The Student Room Group

Veterinary application dilemma

Currently I have an offer to study veterinary medicine at Surrey, and have just found out that I've been turned down by the RVC. BUT apparently my application was good enough that I've been put on the holding list, and if a vacancy becomes available before the May 3rd cutoff I'll be given an offer.

I rang the RVC and they told me that they can't tell me what position I am on the holding list, how likely this is to happen, or even whether in previous years offers have ended up being given to people on the holding list.

Surrey is a perfectly fine university, but I had my heart set on the RVC, so now I have a bit of a dilemma. My worry is if I left it until May to accept Surrey then I might even lose my place at Surrey as the places will fill up before I get there.

Anyone? :/
Original post by charlyrabbit
Currently I have an offer to study veterinary medicine at Surrey, and have just found out that I've been turned down by the RVC. BUT apparently my application was good enough that I've been put on the holding list, and if a vacancy becomes available before the May 3rd cutoff I'll be given an offer.

I rang the RVC and they told me that they can't tell me what position I am on the holding list, how likely this is to happen, or even whether in previous years offers have ended up being given to people on the holding list.

Surrey is a perfectly fine university, but I had my heart set on the RVC, so now I have a bit of a dilemma. My worry is if I left it until May to accept Surrey then I might even lose my place at Surrey as the places will fill up before I get there.

Surrey will have made sure not to give out too many more offers than places and even if they'd likely offer you a place for next year instead, so there's no harm waiting it out until may.
Reply 2

You need to check the UCAS rules. If you've been given an offer and it's showing on UCAS then you have until 2nd May at the earliest to decide whether to choose it as Firm or Insurance - and if you receive any offers/rejections after 31st March then you don't decide until 7th June. So you can't "lose your place at Surrey as the places will fill up before you get there".

So you don't "have a dilemma". You just have insufficient knowledge of the application process.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Juno
So you don't "have a dilemma". You just have insufficient knowledge of the application process.

Guilty! Too much time studying, not enough time looking at other stuff..
Reply 4
Guilty! Too much time studying, not enough time looking at other stuff..

Yeah, but in this case the "other stuff" is probably more important. It's not like watching Coronation Street.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending