The Student Room Group

NatSci question

Hello everyone

Just something I wanted to ask so I can rule something out (or not lol)

For NatSci, is double maths + physics an acceptable A-level combination?

What about if someone did that (^) and chemistry as well but chose to focus on the original trio to get them as high as possible...leaving the chemistry at just be a B (for instance)? Would that be goodbye opportunity? Do they expect someone to ace everything before applying? (Yes, this is for applying post A-levels)
(edited 6 years ago)
Are you talking about NatSci Cambridge?
What sciences do you like? Think of entrance requirements and qualifications as a reflection of skills and knowledge, not just shiny badges to impress admissions tutors.
Reply 3
Original post by DrSebWilkes
Hello everyone

What about if someone did that (^) and chemistry as well but chose to focus on the original trio to get them as high as possible...leavubg the chemistry at just be a B (for instance)? Would that be goodbye opportunity? Do they expect someone to ace everything before applying? (Yes, this is for applying post A-levels)

Also consider that some (many?) colleges give 4 subject offers if you present 4 A-levels.

However A*A*A*B achieved would probably still make you a competitive applicant. But no more competitive than A*A*A*.

Do the subjects you want to study and can do well at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Also consider that some (many?) colleges give 4 subject offers if you present 4 A-levels.

However A*A*A*B achieved would probably still make you a competitive applicant. But no more competitive than A*A*A*.

Do the subjects you want to study and can do well at.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My offer is A*A*AB for the same four A levels mentioned if that is at all relevant?
I suppose that suggests they might be interested in a fourth subject that's a slightly lower grade but I did also apply in different circumstances (predicted grades od 4A*s rather than any actual grades yet) so it could also have nothing to do with what they might expect from a post A level application.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
What sciences do you like? Think of entrance requirements and qualifications as a reflection of skills and knowledge, not just shiny badges to impress admissions tutors.

I really like physics and maths, but I'm quite liking the idea of learning computer science (I don't study it, but I've seen bits and bobs and it looks both very useful and fairly interesting) which I know is on offer for first year NatSci.

I do struggle a bit with Chemistry, and I have - to be genuinely honest - let it slip, so as much as I want to work at it I am only being realistic.

So, in that sense, would that non A(+) grade be a poor reflection?

Reading what Doonesbury said, the answer I gather would be "no", which is reassuring. I have heard though that applicants applying for physical NatSci still get asked Chemistry questions and that'd be a tad concerning for me because I don't feel anywhere near as comfortable doing chemistry as I do physics.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by LaM19
My offer is A*A*AB for the same four A levels mentioned if that is at all relevant?
I suppose that suggests they might be interested in a fourth subject that's a slightly lower grade but I did also apply in different circumstances (predicted grades od 4A*s rather than any actual grades yet) so it could also have nothing to do with what they might expect from a post A level application.

Yes it might even have been your offer that I had in my mind. :smile: I have to say I think it's unusual to get that specific offer though.
Reply 7
I really like physics and maths, but I'm quite liking the idea of learning computer science (I don't study it, but I've seen bits and bobs and it looks both very useful and fairly interesting)
which I know is on offer for first year NatSci.

I do struggle a bit with Chemistry, and I have - to be genuinely honest - let it slip, so as much as I want to work at it I am only being realistic.

So, in that sense, would that non A(+) grade be a poor reflection?

Reading what Doonesbury said, the answer I gather would be "no", which is reassuring. I have heard though that applicants applying for physical NatSci still get asked Chemistry questions and that'd be a tad concerning for me because I don't feel anywhere near as comfortable doing chemistry as I do physics.

I obviously can't speak for Peterhouse but I *think* we are basically saying the same thing :smile:

But see the above poster.
I just can't help but wonder if someone had applied with *just* double maths and physics, if they would have a reasonable chance of getting in (compared to those who did the classic 4). I get the impression that's more than fine. Ergo, I highly doubt they'd be asked any chemistry and so if they answered well their physics / maths questions then all is fine. But if I then apply with having done chemistry, then I presume I'll have to answer chemistry questions which I feel would put me at a disadvantage because I know I struggle a bit with chemistry. I want to continue chemistry because I want something to show for the work I've put into it, but I don't massively enjoy it partly because I don't understand it as well as other stuff. (I'm sure once I stop taking chemistry A-level it'll seem really cool again haha )

I think that's really what I'm angling at to be honest.
Reply 9
I just can't help but wonder if someone had applied with *just* double maths and physics, if they would have a reasonable chance of getting in (compared to those who did the classic 4). I get the impression that's more than fine. Ergo, I highly doubt they'd be asked any chemistry and so if they answered well their physics / maths questions then all is fine. But if I then apply with having done chemistry, then I presume I'll have to answer chemistry questions which I feel would put me at a disadvantage because I know I struggle a bit with chemistry. I want to continue chemistry because I want something to show for the work I've put into it, but I don't massively enjoy it partly because I don't understand it as well as other stuff. (I'm sure once I stop taking chemistry A-level it'll seem really cool again haha )

I think that's really what I'm angling at to be honest.

Yes they will. Especially if they want to focus on Physics. :smile:

If you are asked a chem question you can always frame your reply that "physics is more my thing but I'd approach your chemistry question like this..."

And then expect a very tricky physics follow-up :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
@DrSebWilkes there's definitely NatSci students with "just" Maths, FM and Physics.

And a couple with a B in Chemistry (and no Biology).

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/geography_and_natural_science_qu
Hello everyone

What about if someone did that (^) and chemistry as well but chose to focus on the original trio to get them as high as possible...leaving the chemistry at just be a B (for instance)? Would that be goodbye opportunity? Do they expect someone to ace everything before applying? (Yes, this is for applying post A-levels)

I reckon a B in chemistry would be a major setback for a post A-level application for phys natsci, even if you don't intend on taking chemistry in the first year. There are two, related reasons for this:

- the first year of phys natsci is (for the majority) a broader curriculum than A-levels, and you need to be open to trying new subjects and exploring different areas of science. If you tried this at A-level and it didn't go fantastically well then it doesn't bode well for university.

- since you have such a large workload, one way of making it more manageable is to have one or two subjects which you can afford to spend less time on and still do well in. If your preferred subjects are maths and physics, it's likely that you'll spend the least amount of time working on these in first year. To allow you to do this effectively, you really shouldn't be spending loads of time on the A-levels, at the expense of other subjects.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
<snip>

Yeah, thanks for this. I'll bear all this in mind, then. :smile:

Original post by Forecast
I reckon a B in chemistry would be a major setback for a post A-level application for phys natsci, even if you don't intend on taking chemistry in the first year. There are two, related reasons for this:

Well it was reasons along this that I also thought about in context of applying for NatSci. I almost wonder whether the fact I am doing chemistry A-level is weighing me down rather than pushing me up. I hope I can spend less time on physics and maths to get Chemistry to an A but ... we'll see I suppose.

EDIT: I still wanted to know hypothetically anyway
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending