The Student Room Group

I think I’m autistic

Hi everyone, from the title u’ve guessed it! Just looking for advice :smile:
Why I think I’m autistic (and i know that autism is different from person to person and symptoms shouldn’t represent the whole community):
-I’ve done those online autism tests and I’ve gotten autistic every time
-I’m VERY shy and I think it’s social anxiety (I’m okay online if i don’t know the person i’m speaking to) but I can’t really talk to anyone new and I won’t talk to them unless they talk to me first, i find it very hard to keep a conversation going too. in social situations, i get really panicky, i remember i went to hand in my cv in a shop in sainsburys but i was SHAKING like a leaf and i had to walk around sainsburys for like an hour and a half, rehearsing what i’d say to the lady and building up my courage to go hand it in
-i find it really hard to focus if everyone’s talking in class or on the bus or whatever, and i’ve described it as hearing white noise and i cover my ears
-i guess i’m obsessed with chemistry, I got an A* in the mocks and like meh grades in my other subjects but I prioritise chemistry and even when i have other work to do, i do chemistry, i always ask so many questions to my teachers too i think it’s pissing them right off

i’m too scared to go see the doctors to get diagnosed and what i’d do with that information

the question is should i talk to a teacher that i trust (idk if he was just saying it but he called me his good friend and now i think we’re besties) or like the welfare lady (i’ve only had a meeting with her once, but she’s got a therapy doggo), but idk what they’re gonna do with that, i’ve thought of scenarios in my head where i’m like
me: “i think i’m autistic”
teacher: “ok”
but after that i’m so scared it’s gonna be awkward afterwards, i just want them to know and i guess see what the school can do to support me??
Original post by Anonymous

-I’ve done those online autism tests and I’ve gotten autistic every time

Those tests aren't always accurate.

the question is should i talk to a teacher that i trust (idk if he was just saying it but he called me his good friend and now i think we’re besties) or like the welfare lady (i’ve only had a meeting with her once, but she’s got a therapy doggo), but idk what they’re gonna do with that, i’ve thought of scenarios in my head where i’m like
me: “i think i’m autistic”
teacher: “ok”
but after that i’m so scared it’s gonna be awkward afterwards, i just want them to know and i guess see what the school can do to support me??

Talk to someone you trust.
Talk to counsellors online if you cant do it in person. E.g Childline or Camhs may be able to help you :smile:
As mentioned in a different reply - those tests are literally just there to scare you. You're only going to take one if you're worried about it, if they tell you that you're autistic then you're more likely to go back to them because they're telling you what you want to hear in essence.
It's also important to remember there's a lot of overlap with many other conditions, such as depression, OCD and other mental health difficulties.
Reply 5
Original post by Tiger Rag
Those tests aren't always accurate.
The Baron-Cohen AQ test is the same one the clinical psychologists use though; isn't it likely that it's just not so accurate when self-administered? When I was tested I wasn't asked the questions directly but was just engaged in conversation for about three hours, and found out later the test had been applied while talking - I got a higher AQ score than any of the times I'd done it before.
Original post by Tootles
The Baron-Cohen AQ test is the same one the clinical psychologists use though; isn't it likely that it's just not so accurate when self-administered? When I was tested I wasn't asked the questions directly but was just engaged in conversation for about three hours, and found out later the test had been applied while talking - I got a higher AQ score than any of the times I'd done it before.

I don't think I explained it too well. But talking in general, I do find that online tests may not always be accurate. I've got many other medical issues which may explain some of my issues, which the online tests don't take into account. But if it's done with a person, it's more accurate.
Those online tests aren't very helpful. What you described could be someone with social anxiety who enjoys chemistry. It is possible to be autistic and not know though because sometimes high 'fucntioning' people aren't diagnosed, especially if they have no behavioural 'problems'. Talk to an adult you trust and get some guidance because either way if you're struggling then you should get some help... whether the issue is anxiety or ASD.
Reply 8
Original post by Tiger Rag
I don't think I explained it too well. But talking in general, I do find that online tests may not always be accurate. I've got many other medical issues which may explain some of my issues, which the online tests don't take into account. But if it's done with a person, it's more accurate.
I wasn't trying to correct you there so much as elaborate. Self-administered tests are inevitably going to be inaccurate in one way/direction or another. Even if you know what you're doing, you're going to be biased.

Quick Reply

Latest