The Student Room Group

Holidays

Hi

I work for a chain business with around 20 other employees at our branch.

My 18th birthday is in August and I requested the day off, as it is a Sunday and my only day shift.

The holiday request was rejected immediately as the supervisor is already off. However, the branch have just hired a new member of Sunday staff, and during the interview, requested my birthday off which was accepted.

I just wanted to know where I stood both morally and legally, especially as I have been working there almost a year and it felt like a bit of a kick in the teeth

Thanks
If you start employment and you have booked holidays your new employer has to allow it.
Is there anyone who could cover/swap shifts with you?
Original post by RuthieG101
If you start employment and you have booked holidays your new employer has to allow it.

This isn't a pre-booked holiday. OP has been working there for almost a year.
Thats so unfair... could you call in sick? I mean i know theyd probably realise seeing aa youd already asked but? That sucks
Original post by bones-mccoy
This isn't a pre-booked holiday. OP has been working there for almost a year.

I'm commenting on the new worker. If they start a new job, their employer has to honour any pre booked holidays.
Reply 6
Thanks for the replies so far. I get that pre-booked holidays from the new employee need to be honoured but it seems unreasonable that they have been honoured when mine can’t, put in weeks earlier than hers

Due to the size of the business and the fact I’ve alrady put the holiday in, I might need to call in sick. I didn’t want to have to do that as it will inevitably result in disciplinary action, but for £4.75 per hour it really feels like the less paid workers are treated less favourably

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending