The Student Room Group

George Soros, the man who 'broke the Bank of England', backing secret plot to thwart

Major British newspapers (and the Guardian) are reporting that George Soros has handed £400,000 to a campaign group founded by Gina Miller that will try to overturn Brexit with a nationwide advertising campaign and Momentum style rallies, all aimed at the "young". It also plans to target MPs and "convince" them to vote against the final Brexit deal to trigger another referendum or general election. Since the referendum Soros has had regular meetings with EU officials, who are doing all they can to overturn the will of the British people. If Brexit is stopped, will Britain cease to be a democracy?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/02/07/george-soros-man-broke-bank-england-backing-secret-plot-thwart/
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Democracy was out the door ages ago. The people we elect don't have any real power these days, usually they're influenced by their donors. Like that Soros guy. He's like, **** the people, they don't matter.
As some who is not into crank conspiracy theories, I'm failing to see what this secret plot is. We know Gina Miller campaigns to remain in the EU. We know Best for Britain campaigns to remain in the EU. And... it is splashed all over the front cover of the Telegraph. Doesn't appear very secret.
Reply 3
Original post by jfellow
Major British newspapers (and the Guardian)

Shots fired. :lol:

Anyway, this is just how our wonderfully strong and stable political system works. Money talks, and the politicians always listen. Given the amount of cash that's gone into the Brexit campaign from wealthy donors, it's more than a bit hypocritical to be calling this an undemocratic move.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42984594

I would LOVE to see people defend this guy!

George Soros sold his own family out to the Nazis during WW2 (even though he is Jewish himself).

He funds politics (Democratic party and protests) in USA and it looks like UK, too now that Brexit is on the table.

He is the man who broke the Bank of England on Black Wednesday in 1992. He cost us billions of pounds while he profited £1billion overnight.

This man does everything for his own agenda.
Reply 5
What a surprise....
I find the far right's antithesis to George Soros disturbing - it's antisemitism, there's no other word for it.

Like many wealthy people, Mr Soros supports causes he cares about - so what? He has given billions in the support of liberalism, democracy and human rights, especially in Eastern Europe - and yet he is (constantly) attacked for it? It's bizarre.
Original post by Snufkin
I find the far right's antithesis to George Soros disturbing - it's antisemitism, there's no other word for it.

Like many wealthy people, Mr Soros supports causes he cares about - so what? He has given billions in the support of liberalism, democracy and human rights, especially in Eastern Europe - and yet he is (constantly) attacked for it? It's bizarre.

far-right is anti-anything that is does not represent their subgroup in anyway at all. They areantimsetic, anti-islamic, racist, sexist, homophobic and because they do not want to feel bad for being horrible people they'll happily spread rumours and lies about other people to justify their own actions.
Reply 8
So - Soros - *a non-UK citizen* who once broke the Bank of England - has donated over £400,000 to Gina Miller's "Best for Britain" campaign to undermine and prevent Brexit (because he cares deeply about our democracy). And several British politicians are complicit in the effort. Even The Guardian is reporting this so let's not pretend it is not a big deal. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/07/billionaire-george-soros-backs-campaign-to-reverse-brexit
Original post by Snufkin

What's bizarre is how this strawman of antisemitism keeps being unironically used.

Alan Sugar is Jewish. Do I have a dislike of him? No.

It's because of actions, not because he's Jewish. It has nothing to do with his religion / ethnicity.

Sold his family out to Nazis and broke our Bank of England. But that's perfectly fine and acceptable?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Chaz254
What's bizarre is how this strawman of antisemitism keeps being unironically used.

Rupert Murdoch and Alan Sugar are Jews. Do I have a dislike of them? No.

It's because of actions, not because he's Jewish. It has nothing to do with his religion / ethnicity.

Sold his family out to Nazis and broke our Bank of England. But that's perfectly fine and acceptable?

Strawman? Hardly - the far right does not seem to mind when other billionaires donate to causes, even Democratic causes, so one has to ask - what is it about Soros. The only thing that distinguishes him from, Bill Gates say, is that he is Jewish and has a foreign accent, which is presumably why you and others target him.

