The Student Room Group

TV license pestering me -.-

After them sending me lots of letters over the past year, I come back after lunch and find that someone tried to visit.

I do not use my TV, and I do not watch BBC Iplayer on my PC, should I just tell them this if they visit?

I have a TV connected to a sky box (that I used to use when I had the license and watched TV), will they just incriminate me because of this? (Its all always turned off)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
After them sending me lots of letters over the past year, I come back after lunch and find that someone tried to visit.

I do not use my TV, and I do not watch BBC Iplayer on my PC, should I just tell them this if they visit?

I have a TV connected to a sky box (that I used to use when I had the license and watched TV), will they just incriminate me because of this? (Its all always turned off)

Just call them and explain. It's not rocket science...
Reply 2
Original post by philipd
Just call them and explain. It's not rocket science...

I have no credit :tongue:

Or just just fill in a form online that takes all of 60 seconds to complete??

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/telling-us-you-dont-need-a-tv-licence

Just make sure you meet their criteria for not needling a license.
Reply 4
Original post by jestersnow

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/telling-us-you-dont-need-a-tv-licence

So they will visit to confirm, how do they know that I don't need a tv license? I really dont need one but I own a TV
you do not need a licence to own a telly... just to use it.
So they will visit to confirm, how do they know that I don't need a tv license? I really dont need one but I own a TV

You will get a confirmation email with a reference number on it. If they come out again show them the email / reference. Read the conditions that satisfy if you need a license or not first though.
Reply 7
You have a tv plugged into a skybox? This will like count as 'installed for the purposes of recieving television' and so requires a licence.

Get rid of that skybox and unplug the tv from any arial
Reply 8

Are they connected to an aerial and plugged in to the mains.

You have to be able to demonstrate incontrivertably that you aren't watching TV. If you have a Sky box (or any other such device) plugged in to a TV, you are able to receive BBC television transmissions and are thus liable to pay a TV license.
Reply 9
Original post by Ezisola
You have a tv plugged into a skybox? This will like count as 'installed for the purposes of recieving television' and so requires a licence.

Get rid of that skybox and unplug the tv from any arial

Original post by Tootles

You have to be able to demonstrate incontrivertably that you aren't watching TV. If you have a Sky box (or any other such device) plugged in to a TV, you are able to receive BBC television transmissions and are thus liable to pay a TV license.

Mains just means socket right? Its not plugged into the mains then, and idk how I unplug it from the aerial? I mean there is this thing in the wall that you use to connect the sky box is it that?
Mains just means socket right? Its not plugged into the mains then, and idk how I unplug it from the aerial? I mean there is this thing in the wall that you use to connect the sky box is it that?
Yes and yes.
There's no legal requirement for you to do anything at all, including filling in any online forms. If they do come you don't have to let them enter.

Original post by the bear
you do not need a licence to own a telly... just to use it.

Not true.

Original post by jestersnow

You could do that, although there's no requirement to.
Reply 12

you are under no legal obligation to let them in

and i certainly would not let them with tv and sky box, chances are you'll incriminate yourself.

watching bbc iplayer isn't allowed if you don't have a licence. if you tell them this expect a hefty fine.

since you are actually watching tv [via pc] i would recommend that you just pay the licence like everybody else
Original post by ANM775
you are under no legal obligation to let them in

and i certainly would not let them with tv and sky box, chances are you'll incriminate yourself.

watching bbc iplayer isn't allowed if you don't have a licence. if you tell them this expect a hefty fine.

since you are actually watching tv [via pc] i would recommend that you just pay the licence like everybody else

read my post again I said I do not watch BBC Iplayer :smile:
Reply 14
read my post again I said I do not watch BBC Iplayer :smile:

oh, ok. my bad
Original post by Tootles

It's up to them to prove that you are using the services, so you don't really have to do anything. I cancelled my licence and they didn't even check whether it was kosher (it was) ...I also received a nice refund from them.

Just phone them when you have credit. Never let them in and I wouldn't even attempt to talk to them if they show up at your house.
Just shows the naivity of the people here, for one you are doing their job for them two by contacting them they know you live there so instead of "to the tenant" letters it will be in your name and accusing you of breaking the law (but worded in such a way they claim doesn't accuse but claiming you "may" need a license)

Had a argument years ago with a flatmate as I had at tv in living room as a media server, no iplayer, not connected to aerial or skybox and she threatened to shop me into the TVL and how they can easily tell the exact room a tv is on and what channel you are watching.

Thats nonsense and even at its peak they can't pinpoint a tv let alone what channel, they can tell one is being used if it was a old fashioned pre LCD one but not accurate so it could be upstairs of your neighbours house.

I remember 5 years ago letting one in and they treated it like a interegation, when I said I didn't have a aerial connected and just moved in he said he would come back a month later, he did with a "friend" then started questioning me and the "Friend" wanted to go to the "toilet" and of course I heard him opening bedroom door, cupboard doors and not even go into bathroom.
Remove the cable that connects to the ariel completely and put it somewhere safe and then you are legal. You must be watching live TV to break the law..except watching on the Iplayer which you don't.

We rented a house to 4 Chinese girl students and managed their bills and they were adement that there was no TV license required as they did not use it. So we unplugged the cable but left it by the TV. After a few weeks they got a 'visit' from the TV license people the girl who answered the door was so confused she let him in and went to get the other girls as her English was not too good and guess what the TV was suddenly connected and were told if they bought a license there and then they would not be fined £1,000. DO NOT LET THEM IN!!

They were so angry as they had not connected the TV to the Ariel.
Reply 18
Original post by melliottme
Remove the cable that connects to the ariel completely and put it somewhere safe and then you are legal. You must be watching live TV to break the law..except watching on the Iplayer which you don't.

We rented a house to 4 Chinese girl students and managed their bills and they were adement that there was no TV license required as they did not use it. So we unplugged the cable but left it by the TV. After a few weeks they got a 'visit' from the TV license people the girl who answered the door was so confused she let him in and went to get the other girls as her English was not too good and guess what the TV was suddenly connected and were told if they bought a license there and then they would not be fined £1,000. DO NOT LET THEM IN!!

They were so angry as they had not connected the TV to the Ariel.

sounds to me like they were secretly watching it on the sly and "forgot" to unplug the cable but probably remembered the ariel...
Original post by YaliaV
It's up to them to prove that you are using the services, so you don't really have to do anything. I cancelled my licence and they didn't even check whether it was kosher (it was) ...I also received a nice refund from them.

Just phone them when you have credit. Never let them in and I wouldn't even attempt to talk to them if they show up at your house.

A licence is required if television equipment has been installed for the purpose of receiving live television. Plugging a tv into a skybox would likely prove that installation intent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending