The Student Room Group

How do I go into private medicine?

I am aspiring to become a neurosurgeon but I would very much like to go into private healthcare as opposed to working with the NHS. What course of action is required to take this route? Any help is very much appreciated. 😊

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by georgelagalle
I am aspiring to become a neurosurgeon but I would very much like to go into private healthcare as opposed to working with the NHS. What course of action is required to take this route? Any help is very much appreciated. 😊

I’m not entirely sure but I’m pretty sure you spend your time as a junior doctor working for the NHS. Hope it’s not too terrible for you.

Few UK consultants work exclusively in private practice.

Regardless you will need to become a neurosurgery consultant (4-6 years med school, 2 years foundation training, 8 years neurosurgery specialty training, assuming no breaks) and then continue to develop your expertise and special interests before going into private work.

tl;dr: focus on getting into med school for now.
Original post by Democracy
Few UK consultants work exclusively in private practice.

Regardless you will need to become a neurosurgery consultant (4-6 years med school, 2 years foundation training, 8 years neurosurgery specialty training, assuming no breaks) and then continue to develop your expertise and special interests before going into private work.

tl;dr: focus on getting into med school for now.

Thanks for the help 👍🏼
You can work in the private sector as a junior doctor covering private wards and whatnot. However, you would just be doing the lackey work (and for any actually sick patients you would do what everyone else does - call an NHS ambulance) and your career progression just halts. You certainly wouldn't be seeing any neurosurgery, let alone doing it!

The only way to be a private neurosurgeon is to train to be a neurosurgeon on the NHS, then set up a private practice alongside your NHS work which as above, takes decades.
Original post by nexttime
You can work in the private sector as a junior doctor covering private wards and whatnot. However, you would just be doing the lackey work (and for any actually sick patients you would do what everyone else does - call an NHS ambulance) and your career progression just halts. You certainly wouldn't be seeing any neurosurgery, let alone doing it!

The only way to be a private neurosurgeon is to train to be a neurosurgeon on the NHS, then set up a private practice alongside your NHS work which as above, takes decades.

Thank you for this insightful response 😊
Can I ask why private practice?
Reply 7
Original post by GrandExecutioner
Can I ask why private practice?

Probably money and less stress.
Original post by HateOCR
Probably money and less stress.

Why would they do a medical degree then? xD
Reply 9
Why would they do a medical degree then? xD

Because they enjoy science or OP might just be a deluded year 11 student who has an idealistic (too optimistic) view of the realities of medicine.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by HateOCR
Because they enjoy science or OP might just be a deluded year 11 student who has an idealistic (too optimistic) view of the realities of medicine.

They may have alternative reasons.
They may have alternative reasons.

Yes.
Original post by HateOCR

I’m year 13 by the way 😊
I’m year 13 by the way 😊

have you applied to med schools this year?
Original post by angelike1

Yes
Yes

sweet - good luck then!
sweet - good luck then!

Thank you 👍🏼

Sorry.
Original post by HateOCR
Sorry.

what?
Yes my bad was meant to quote OP

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending