The Student Room Group

Writing a story, need to know more about the biology student experience.

If this isn't the right place to post this, sorry about that. The novel is a reanimation horror. My characters start the story at university studying biology and I need to know about a course like this from a student's perspective. How is it taught? What happens when you're failing/ expelled? What equipment do you make use of?

I have many more questions besides, if I could get in a call with somebody that would be perfect. It's a graphic novel so some photography would be great reference material. Any help is greatly appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bluebrandy
If this isn't the right place to post this, sorry about that. The novel is a reanimation horror. My characters start the story at university studying biology and I need to know about a course like this from a student's perspective. How is it taught? What happens when you're failing/ expelled? What equipment do you make use of?

I have many more questions besides, if I could get in a call with somebody that would be perfect. It's a graphic novel so some photography would be great reference material. Any help is greatly appreciated :smile:

Creating a survey will really help your cause :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Creating a survey will really help your cause :smile:

That's a good idea! I'll definitely do that. Have you used a survey for research before? Any advice?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3

Has someone been reading Lovecraft? :sly:
Reply 4
Original post by Tootles
Has someone been reading Lovecraft? :sly:

I have indeed 😃 It is a very similar premise I'll grant you. I'm hoping to use it to explore more ideas about, not-so-much the insignificance of humanity as, the not-insignificant search for purpose in a world without objective meaning. I'd say I'm a bit more optimistic than Lovecraft, even if similarly nihilistic.
Reply 5
I have indeed 😃 It is a very similar premise I'll grant you. I'm hoping to use it to explore more ideas about, not-so-much the insignificance of humanity as, the not-insignificant search for purpose in a world without objective meaning. I'd say I'm a bit more optimistic than Lovecraft, even if similarly nihilistic.
Optimistic nihilism... now I've heard it all :lol:
Reply 6
Original post by Tootles

You laugh but why shouldn't there be such a thing? Just because life is without objective meaning doesn't mean that we should all just wallow in our insignificance. I think that there is significance in the principles that we decide upon, if the universe gives us no purpose then we get to dictate what our purpose should be. Is that not a more beautiful thing?
Reply 7
You laugh but why shouldn't there be such a thing? Just because life is without objective meaning doesn't mean that we should all just wallow in our insignificance. I think that there is significance in the principles that we decide upon, if the universe gives us no purpose then we get to dictate what our purpose should be. Is that not a more beautiful thing?
Maybe it is a beautiful thing, but you're assuming that there truly is no meaning to the life we have. If you really wanted to follow in the vein of Lovecraft (which I'm assuming, for the moment, you are), you'd approach it as a scientist and keep an open mind.
That's a good idea! I'll definitely do that. Have you used a survey for research before? Any advice?

Things like survey monkey are fairly straightforward or even more so are things like google docs.
Reply 9
Original post by Tootles
Maybe it is a beautiful thing, but you're assuming that there truly is no meaning to the life we have. If you really wanted to follow in the vein of Lovecraft (which I'm assuming, for the moment, you are), you'd approach it as a scientist and keep an open mind.

Okay so, just to clarify, are you saying that Lovecraft was open-minded? That is an interesting interpretation if so.

I suppose that I believe in the inherent meaninglessness of life because to suggest that there is an objective meaning, you'd have to point to one to make the argument, that's something you'd have to prove.
(edited 6 years ago)
Okay so, just to clarify, are you saying that Lovecraft was open-minded? That is an interesting interpretation if so.

I suppose that I believe in the inherent meaninglessness of life because to suggest that there is an objective meaning, you'd have to point to one to make the argument, that's something you'd have to prove.
Lovecraft was dark and dismal, and was open-minded in some ways but unfortunately not in others. As writers, part of our lot is to take work we know and love and mould it to fit with what we know - and also believe, to an extent. We know that paradigm shifts knock our entire scientific corpus on its head every few decades, which teaches us we must be open-minded: this is something which wasn't as widely known - or at least acknowledged - in Lovecraft's day.