In one sentence you deny being anti-Semitic, and in the next you repeat anti-Semitic (and entirely false) lies about Soros selling his family to the Nazis / being a Nazi collaborator. Pathetic.
Reply 11
Wasn't Soros moaning recently about Facebook and Google for not censoring content?

http://investmentwatchblog.com/george-soros-wants-to-regulate-facebook-google-heres-why/
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin

Funding terrorism is a federal offence.
this excellent article debunks the lies about Mr Soros' wartime childhood:

https://www.snopes.com/george-soros-ss-nazi-germany/
Original post by Chaz254

Rupert Murdoch and Alan Sugar are Jews.

Murdoch isn't Jewish.
Original post by anarchism101
Murdoch isn't Jewish.

Ok? Lord Sugar is and I like the guy. If I was an anti Semite like these strawman-creating liberals are claiming, wouldn't I hate all Jews? I certainly do not. Jewry has nothing to do with this post tbh. It's the only thing they can come up with. Still funny to see you defend this evil guy. Broke our central bank and yet these people defend him lol.
Original post by Chaz254
Ok? Lord Sugar is and I like the guy. If I was an anti Semite like these strawman-creating liberals are claiming, wouldn't I hate all Jews? I certainly do not. Jewry has nothing to do with this post tbh. It's the only thing they can come up with. Still funny to see you defend this evil guy. Broke our central bank and yet these people defend him lol.

So answer the question - why do you target Soros and not other political detonators, and why do you repeat debunked lies (see the bear's post)? Unless you can come up with a credible reason for hating Soros, the only logical conclusion is that you're an anti-Semite.
Original post by Snufkin
So answer the question - why do you target Soros and not other political detonators, and why do you repeat debunked lies (see the bear's post)? Unless you can come up with a credible reason for hating Soros, the only logical conclusion is that you're an anti-Semite.

How on earth is that the logical conclusion? I have a dislike of the man because of his actions, not of his ethnicity / religion. How hard is that to understand? Lord Sugar hasn't done any questionable actions and he is Jewish. I love the guy. How on earth do you draw that ridiculous conclusion? Seems like it's true what people say: "anyone I disagree with is a Nazi".

Great to see you defend the guy who broke our own central bank (I assume you are English since you're on an English student website, but I wouldn't be surprised if you aren't tbh) and caused our country severe problems in the 90's.

Since you people love Snopes so much, here's them saying he was involved in the Ferguson riots. He has supported political unrest movements (BLM, reversing Brexit after a referendum has took place).

https://www.snopes.com/politics/business/sorosferguson.asp
-
Original post by Chaz254
How on earth is that the logical conclusion? I have a dislike of the man because of his actions, not of his ethnicity / religion. How hard is that to understand? Lord Sugar hasn't done any questionable actions and he is Jewish. I love the guy. How on earth do you draw that ridiculous conclusion? Seems like it's true what people say: "anyone I disagree with is a Nazi".

Great to see you defend the guy who broke our own central bank (I assume you are English since you're on an English student website, but I wouldn't be surprised if you aren't tbh) and caused our country severe problems in the 90's.

Since you people love Snopes so much, here's them saying he was involved in the Ferguson riots. He has supported political unrest movements (BLM, reversing Brexit after a referendum has took place).

https://www.snopes.com/politics/business/sorosferguson.asp

You dislike the man because of his actions, but don't dislike other people who've taken the same or similar actions. So there must be something else, something particular to Soros that you dislike... what is it?

I don't know what you mean by 'broke the BoE' - as I understand it, Soros bet against the £ and made a lot of money. Whatever adverse consequences it had, he's not culpable - that's capitalism buddy. Indeed, you could argue that in the long run it was good for the British economy. But this is neither here nor there, I want to know why you/the hard right are so fixated on Soros?

You wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't English? Lol, okay then. :dry:

Just leaving this here... https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/961610545282633728 :flute:
the guy's not even a brit, hence he should be sent back to Hungary, oh wait, he's persona non-grata there too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending