The Student Room Group

Am I limited to what courses I can apply to?

Hi,

I’m currently on my second year of a L3 Development, Coaching, and Fitness course, however, I have recently realised that I don’t think this is what I want to do in the future or at University.

I just want to know if I’m limited to applying to sports courses at University or will I be able to apply to any course since I have UCAS tariff points OR would I have to do another L3 course of the subject I now want to do (business, economics etc.)?

I feel like I would be able to apply to other courses, but my chances of actually getting a place would be small.

Help would be appreciated as I’m really unsure about this.
Original post by Cvnnor
Hi,

I’m currently on my second year of a L3 Development, Coaching, and Fitness course, however, I have recently realised that I don’t think this is what I want to do in the future or at University.

I just want to know if I’m limited to applying to sports courses at University or will I be able to apply to any course since I have UCAS tariff points OR would I have to do another L3 course of the subject I now want to do (business, economics etc.)?

I feel like I would be able to apply to other courses, but my chances of actually getting a place would be small.

Help would be appreciated as I’m really unsure about this.

Firstly, you need to decide what course/career you want to pursue.

Then, you need to look at the entry requirements online for that particular university. The vast majority of university level courses do require either relevant A Levels or relevant college level study. They generally specify UCAS points or grades and also subject requirements.

It would also be very hard from a personal statement perspective to justify your decision with no relevant study or experience, so this is also something you would need to consider.
Reply 2
not easy but definitely possible, business would arguably be easier to get a place you just need to find a way to link your sport with business in a personal statement, even if you don't plan to use it in the real world
Reply 3
Original post by Tom3198
not easy but definitely possible, business would arguably be easier to get a place you just need to find a way to link your sport with business in a personal statement, even if you don't plan to use it in the real world

On my current course we do Sport as a Business so that could somewhat be linked
Reply 4
Original post by Charlotte's Web
Firstly, you need to decide what course/career you want to pursue.

Then, you need to look at the entry requirements online for that particular university. The vast majority of university level courses do require either relevant A Levels or relevant college level study. They generally specify UCAS points or grades and also subject requirements.

It would also be very hard from a personal statement perspective to justify your decision with no relevant study or experience, so this is also something you would need to consider.

On my current course we do Sport as a Business so that has some relevance.

What do you think the best steps to take would be? I really don’t want to do another course at college in order to get to Uni for a different course other than sport
Original post by Cvnnor
On my current course we do Sport as a Business so that has some relevance.

What do you think the best steps to take would be? I really don’t want to do another course at college in order to get to Uni for a different course other than sport

You may need to unfortunately. The only way to find out is, as I explained above, having a look at entry requirements for some courses you do want to do, and seeing whether your current qualifications meet those. If you have done A Levels or equivalent, you may be able to apply immediately. If not, you may be able to do an access course which is 1 year. The requirements will vary by university.
Reply 6
Original post by Charlotte's Web
You may need to unfortunately. The only way to find out is, as I explained above, having a look at entry requirements for some courses you do want to do, and seeing whether your current qualifications meet those. If you have done A Levels or equivalent, you may be able to apply immediately. If not, you may be able to do an access course which is 1 year. The requirements will vary by university.

I’ve checked the requirements for the Uni I’d like to go to (Sheff Hallam) and their requirements say:

“We expect you to demonstrate through your personal statement an interest in and awareness of business or some level of practical experience.

Normally, five GCSEs at grade C or grade 4 or above including English language and mathematics, plus one of the following

112 UCAS Points, including at least 64 points from two A Levels or equivalent BTEC National Qualifications We accept AS levels and general studies.”

I will have over the amount of points required after my course, too.

Doesn’t state that the points have to be relevant to business which I believe may be a good thing, just that I have to show an interest and awareness in my PS.

I believe I would be able to do this as I currently have my own shoe business on the side which shows my experience

Hopefully this a good sign :smile:
Reply 7
Bump
Original post by Cvnnor
I’ve checked the requirements for the Uni I’d like to go to (Sheff Hallam) and their requirements say:

“We expect you to demonstrate through your personal statement an interest in and awareness of business or some level of practical experience.

Normally, five GCSEs at grade C or grade 4 or above including English language and mathematics, plus one of the following

112 UCAS Points, including at least 64 points from two A Levels or equivalent BTEC National Qualifications We accept AS levels and general studies.”

I will have over the amount of points required after my course, too.

Doesn’t state that the points have to be relevant to business which I believe may be a good thing, just that I have to show an interest and awareness in my PS.

I believe I would be able to do this as I currently have my own shoe business on the side which shows my experience

Hopefully this a good sign :smile:

Ring Hallam up or go to an open day and talk to them directly about your background and what they expect from you to get an offer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending