The Student Room Group

About biomedical science

I have got offers from ucl and imperial college for biomedical science. However the course is not professionally accredited, will that affect me to find a job in the future? any idea ?
It will make it very awkward to get a job as a Biomedical Scientist, working in hospital laboratories. Top-up modules would be your first step so if that's the career path you want then avoid non-IBMS accredited courses at all cost.
Reply 2
Original post by TraineeBMS
It will make it very awkward to get a job as a Biomedical Scientist, working in hospital laboratories. Top-up modules would be your first step so if that's the career path you want then avoid non-IBMS accredited courses at all cost.

Thank you for your reply. I applied to biomed because I like the subject but that doesn’t really mean I have to be a biomedical scientist in the future. Do you think any company in general would employ me if I finish a course like this?
Original post by himhim616
Thank you for your reply. I applied to biomed because I like the subject but that doesn’t really mean I have to be a biomedical scientist in the future. Do you think any company in general would employ me if I finish a course like this?

It doesn't mean you have to, no, but being a Biomedical Scientist is the only time an IBMS-accredited degree matters. Otherwise it is irrelevant.
Can I just ask what jobs can you do with biomedical science?
You can either work for Pharmaceuticals or go towards the research path which includes a PhD in a field that you will find interesting and then going on towards teaching and having your own research project. Or you can apply for a job in a research centre/institute. Here it doesn't really matter if your degree is IBMS accredited, I believe it only matters if you want to work as a Biomedical Scientist in a hospital laboratory. Or you can work in a hospital laboratory in other countries if you're interested in going abroad.

Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by marioslemon
You can either work for Pharmaceuticals or go towards the research path which includes a PhD in a field that you will find interesting and then going on towards teaching and having your own research project. Or you can apply for a job in a research centre/institute. Here it doesn't really matter if your degree is IBMS accredited, I believe it only matters if you want to work as a Biomedical Scientist in a hospital laboratory. Or you can work in a hospital laboratory in other countries if you're interested in going abroad.

Hope this helped :smile:

Really good information, thankyou
If you don't want to work in hospital labs then it shouldn't be a problem
And congrats on the offers :smile:
Which alevel subjects did you do and what were your grades, I want to study biomedical science in the future as well :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by PurpleDelight
If you don't want to work in hospital labs then it shouldn't be a problem
And congrats on the offers :smile:

Thank you.
Reply 10
Original post by Randomstudwnt
Which alevel subjects did you do and what were your grades, I want to study biomedical science in the future as well :smile:

I did further maths, chemistry and biology. Dropped further maths on the second year.
My predicted grades are just 3A
Do you have to take maths ?
Reply 12
Original post by Randomstudwnt
Do you have to take maths ?

If u did a level maths on the first year and you are happy with the score, then u don’t have to do maths second year
Hello!
I’m a UE student and I’m a little bit worried with the recognition in Europe since the UK is no longer part of the Union. Could I find any problems by the time to look for jobs maybe in Europe?
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending