The Student Room Group

can A*A*A*A international student get into medicine through clearing

...is it possible?

Scroll to see replies

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression medicine is so competitive there are very few if any clearing places available. Again, I'm no expert on medicine degrees but that's what I've gathered.
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression medicine is so competitive there are very few if any clearing places available. Again, I'm no expert on medicine degrees but that's what I've gathered.

oh no :frown: ive been confused about medicine and biomedical engineering for years now and when I finally realise medicine is my actual passion, I miss all the deadlines... *sigh*
Reply 3
I would have usually said no, but I know someone who got 2 offers through clearing for medicine. I was surprised but apparently it happens..?
Original post by sarah99630
...is it possible?

Usually not; there's quotas, and int. applicants are usually so strong for uk med schools that practically all of them meet their offers. The clearing spots are often UK/EU spaces. I have heard of it happening in some years; You're gonna have to wait and find out tbh.

There's occasionally some in UCAS Extra.
Original post by DrawTheLine

There was 50 places at one uni last year. Grade deflation and extra places this year means it's likely gonna happen again.
oh no :frown: ive been confused about medicine and biomedical engineering for years now and when I finally realise medicine is my actual passion, I miss all the deadlines... *sigh*

As I said, I could be wrong. I've never been interested in medicine so don't know how it all works in terms of clearing. However I do know it is very competitive. If you can't get in through clearing, you might have to re-apply in October for 2019 entry.
Reply 7
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Usually not; there's quotas, and int. applicants are usually so strong for uk med schools that practically all of them meet their offers. The clearing spots are often UK/EU spaces. I have heard of it happening in some years; You're gonna have to wait and find out tbh.

There's occasionally some in UCAS Extra.

thank you! what if I apply for biomedical engineering in let's say, Glasgow, then once I reach there i request to please shift to medicine, will that be possible once im already a student there? thanks.
There was 50 places at one uni last year. Grade deflation and extra places this year means it's likely gonna happen again.

Ah, thank you. I guess it just depends on the universities and if the OP wants to go to the ones offering clearing places.

OP - maybe you should contact the universities you are interested in and ask about clearing, they can give you some idea about it.
Reply 9
thank you! what if I apply for biomedical engineering in let's say, Glasgow, then once I reach there i request to please shift to medicine, will that be possible once im already a student there? thanks.

I am 99% sure you can't transfer to Medicine. Sorry. (Also you will need the UKCAT/BMAT for some unis even if there is a place through clearing)

If someone drops out of the course and is an international student, perhaps - that's very unlikely though; I wouldn't put any expectatation on it.
Original post by chance23
I am 99% sure you can't transfer to Medicine. Sorry. (Also you will need the UKCAT/BMAT for some unis even if there is a place through clearing)

oh God this is stressful haha, I'm really worried, I guess I'll have to go for BMEng. thank you!
oh God this is stressful haha, I'm really worried, I guess I'll have to go for BMEng. thank you!

If it's something you really want then take a gap year and reapply and hopefully you can get in that way.
Original post by chance23
If it's something you really want then take a gap year and reapply and hopefully you can get in that way.

yes maybe I should consider that. Australia has March intakes, I could consider that also. thanks.
...is it possible?

you'll get in. you're an international student. don't worry too much.
Original post by Audrey18

thank you, haha doesn't being an international student make it worse though?
Original post by Audrey18

Absolute nonsense. Places for international students at medical school are strictly limited and contested fiercely.
thank you, haha doesn't being an international student make it worse though?

It does :biggrin:
It does :biggrin:

hehe, gap year it is lol. (considering it's too late to apply NOW)
hehe, gap year it is lol. (considering it's too late to apply NOW)

Obviously check UCAS Extra when it launches, and clearing when it's happening, but prepare for a gap year also.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending