The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should depression count as a disability?

What do you think? I've heard many people say it should be... although many employers wouldn't recognize it. Should it be petitioned or passed laws for to declare mental illness as disability? Or what other courses of actions exist in your opinion?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by kokola9000
What do you think? I've heard many people say it should be... although many employers wouldn't recognize it. Should it be petitioned or passed laws for to declare mental illness as disability? Or what other courses of actions exist in your opinion?

I think chemical imbalance and permanent depression from giving birth yes as thes are a physical thing that you can’t get rid of

But depression in general no as you can overcome if so it’s not a disability as it’s not permanent.
Depends how it affects you.
Original post by Lejax
I think chemical imbalance and permanent depression from giving birth yes as thes are a physical thing that you can’t get rid of

But depression in general no as you can overcome if so it’s not a disability as it’s not permanent.

Disagree, everyone is different its the butterfly effect or whatever you want to call it, someone could of been raised in well off family and had the best of everything and feel depressed, the same person could of been raised in severe poverty and love life.

Some things just don't make sense, I grew up being treated by dirt so often in everyday life that I just got used to feeling low, from father seriously ill (despite having a degree he got in the early 70s back when they were hard to come by) being treated like benefit scum, social class based school so everyone on benefits went into the thicko classes, anyone middle class or above in the top classes regardless of ability, free tuition for the middle class kids, benefit claimaint kids told theres no point as they won't amount to anything.

Sure im also autistic but that just made matters far worse as I still got 100% in my exams and was called slow even accused of cheating by my guidance teacher.

Bullied over weight, apperance, social class then had a family member murdered and refused any councelling for grief, had that family members newborn stolen by social work as they twisted the law.

I can go on.

But point is where is the line? Even if you work through all that with support the scars are there for life.

On the other hand remember at the peak of my depression being refused a councelling session at university as this girl who just left home and was upset she broke up with her first boyfriend felt the world was ending, they gave my 1 hour slot to her and yet I had a family member murdered! Imagine how much worse that makes you feel witht he reasoning as I wasn't burst out in tears I was coping.
Reply 4
It already is a disability.

“The Equality Act says you have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial, adverse, and long term effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.”

If your depression fits those characteristics and an employer “doesn’t recognise it” then they’re breaking the law.

An illness won’t be a disability in all cases of the illness. Mental or physical. If it fits the requirements then it is considered a disability.
Yes, if it affects your daily life, meaning you are no longer able to carry out certain tasks. Same as someone with a physical illness, they can no longer do certain daily things. It's the same thing, just not visible.
Reply 6
Original post by cat_mac
It already is a disability.

“The Equality Act says you have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial, adverse, and long term effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.”

If your depression fits those characteristics and an employer “doesn’t recognise it” then they’re breaking the law.

An illness won’t be a disability in all cases of the illness. Mental or physical. If it fits the requirements then it is considered a disability.

What country does the Equality Act relate to?
(Cuz I'm moving then lol)...
Reply 7

The UK 😊
Reply 8
Original post by drbluebox
Disagree, everyone is different its the butterfly effect or whatever you want to call it, someone could of been raised in well off family and had the best of everything and feel depressed, the same person could of been raised in severe poverty and love life.

Some things just don't make sense, I grew up being treated by dirt so often in everyday life that I just got used to feeling low, from father seriously ill (despite having a degree he got in the early 70s back when they were hard to come by) being treated like benefit scum, social class based school so everyone on benefits went into the thicko classes, anyone middle class or above in the top classes regardless of ability, free tuition for the middle class kids, benefit claimaint kids told theres no point as they won't amount to anything.

Sure im also autistic but that just made matters far worse as I still got 100% in my exams and was called slow even accused of cheating by my guidance teacher.

Bullied over weight, apperance, social class then had a family member murdered and refused any councelling for grief, had that family members newborn stolen by social work as they twisted the law.

I can go on.

But point is where is the line? Even if you work through all that with support the scars are there for life.

On the other hand remember at the peak of my depression being refused a councelling session at university as this girl who just left home and was upset she broke up with her first boyfriend felt the world was ending, they gave my 1 hour slot to her and yet I had a family member murdered! Imagine how much worse that makes you feel witht he reasoning as I wasn't burst out in tears I was coping.

I understand your point but anything that’s curable shouldn’t be classed as a disability in my mind

Sure they should still be treated well but there’s a difference between helping and treating in comparison to classifying it as a disability

Are you saying someone who has a temporary case of depression due to family death should be called disabled have special treatment all their life even when they are not depressed

The answer is no they are mentally ill with depression but much like any curable serious illness it should be cured and prevented from happening again no more than that same with everyone perhaps people whom are at high risk of depression should have measures in place but that isn’t a disability

Your losing sight of its meaning a disability is something you live with depression is curable unless it’s clinical or chemical

And if depression was classified as a disability disability would lose meaning as nearly everyone suffers from depression once in their life

Your saying you are low and it never goes away that’s mental illness and as I said if it’s proven in curable then yes it’s a disability but I won’t accept the plain ******** of everything being classed as a disability

And the level of effect should matter too if your mildly low all your life that could just aswell be your personality there are plenty of pessimistic or nihilistic individuals whom have volatile personalities these are likely to suffer from depression do to lack of a goal or purpose and druggies whom also suffer from depression and such to give such a loose term as depression the classification of disability is to say many un warranted individuals be treat specially because of their mentality

I personally have depression, and I got a scholarship because of it. Im not sure if I should be offended or not.
Reply 10
I was once depressed for a insanely long time and with fair reasons court family deaths abuse I was a victim of the lot and more most in my position would have been sectioned as insane

I was warrant for help what I didn’t receive so I understand some of your point but understand I’m also autistic but no longer have severe depression I no longer feel that way and I feel I’m in a position to say I shouldn’t have been classified as disabled because of my depression it’s not a disability only the serious incurable cases are

Now I do have autism that is a disability it causes me trouble now and forever it does physically emotionally and mentally effect me and I will never be cured of it it’s a disability in every way
Reply 11
There are many serious conditions and problems you can suffer from what can be cured and their nearly all classified as illness whether mental or physical

we should have policies that offer greater help to people’s suffering from them but not the same ones applied to a disabled person
Original post by Lejax
I understand your point but anything that’s curable shouldn’t be classed as a disability in my mind

Sure they should still be treated well but there’s a difference between helping and treating in comparison to classifying it as a disability

Are you saying someone who has a temporary case of depression due to family death should be called disabled have special treatment all their life even when they are not depressed

The answer is no they are mentally ill with depression but much like any curable serious illness it should be cured and prevented from happening again no more than that same with everyone perhaps people whom are at high risk of depression should have measures in place but that isn’t a disability

Your losing sight of its meaning a disability is something you live with depression is curable unless it’s clinical or chemical

And if depression was classified as a disability disability would lose meaning as nearly everyone suffers from depression once in their life

Your saying you are low and it never goes away that’s mental illness and as I said if it’s proven in curable then yes it’s a disability but I won’t accept the plain ******** of everything being classed as a disability

And the level of effect should matter too if your mildly low all your life that could just aswell be your personality there are plenty of pessimistic or nihilistic individuals whom have volatile personalities these are likely to suffer from depression do to lack of a goal or purpose and druggies whom also suffer from depression and such to give such a loose term as depression the classification of disability is to say many un warranted individuals be treat specially because of their mentality

Why do you think its temporary? its affected me for 14 years as of now as never had help bar tiny individual things over the years which were more of a placebo, still you never answered about the fine lines.

I have thought about suicide, I have been single since then, dropped out of university as couldn't deal with it and unable to work and even if Ic an better it would take years if not over a decade since I was not only refused support at the time.

By the way before even the death I had a ex that was clingy and hit me on a few occasions, victim of a few sexual assaults, beaten up at school, called worthless by teachers despite getting good grades, literally starved when I left home losing a few stone, are you saying theres no long term damage from any of that?

So even if its "curable" then that means nothing if you aren't given the cure and the longer you go without it the worse the health affects get so what might of worked at the start now does nothing much like a drug the longer you take it the more your body gets used to it and needs larger dosages, your mental health gets worse and takes far more to heal.

The point is sometimes it is outright a disability, other times it can become a disability because treatment hasn't been given in time or to a good enough level (or at all)
Original post by Lejax
There are many serious conditions and problems you can suffer from what can be cured and their nearly all classified as illness whether mental or physical

we should have policies that offer greater help to people’s suffering from them but not the same ones applied to a disabled person

What kind of greater help? Why not the same help?

If someone is severely ill, from cancer or depression say, to the point where they struggle on a daily basis to a similar or even greater extent than someone with a permanent disability, such as having no legs - then why should the help be any different, for the period of time that they need it? Surely the only difference is that there's a time frame?

Some people would argue that autism isn't a disability, just a neurological difference. That doesn't mean it isn't disabling.
Reply 14
Original post by Ribbits

If someone is severely ill, from cancer or depression say, to the point where they struggle on a daily basis to a similar or even greater extent than someone with a permanent disability, such as having no legs - then why should the help be any different, for the period of time that they need it? Surely the only difference is that there's a time frame?

Some people would argue that autism isn't a disability, just a neurological difference. That doesn't mean it isn't disabling.

What about laziness? I find that it's also disabling.
Reply 15
if it debilitates you then yes.
Reply 16
Original post by Harjot
What about laziness? I find that it's also disabling.

oh shut up

The Americans with Disabilities Act can also class depression as a disability.
Original post by Ribbits

I’m not @Lejax so I can’t say for sure, but I think they meant greater help than what’s available for depression, rather than greater help than other disabilities get.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Allie4
oh shut up

That's not very nice.

The point that I was (very sarcastically) trying to illustrate is that disabling != disability. One is temporal/present, one is not necessarily.

Is it not also strange to try to project physical and mental issues equally/with the same terminology?

Latest