The Student Room Group

What would happen..

If I did a HND with the Open Univeristy, then did a BSC at a Brick Uni. Then about two years later decided to do a degree or MsCi at a Brick Uni totally unrelated to my first degree. What would happen would I get funding for the second degree?

For example : let’s say the BSC was Psychology and the MsCI In Biological Sciences

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elmosandy
If I did a HND with the Open Univeristy, then did a BSC at a Brick Uni. Then about two years later decided to do a degree or MsCi at a Brick Uni totally unrelated to my first degree. What would happen would I get funding for the second degree?

For example : let’s say the BSC was Psychology and the MsCI In Biological Sciences

Is the MsCi just a masters or an integrated masters?
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
Is the MsCi just a masters or an integrated masters?

Integrated masters 3 years bsc + one year masters so an undergraduate masters
Integrated masters 3 years bsc + one year masters so an undergraduate masters

Hi Elmosanday,

As the overall course is an undergraduate, your previous degree would be classed as an equal level qualification (ELQ), this means you wouldn't be eligible for funding.

Just to let you know though, some courses are exceptions to the ELQ rule and you can receive funding for these exception courses for a second degree. Part-time STEM courses are exceptions and biological sciences usually fall into this category. If you were doing this integrated masters biological sciences course as a part-time course, it would very likely be funded. I'd recommend speaking to the university if that option sounds like something you'd be interested in.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.
Reply 4
Original post by John B SFE
Hi Elmosanday,

As the overall course is an undergraduate, your previous degree would be classed as an equal level qualification (ELQ), this means you wouldn't be eligible for funding.

Just to let you know though, some courses are exceptions to the ELQ rule and you can receive funding for these exception courses for a second degree. Part-time STEM courses are exceptions and biological sciences usually fall into this category. If you were doing this integrated masters biological sciences course as a part-time course, it would very likely be funded. I'd recommend speaking to the university if that option sounds like something you'd be interested in.

Kind regards,

John.

What would happen if I took a HND or like a HNC then did a HND / 2 year at red brick uni and didn’t finish the degree? Or even did first year let’s say Pharmacy and then wanted to go a biological sciences MsCI after two years of dropped out of 1st year Pharmacy ?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi Elmosanday,

Kind regards,

John.

Also what if I paid for the Open Uni degree myself?
What would happen if I took a HND or like a HNC then did a HND / 2 year at red brick uni and didn’t finish the degree? Or even did first year let’s say Pharmacy and then wanted to go a biological sciences MsCI after two years of dropped out of 1st year Pharmacy ?

Hi elmosandy,

I just need to ask for some clarification if that's alright.

So in that example, you'd do an HND that lasts 2 years, then do 1 year of a degree, then withdraw from that course and apply to do the integrated masters course in biological sciences. Is that correct?

Thank you,

John.
Reply 7
Hi elmosandy,

So in that example, you'd do an HND that lasts 2 years, then do 1 year of a degree, then withdraw from that course and apply to do the integrated masters course in biological sciences. Is that correct?

Thank you,

John.

Yeah
Yeah

Thanks for answering that.

In that situation, you'd have 3 years of previous study, when calculating student finance, we'll take the length of the new course, plus 1 additional year, minus any years of previous study.

For example, if the full time integrated masters course is 4 years, this would work out as:

4+1-3= 2 years of funding for the course, and you'd receive the full funding in the final 2 years. You'd still be able to apply for maintenance loan and supplementary grants (childcare grant and parents learning allowance) in the first 2 years.

Kind regards,

John.
Reply 9
Thanks for answering that.

In that situation, you'd have 3 years of previous study, when calculating student finance, we'll take the length of the new course, plus 1 additional year, minus any years of previous study.

For example, if the full time integrated masters course is 4 years, this would work out as:

4+1-3= 2 years of funding for the course, and you'd receive the full funding in the final 2 years. You'd still be able to apply for maintenance loan and supplementary grants (childcare grant and parents learning allowance) in the first 2 years.

Kind regards,

John.

Ah okay thank you! I know with the OU you can get a bursary or pay for yourself. If I paid the HNC/HND with the bursary or with my own money would I still get funding , would the situation be the same as you described above?
Ah okay thank you! I know with the OU you can get a bursary or pay for yourself. If I paid the HNC/HND with the bursary or with my own money would I still get funding , would the situation be the same as you described above?

Hi Elmosandy,

You're more than welcome.

They actually take any previous study into account when working out your entitlement, even if it was self-funded.

Kind regards,

John.
Reply 11
Hi Elmosandy,

You're more than welcome.

They actually take any previous study into account when working out your entitlement, even if it was self-funded.

Kind regards,

John.

Ah I see, so if someone paid for a bsc via open university themselves they would receive no funding for a second degree unless part-time/certain courses ?
Reply 12
Hi elmosandy,

Thank you,

John.

Don’t know if I’ve made myself clear I’ll repeat. I meant A: if I did a HNC in Sport, went into Year2 entry at a Redbrick Uni, then dropped out and did a intergrated masters in something not related to the HND. Or if I just did a HND from Open Uni and never completed a BSC for that subject, and then did a intergrated masters in something not related
Ah I see, so if someone paid for a bsc via open university themselves they would receive no funding for a second degree unless part-time/certain courses ?

Hi Elmosandy,

Unfortunately that's correct, any years of previous study are taken into account.

Best wishes,

John.
Reply 14
Hi Elmosandy,

Unfortunately that's correct, any years of previous study are taken into account.

Best wishes,

John.

Right so just checking:

Example A: if I did a HNC in sport via open uni and went into year 2 entry at a Red Brick Uni but dropped out and then started a MsCI in Biological Science two years later. I would receive funding for all four years ?

Example B: If I did a HND in Psychology with Open Uni but never completed the degree / Year 3 in psychology but then decided to do a MsCi in something unrelated I would get funding for the four years of a MsCI correct?

3: What would happen if I did a foundation year at redbrick uni dropped out and then did a BsC in something unrelated?

Sorry for all these questions!
Reply 15
Right so just checking:

Example A: if I did a HNC in sport via open uni and went into year 2 entry at a Red Brick Uni but dropped out and then started a MsCI in Biological Science two years later. I would receive funding for all four years ?

Example B: If I did a HND in Psychology with Open Uni but never completed the degree / Year 3 in psychology but then decided to do a MsCi in something unrelated I would get funding for the four years of a MsCI correct?

3: What would happen if I did a foundation year at redbrick uni dropped out and then did a BsC in something unrelated?

Sorry for all these questions!

Just jumping in to say it's already been answered
A. No. You have to deduct the prior years of study from the MSci but you get 1 gift year. 4+1-1-1
B. No. As above. 4+1-2 (assuming you don't start year 3 of psychology)
3. If you had no other prior years of university education (whether you paid for it or not) that would be fine. And you wouldn't need to dropout, attending or completing the foundation uses your gift year, that's all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Doonesbury
A. No
B. No.
3. If you had no other prior years of university education (whether you paid for it or not) that would be fine. And you wouldn't need to dropout, attending or completing the foundation uses your gift year, that's all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right didn’t John B SFE just say that if I did HND Open Uni And one year degree I would get funding for a MsCi?

And okay cool.

And fair enough thank you 😊
Reply 17
A. No. You have to deduct the prior years of study from the MSci but you get 1 gift year. 4+1-1-1
B. No. As above. 4+1-2 (assuming you don't start year 3 of psychology)

Posted from TSR Mobile

So in both examples I would only get funded for two years?
Reply 18
Right didn’t John B SFE just say that if I did HND Open Uni And one year degree I would get funding for a MsCi?

And okay cool.

And fair enough thank you 😊

No he said prior study has to be taken into account.

And see my edit. Hopefully you can understand why now?

If you have special circumstances (eg illness) that made you drop out then it may be different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
No he said prior study has to be taken into account.

And see my edit. Hopefully you can understand why now?

If you have special circumstances (eg illness) that made you drop out then it may be different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So basically in both examples I would only get two years funding?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending