning on their return as far as I am aware.

Original post by Reiji
Considering the UK sides with ISIS

No they do not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending