The Student Room Group

D to Pass?

Started Physics this year (Year 12) and had a very discouraging result from my most recent electricity test, OCR A. I got 24/55, which was a D grade. Could be worse, I know, but I don't want it to get worse. At best, I'd like an A in Physics (Linear, no AS), but I know realistically I'll have to settle with a B/C. I'd rather push swallow my pride and ask, I've been to my sixth form's workshops but believe me when I say they're utterly useless.
Any tips?
Maths I can do, Physics I can't. Don't ask me how, I don't know. I could really use whatever help I can get.
Original post by thewinterstudent
Started Physics this year (Year 12) and had a very discouraging result from my most recent electricity test, OCR A. I got 24/55, which was a D grade. Could be worse, I know, but I don't want it to get worse. At best, I'd like an A in Physics (Linear, no AS), but I know realistically I'll have to settle with a B/C. I'd rather push swallow my pride and ask, I've been to my sixth form's workshops but believe me when I say they're utterly useless.
Any tips?
Maths I can do, Physics I can't. Don't ask me how, I don't know. I could really use whatever help I can get.

Bump?
Reply 2
At first physics is a bit of a struggle but it gets better as you work at it. What I do is make a summary after finishing each topic and go over every bit in detail. Then find some basic questions and once you are happy with them, try some harder ones.
I got 9A*s at Gcse and I find a level physics way too hard. Its just so mentally straining
Original post by Fighter365
I got 9A*s at Gcse and I find a level physics way too hard. Its just so mentally straining

Basically the same as me (8A*s, 2As). I just don't know what it is. It's my college's worst performed subject, but with the state of the lessons and workshops I go to, I can see why.
physics, like any of alevel tbh, you need to push yourself to understand and keep developing constantly; don't stop studying.

physics is a really interesting subject however so if you are naturally curious about physics, doing further reading and research shouldn't be an issue.
Original post by BTAnonymous
physics, like any of alevel tbh, you need to push yourself to understand and keep developing constantly; don't stop studying.

physics is a really interesting subject however so if you are naturally curious about physics, doing further reading and research shouldn't be an issue.

I find that it is an interesting subject - the content (other than electricity, which bores me) is very interesting to me - the staff, however...
I'm not planning to take Physics further, but I am planning to take maths further, so you can understand my concern/interest in it.
I find that it is an interesting subject - the content (other than electricity, which bores me) is very interesting to me - the staff, however...
I'm not planning to take Physics further, but I am planning to take maths further, so you can understand my concern/interest in it.

electricity does suck tbh. everyone hates it pretty much.

there's nothing you can really do I guess. just plow through it till you finish and you'll be relieved.
Its not the end of the world getting a D. In the first year a friend of mine (who I wont name) got 3 E's and a U in his A's. He now studies civil engineering at city. If you love the subject that much, you will be able to turn it around. It may be hard now, but trust me if you get an A/B rather than a B/C/D it will be worth it.

Hope this helps
Original post by Andrew97
Its not the end of the world getting a D. In the first year a friend of mine (who I wont name) got 3 E's and a U in his A's. He now studies civil engineering at city. If you love the subject that much, you will be able to turn it around. It may be hard now, but trust me if you get an A/B rather than a B/C/D it will be worth it.

Hope this helps

I'm trying my hardest to turn it around. My teachers arrange periodic retests - one of which is tomorrow - so I have the opportunity to. I've been working for it all week, so here's hoping it pays off.
I did A Level Physics and found Electronics dull but ended up doing and passing Physics degree!!

Best online resource for A Level Physics by far is Dr Physics on youtube, he explains the concepts really well and relates them to the equations.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DrPhysicsA

Any tips?
hi. in your case, you need to love Physics to excel in it. I've heard that when you got stuck at certain subject, you watch one or a few videos related to that subject to deepen your interest in it. the triggered imagination and curiosity propel your motivation forward, hence boosting your learning capability and capacity.
here's one physics video i'd like to recommend:
https://youtu.be/0NbBjNiw4tk
Any tips?

Most people hate electricity. As with a lot of things, it will make sense over time. I never understood it at all in Year 12 but when I came back to it a year later it just clicked. Have some faith in your ability!
Original post by stanzarowando
hi. in your case, you need to love Physics to excel in it. I've heard that when you got stuck at certain subject, you watch one or a few videos related to that subject to deepen your interest in it. the triggered imagination and curiosity propel your motivation forward, hence boosting your learning capability and capacity.
here's one physics video i'd like to recommend:
https://youtu.be/0NbBjNiw4tk

Original post by cakeboi
Most people hate electricity. As with a lot of things, it will make sense over time. I never understood it at all in Year 12 but when I came back to it a year later it just clicked. Have some faith in your ability!

Original post by CraigFowler
I did A Level Physics and found Electronics dull but ended up doing and passing Physics degree!!

Best online resource for A Level Physics by far is Dr Physics on youtube, he explains the concepts really well and relates them to the equations.

Thank you guys so much! I suppose it makes sense - if you like a subject you put more effort in. I absolutely adore maths, hence why I pay so much attention. I'll watch that video you reccommended tomorrow when I have time, and also thanks for recommending Dr Physics - I'll look at him too!
Thank you again!
Original post by CraigFowler

Seconded, these are excellent. I am a teacher and when I had to teach some of the medical/comms/electrical engineering stuff for the first time, (the CIE 'Applications of physics') I found these videos very useful for getting to grips with the new stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest