The Student Room Group

Should i decline my offer from Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emmaross00
So we just going to forget about his girlfriend, who wasted a year of her life :/

i highly doubt the girl took a gap year specifically so that they could go to uni at the same time, there must've been other reasons.
Original post by J-SP
Going to Cambridge won’t give you an advantage for accounting. It’s probably the sector that cares less about uni attended, typically because of the volumes recruited.

I agree with you in general - particularly for entry level jobs/ training contracts with big firms. I do think the top university maths and hard science graduates do have some routes into very good jobs as qualified accountants which others don't commonly get considered for. Pretty niche, but some banking, insurance and financial type jobs have positions they pretty much only recruit the highly numerate for.

That being said I think where you live makes a difference - of three Oxbridge maths graduates (whose names I can remember) I studied with for Chartered exams all do pretty normal qualified accountant jobs in the North. By comparison I've never been sent a CV by a maths/ physics/ engineering graduate working in accounting, or seen one in any company I've looked into while applying for positions in London. They get snapped up elsewhere pretty fast!
Original post by J-SP
I recruited plenty of Maths/Physics/Engineering grads into accounting roles in London.

What sort of companies? I never see them in the companies I've worked in (large services firms) although there are plenty in the equivalent roles in the midlands and north. My comment is not that they don't find good work (they clearly do) but seem to have additional, very attractive options in areas like finance and FMCG.
If OP firms cambridge now, and then meets entry requirements. But after having a lot of discussion with his gf, decides in late August that he wants to go to edinburgh (insurance) can he not do that? Or does he have to go to Cambridge then?
Original post by Rohan77642
If OP firms cambridge now, and then meets entry requirements. But after having a lot of discussion with his gf, decides in late August that he wants to go to edinburgh (insurance) can he not do that? Or does he have to go to Cambridge then?

I think he's already firmed Edinburgh?
Original post by khanaa1
The type of employer who has it made and now wants to give something back!!!

So you're a mature student going into medicine? Wow! If you don't mind me asking, how mature are you?!
Original post by thewinelake
I think he's already firmed Edinburgh?

Oh ok nvm.
Original post by scottsmith
Lets assume that i want to go to Cambridge, how would i tell my girlfriend, she wasted a year for me and if i ditch her now, i will be massive c**t infront of her and my friends. If i break up with her now, the rest of my time i spent in Glasgow and my school will literally hell.

Also in any future relationship how can any girl trust me, if i was such a c**t to my previous girlfirend.

This is completely illogical.

If your attachment to your gf is so strong you feel obliged to make significant life decisions like this, they marry her - it's no bigger decision. Indeed, there's possibly less lifelong impact from a failed marriage. The idea of marriage seems shocking and too soon? Then why are you making other significant life choices based on her feelings about the relationship?

There is no equivalency between taking a gap year and turning down a place at Cambridge.

And the idea that a decision made now will impact all your future relationships is just hyperbolic nonsense. No-one will know unless you tell them nor care a jot about some teenage love decisions!
(edited 6 years ago)
Untitled.jpg

Thanks for everyone's help. I will keep you guys updated yearly on my situation if you guys want :smile:
Untitled.jpg

Thanks for everyone's help. I will keep you guys updated yearly on my situation if you guys want :smile:

Someone starting at Trinity this year owes you a few drinks! 🍸

Posted from TSR Mobile
What a stupid decision?! I hope you regret the decision when you and your girlfriend break up cause we all tried to help but you are too stupid to take our advice. When you don't get to cambridge in 4th year, i hope you girlfriend feels bad for the rest of her life cause she is the sole cause of it.
Original post by jackjohnes990
What a stupid decision?! I hope you regret the decision when you and your girlfriend break up cause we all tried to help but you are too stupid to take our advice. When you don't get to cambridge in 4th year, i hope you girlfriend feels bad for the rest of her life cause she is the sole cause of it.

Unnecessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bit harsh :/, it his choice
Original post by Doonesbury

Not really... just speaking the truth
Original post by emmaross00
Bit harsh :/, it his choice

Not really is choice, cause his girlfriend forced him
Not really... just speaking the truth

It's not a truth, it's entirely your judgement. OP has been given generally balanced advice, and has made an undoubtedly well-considered but difficult decision.

Wishing him and his girlfriend ill is unwarranted and out of order.
Not really is choice, cause his girlfriend forced him

She told him to choose Cambridge.
In Scotland the government pays for tuition and you don't have pay them back. In England tuition is 9 grand, times that by 3, £27 (loan) grand. And accommodation is cheaper by a grand per year in Edinburgh,

EDIT: Yeah, that's irrelevant I suppose. It would be cheaper but keep in mind that going to Cambridge after being elsewhere will be a pretty huge jump.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AmmarTa
Problem with your calculations. Unless you've already lived in Scotland for 2+ years, they don't give free tuition.

He's Scottish.
Original post by Doonesbury
He's Scottish.

My mistake, I'm really out of it today :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending