The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University College Allocations 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sofiee
Do you stay in the newer accommodation or the Bailey one?

Newer accommodation. :smile: But it's roughly 50/50 bailey/not-bailey, depending on whether you're catered or not.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Mystelle
What offer did you guys get? And what were your predicted grades, if you don't mind telling me! (I applied for the same course)

I am predicted A*AA and got an AAB offer, what about you?
Original post by robinson2
I am predicted A*AA and got an AAB offer, what about you?

Predicted AAB (Psychology, Maths, Biology respectively) and got ABB offer, even though I'm not qualified for contextual lol. When did you receive your offer? I received mine on 17th Jan
Predicted AAB (Psychology, Maths, Biology respectively) and got ABB offer, even though I'm not qualified for contextual lol. When did you receive your offer? I received mine on 17th Jan

Well done for getting a lowered offer! I got my offer early December. I'm doing Business, Economics and Geography.
Well done for getting a lowered offer! I got my offer early December. I'm doing Business, Economics and Geography.

Could be that after UCAS deadline, they realised they didn't have enough applicants so they lowered my offer because they needed more people xD

So you thinking to firm Durham? :smile: Where else did you apply to?
Omggg I'm so happy for you!! They must have really wanted you then :h: It's Cambridge's loss haha
Reply 106
Original post by auburnstar
Newer accommodation. :smile: But it's roughly 50/50 bailey/not-bailey, depending on whether you're catered or not.

Whats the newer one like? I kinda wanna stay in the Bailey one just because of the location. I haven't had a chance to visit since I live in another country :frown:
Could be that after UCAS deadline, they realised they didn't have enough applicants so they lowered my offer because they needed more people xD

So you thinking to firm Durham? :smile: Where else did you apply to?

Yes I'm going to firm Durham. I've got offers from Birmingham, Royal Holloway and Newcastle and am waiting for Edinburgh still. I think I will insure Newcastle. What about you?
Yes I'm going to firm Durham. I've got offers from Birmingham, Royal Holloway and Newcastle and am waiting for Edinburgh still. I think I will insure Newcastle. What about you?

I applied for Management with Marketing at Exeter (contextual BBB), Durham, Bath (AAA-A*AB), Lancaster (AAB) and Sheffield (ABB). Already firmed Exeter with no insurance. You going to Offer-holders' Open Day at Durham?
Original post by Sofiee
Whats the newer one like? I kinda wanna stay in the Bailey one just because of the location. I haven't had a chance to visit since I live in another country :frown:

Its fair to want to stay in the Bailey. Parsons is about 10 minutes walk away, which is pretty manageable. In terms of what it is like, the flats are all modern so there are no problems like leaking, mould, anything that would be an issue with an older accommodation. The vibe is relaxed, friendly and informal.

One thing to consider is that it is a lot cheaper to live in the newer set of flats though (something like 5600 vs 7000 or something like that). If you're like me and spend roughly 20-25 pounds per week on grocery shopping, you end up saving a lot. You can eat whenever you want (good if you are a musician like me or involved in societies that start at 6 or 7pm, or if you work part-time) and don't have to eat what is set (which can be pretty boring/bland tbh). Price might not be an issue for you, nor eating lots of potatoes (can't blame you :tongue:), so in which case this is irrelevant.
Reply 110
Its fair to want to stay in the Bailey. Parsons is about 10 minutes walk away, which is pretty manageable. In terms of what it is like, the flats are all modern so there are no problems like leaking, mould, anything that would be an issue with an older accommodation. The vibe is relaxed, friendly and informal.

One thing to consider is that it is a lot cheaper to live in the newer set of flats though (something like 5600 vs 7000 or something like that). If you're like me and spend roughly 20-25 pounds per week on grocery shopping, you end up saving a lot. You can eat whenever you want (good if you are a musician like me or involved in societies that start at 6 or 7pm, or if you work part-time) and don't have to eat what is set (which can be pretty boring/bland tbh). Price might not be an issue for you, nor eating lots of potatoes (can't blame you :tongue:), so in which case this is irrelevant.

I mean I am Norwegian so potatoes aren't an issue, haha :biggrin: I'm actually not sure about catering yet, it could either be a lifesaver or unnecessary.

I just really like the vibe and location of the Bailey accommodation. I don't know about price, I'll have to see how much I get covered since I'm an international. Most of the rooms are ensuite in the new one, right? So that's good

What's the social life like in Cuths?
(edited 6 years ago)
I have a conditional offer for Psychology and I've been allocated to Collingwood!
Original post by Sofiee
I mean I am Norwegian so potatoes aren't an issue, haha :biggrin: I'm actually not sure about catering yet, it could either be a lifesaver or unnecessary.

I just really like the vibe and location of the Bailey accommodation. I don't know about price, I'll have to see how much I get covered since I'm an international. Most of the rooms are ensuite in the new one, right? So that's good

What's the social life like in Cuths?

If you are EU I think you get a tuition loan but no maintenance loan, so cost of accommodation isn't covered by the govt. Obviously best to check w Cuth's finance directly ([email protected]).

Most if not all of the accommodation in the new self-catered build at Parsons is ensuite, and I think all of the accommodation on the Bailey has shared bathrooms. The percentage on the website combines the two, which is a bit misleading.

Social life is good. People go out a lot (I don't because it's just not what I enjoy), but there's also a lot of informal parties etc in people's blocks. Nightlife being Durham, it's never going to be as good as eg Leeds, but in terms of making friends and having a good time whilst studying, it's perfectly good. :yep:
Reply 113
If you are EU I think you get a tuition loan but no maintenance loan, so cost of accommodation isn't covered by the govt. Obviously best to check w Cuth's finance directly ([email protected]).

Most if not all of the accommodation in the new self-catered build at Parsons is ensuite, and I think all of the accommodation on the Bailey has shared bathrooms. The percentage on the website combines the two, which is a bit misleading.

Social life is good. People go out a lot (I don't because it's just not what I enjoy), but there's also a lot of informal parties etc in people's blocks. Nightlife being Durham, it's never going to be as good as eg Leeds, but in terms of making friends and having a good time whilst studying, it's perfectly good. :yep:

I don't go under the EU tuition thingy so I think I'll be covered by the Norwegian government.

That's nice to hear, I do really want my own toilet but I don't know if I wanna sacrifice the Bailey location for that (if I even get an offer and allocated to Cuths)

I appreciate the info!!
Original post by Sofiee
I don't go under the EU tuition thingy so I think I'll be covered by the Norwegian government.

That's nice to hear, I do really want my own toilet but I don't know if I wanna sacrifice the Bailey location for that (if I even get an offer and allocated to Cuths)

I appreciate the info!!

No worries! Best of luck. :biggrin: Wherever you end up teaching quality is the same and that's what matters most tbh :smile:
Seems like a lot of people have been allocated to Hild Bede! Maybe one of us should start a seperate thread / Facebook group so we can all get to know each other a bit more 😅
Reply 116
Got allocated to Hild and Bede. Not the college I applied to but good enough!
Reply 117
Original post by JamesAggas_
St Hild and Bede for Geography, aint bad is it?

I hope not I've been allocated to Hild and Bede for Geography as well.
I’ve an offer for Economics and have been allocated to Trevs, which is where I applied to. I really loved the prospect of going there but unfortunately will need to turn it down 😕
I applied for Management with Marketing at Exeter (contextual BBB), Durham, Bath (AAA-A*AB), Lancaster (AAB) and Sheffield (ABB). Already firmed Exeter with no insurance. You going to Offer-holders' Open Day at Durham?

Yes, I'm going Feb 14th. Did you prefer Exeter?

Quick Reply

Latest