The Student Room Group

Test for prostate cancer

Good Morning folks

I went to the doctors this morning and told him that I usually need to go for a wee in the middle of the night. He said this may be an early sign of prostate cancer - I celebrated my 50th birthday last week. He suggested that I have a blood test although this is not always 100% accurate and also suggested that I have my prostate checked. He said it takes a few seconds but can feel uncomfortable.

Has anyone gone through this procedure before? Is it painful and embarrassing?

Any advice greatly appreciated
Original post by geek84
Good Morning folks

I went to the doctors this morning and told him that I usually need to go for a wee in the middle of the night. He said this may be an early sign of prostate cancer - I celebrated my 50th birthday last week. He suggested that I have a blood test although this is not always 100% accurate and also suggested that I have my prostate checked. He said it takes a few seconds but can feel uncomfortable.

Prostate cancer was in the news in the last week as being a bigger killer than breast cancer. Look at the PSA test then make your own mind up.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/prostate-cancer/psa-testing/

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information/prostate-tests/psa-test
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
A mild amount of discomfort vs not catching a deadly condition. I've never had one so I can't give any first hand experience, but I know which option I'd take.
Original post by geek84
Good Morning folks

Dad had the test (negative thank goodness). He said it was over in a few seconds and was mildly uncomfortable. If you have a good GP it would be okay I reckon.
Reply 4
Original post by geek84
Good Morning folks

Hi. As far as I am aware it's a doctor having a feel of your prostate to check for any abnormalities. It will likely be a bit uncomfortable and awkward, but it's quick and for a good cause.
They are a doctor and will have done it a bunch before. They really won't care, but obviously it's pretty intimate for you. Just remember it's a medical thing to make sure you're okay and try to distract yourself by thinking of puppies or something. It will be over soon enough and you can get on with the rest of your day.

Quick Reply

Latest