If there is an inherent meaningless to life, what's the point in writing stories? What's the point in entertaining people when people - all of whom die in the end - are just as dead if they enjoyed themselves as if they hadn't. Your logic defeats itself; you can't truly believe this or else you wouldn't want to make life something people can enjoy by entertaining or instructing them through your craft.
Reply 11
Original post by Tootles
Lovecraft was dark and dismal, and was open-minded in some ways but unfortunately not in others. As writers, part of our lot is to take work we know and love and mould it to fit with what we know - and also believe, to an extent. We know that paradigm shifts knock our entire scientific corpus on its head every few decades, which teaches us we must be open-minded: this is something which wasn't as widely known - or at least acknowledged - in Lovecraft's day.

If there is an inherent meaningless to life, what's the point in writing stories? What's the point in entertaining people when people - all of whom die in the end - are just as dead if they enjoyed themselves as if they hadn't. Your logic defeats itself; you can't truly believe this or else you wouldn't want to make life something people can enjoy by entertaining or instructing them through your craft.

This is good and I'm glad you bring it up, you misunderstand my position though. I'm not saying that there is no point to anything. Just that we all must seek internally for meaning.

I don't understand about this open-mindedness point you're making. I understand about social-change and reflecting on our beliefs. What's the relevance here exactly?
Reply 12

The simplest meaning in life is to find meaning or in better words a goal some like scientists choose to better our knowledge and understanding others search for fulfilment through enriching activities like sport or creative past times others lack a goal and simply walk aimlessly would you not say those who wander without aim are the ones who lost meaning afterall they simply spend their time wasting their lives on searching for a meaning but never consider what they wish or can do
Reply 13
Original post by Lejax
The simplest meaning in life is to find meaning or in better words a goal some like scientists choose to better our knowledge and understanding others search for fulfilment through enriching activities like sport or creative past times others lack a goal and simply walk aimlessly would you not say those who wander without aim are the ones who lost meaning afterall they simply spend their time wasting their lives on searching for a meaning but never consider what they wish or can do

Naturally this is only opinion you don’t have to take it to heart if you disagree but I believe searching for meaning is pointless as everyone has different talents and approaches why would they all have the same purpose just do what you enjoy And doesn’t hurt anyone and you will surely be doing something right
Reply 14
I also like the idea of life being no more than an illusion like a quick magic trick of the senses a dream or simulation that we are plugged into and when it’s over we’re left with no more than memories of this fantasy but naturally no view or idea is without flaws and I will nor will anyone truly comprehend life because that would be playing god or inhuman it leaves more questions than answers
Reply 15
This is good and I'm glad you bring it up, you misunderstand my position though. I'm not saying that there is no point to anything. Just that we all must seek internally for meaning.

I don't understand about this open-mindedness point you're making. I understand about social-change and reflecting on our beliefs. What's the relevance here exactly?

I think by open minded he means having a view is good but you can’t force it you must let the reader have room for his own interpretation as arts meaning is in the eye of the beholder often a writer intended emotions conveyed go unnoticed but in return opens opportunity to new views and Interpretations and sometimes these are better than the writers intention.
Original post by Tootles

Ain't this just simplified Camus?
Reply 17
If this room to breath and interpret is lost the story loses its fun and joy and also its reread ability it feels forced and it’s no more than an account.
Reply 18
Also to not rely on science too much as it may soon be proven to be out of date but I’m interpreting what I read and as I said things are easily misinterpreted
Reply 19
In your work you should look up African zombie it’s a real concoction that makes an individual go into a deep death like sleep the reanimate as a brain dead zombie like figure also read Frankenstein of if you haven’t already and I mean the original of course these soughts of dualities will add a more in depth feel to the book and give a more true moral outlook on the matter

Are you perhaps gonna add occult stuff to it too and add a paranoia or is it going to be an outlook on a more government initiative type work or personal experiment

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending