The Student Room Group

Will my GCSES hinder the chances of me applying to Oxford?

I had little passion for education in my younger years, From Year 7 to Year 11, I did not understand the importance of education and I mainly focused on other things, near the end of Year 11, I became very passionate about English, I liked English literature, because it enabled me to analyse and think critically about different works of masterful literature, I liked English Language because I could use my imagination to write creatively and see the clever language techniques and strategies writers used to convey many elements. I found language and literature so powerful that it would make me express emotions whilst reading/writing.

By the time I found my passion for English, it was too late, I had 2 weeks until the exams, so I decided to revise all the content I had missed for English and I attempted to study other subjects in the process because I came to the realization that education was indeed important. The step that would get me higher was A levels, so I aimed for the minimum GCSE requirements (With the little time I had) so I could do A levels at Sixth Form.

However, me aiming for the minimum, lowered my potential as I could not express the ideas and theories I had to fit in the time constraints of my exams. To top it all off, my GCSE subjects weren't that great either, the subjects I chose did not give me any sense of enjoyment except English, but I attempted to try in them just so I can meet the requirements for A levels. The grades I achieved were:

Two Ds in Science
Grade 4 in English Language
Grade 5 in English literature
C in ICT
D* in ECDL (Level 2)
D in Business
D in History and Geography
And grade 3 in Maths.

I managed to get 4 GCSES A-C, and thankfully, my teachers allowed me to study the A levels subjects I desired. With that in mind, I am still proud of my self as I managed to fit two years of content within two weeks.

I am currently at Year 12 and I am re-taking Maths alongside my A Levels and I am confident I will be able to get a Grade 5 in Maths by the end of the year. I am currently studying: Philosophy, English Lit, Sociology. And I have been getting almost full marks on my essays for all subjects, I believe I can get A* in all 3 of these subject areas with hard work and effort, I am aware of the difficulty A levels provides and I fully believe that I will get good AS grades by the end of the year, and this isn't just based off my essays, it is based off my determination and belief that I can fully do this.

So the question I propose is, If I get A* in all my A level subjects, and I have a personal statement that shows my passion and dedication for my chosen degree (Law) will my GCSES overshadow that potential and will I have an chance of getting an offer. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by User1591
I had little passion for education in my younger years, From Year 7 to Year 11, I did not understand the importance of education and I mainly focused on other things, near the end of Year 11, I became very passionate about English, I liked English literature, because it enabled me to analyse and think critically about different works of masterful literature, I liked English Language because I could use my imagination to write creatively and see the clever language techniques and strategies writers used to convey many elements. I found language and literature so powerful that it would make me express emotions whilst reading/writing.

By the time I found my passion for English, it was too late, I had 2 weeks until the exams, so I decided to revise all the content I had missed for English and I attempted to study other subjects in the process because I came to the realization that education was indeed important. The step that would get me higher was A levels, so I aimed for the minimum GCSE requirements (With the little time I had) so I could do A levels at Sixth Form.

However, me aiming for the minimum, lowered my potential as I could not express the ideas and theories I had to fit in the time constraints of my exams. To top it all off, my GCSE subjects weren't that great either, the subjects I chose did not give me any sense of enjoyment except English, but I attempted to try in them just so I can meet the requirements for A levels. The grades I achieved were:

Two Ds in Science
Grade 4 in English Language
Grade 5 in English literature
C in ICT
D* in ECDL (Level 2)
D in Business
D in History and Geography
And grade 3 in Maths.

I managed to get 4 GCSES A-C, and thankfully, my teachers allowed me to study the A levels subjects I desired. With that in mind, I am still proud of my self as I managed to fit two years of content within two weeks.

I am currently at Year 12 and I am re-taking Maths alongside my A Levels and I am confident I will be able to get a Grade 5 in Maths by the end of the year. I am currently studying: Philosophy, English Lit, Sociology. And I have been getting almost full marks on my essays for all subjects, I believe I can get A* in all 3 of these subject areas with hard work and effort, I am aware of the difficulty A levels provides and I fully believe that I will get good AS grades by the end of the year, and this isn't just based off my essays, it is based off my determination and belief that I can fully do this.

So the question I propose is, If I get A* in all my A level subjects, and I have a personal statement that shows my passion and dedication for my chosen degree (Law) will my GCSES overshadow that potential and will I have an chance of getting an offer. Thanks.

that's a damn good question, and this is my opinionated response. I doubt it cause when you do A-levels your always told to forget everything you learned at GCSE's that accompanied with the fact that you wanna get a law degree with a personal statement and A* in and I quote "all my A level subjects" you should be good but listen it all depends on the entry requirements at your chosen university check that **** first before anything else.

P.S. do tell me how your experience with these A-level subjects went ironically i'm still doing GCSE and get this I am currently doing law as one of them. I don't know if that seems ironic but the word seems to fit so imma say it the irony is real.
Don’t want to be a downer here, but I’m afraid that there is very little chance of you getting in with that. Even if you do get 3 A*, which will be extremely hard, Oxbridge do look at your GCSEs. I know people will all A*s at GCSE and A*A*A at A level not getting in.
Reply 3
My advice is get your grades, take a gap year and then apply.

You have a poor academic record, which will likely stop you from getting an interview. Most applicants have multiple A*s at GCSE, and high predictions. I have a friend who got 10 A*s at GCSE, an A in AS maths and A*A*A*A* predictions and didn't even get an interview.

However, if you apply once you already have those 3 A*s at A Level, then you've completely boosted your academic record which means that they will likely be unable to discriminate against your previous track record. In fact, you will then be academically superior to most candidates who won't have their A Levels yet.

Then, with your passion for the subject, you should do well on the admissions test and most likely get an interview...and hopefully a place! You are much, much more likely to be considered if you already have your grades, as you do not have a competitive application at the moment - even if you have all A* predictions.

Go on youtube, and take a look at Ibz Mo. His position was quite similar to yours, he took two gap years and now studies at Cambridge.

Good Luck X
Original post by lowza

You have a poor academic record, which will likely stop you from getting an interview. Most applicants have multiple A*s at GCSE, and high predictions. I have a friend who got 10 A*s at GCSE, an A in AS maths and A*A*A*A* predictions and didn't even get an interview.

However, if you apply once you already have those 3 A*s at A Level, then you've completely boosted your academic record which means that they will likely be unable to discriminate against your previous track record. In fact, you will then be academically superior to most candidates who won't have their A Levels yet.

Then, with your passion for the subject, you should do well on the admissions test and most likely get an interview...and hopefully a place! You are much, much more likely to be considered if you already have your grades, as you do not have a competitive application at the moment - even if you have all A* predictions.

Go on youtube, and take a look at Ibz Mo. His position was quite similar to yours, he took two gap years and now studies at Cambridge.

Good Luck X

This is very sensible advice.
Ibz Mo , and opt for Cambridge!
The most accepting University part of Oxbridge.
Original post by erratic_deus
ibz mo , and opt for cambridge!
The most accepting university part of oxbridge.

yaaaasss ibzz, bring they your seasoning.

I second - @lowza ‘s advice. :smile:

Oh + you can apply for ‘extenuating(?) circumstances’
(edited 6 years ago)
Apparently GCSEs count about 20% and A levels about 80%. So if you do great in your a levels and have a convincing personal statement, then I’m sure that you will be able to get an interview :smile:
I have A*AAAAAAAAAC and I was told by a head that the C in Maths would put me at a disadvantage for Oxford. I was also told that most applicants have two additional GCSEs typically. I was predicted A*AA at A-level in three facilitating subjects and I never gave it any consideration again. I have been told by others that Cambridge does not put as much emphasis on GCSEs. I called them up to ask and they simply said it is done on a case-by-case basis.

Applying with A *A*A* might open their eyes slightly, but you would be competing against people with A*A*A* with 12A*s at GCSE. Have you considered other universities?

Is a 5/4 in the new grading system like a C? I have no idea because I am older.

Most RG Universities have a minimum of a grade B in English language for essay-based courses. Law is super competitive, they will be looking for a reason to reject applicants with identical grades.

You sound like a really enthusiastic student. You will find a way into your career regardless.
Original post by lowza

Good Luck X

Spot on....funny enough my situation somewhat similar to the thread starter and i got rejected from Cambridge this year despite AAB at AS-level

Praying to get 3A*s and reapply.
I’ll be real with you since barely anyone else seems to be: you have a tiny, barely existent chance of getting into either Oxford or Cambridge with those grades, especially without extenuating circumstances. GCSEs are seen as an example of a prolonged work ethic which is deemed completely necessary for Oxbridge.Its easy to say “if I get 3A*s” now, but I think you might somewhat underestimate the effort it will take to get that, especially in English Literature. Furthermore, the universities won’t know your grades when they’re deciding, but rather your predicted grades. And when it comes to predicted grades, it is not uncommon for people to have 3 or 4 A* predictions, meaning GCSEs will be considered as well. One of your saving graces might have been if you had done really well in English - assuming that is what you want to study in the future - but it seems in that case you only just scraped by as well.I’m sorry, you will not get into Oxbridge, but this is a good time to realise that Oxbridge is not the be all and end all - you will still potentially be able to aim high for top Russell Group universities if you do indeed smash your A-Levels, and so the best thing to do, regardless of Oxbridge, is to aim high and try and achieve the too grades in your A-Levels - but it will take an awful lot more than simply “believing” you can do it; ie. revising most days for good amounts of time. Good luck!
To directly quote an AT:

"No, I wouldn’t worry about this [your GCSE results]. For a post qual applicant we would be concentrating on your A2s (or equivalent)."

Answer: do well at A-level, and apply during a gap year
Reply 12
I would say you have next to no chance. You have no extenuating circumstances and Oxford does look heavily on GCSEs.

And I wouldn't be confident about getting all A* yet in A Level, because they are extremely hard to get. There is nothing wrong with aspiring to achieve as high as possible, but do bare in mind that you may need to set new targets based on your AS grades and predictions etc

Good luck!
It won't stop your chances of applying but it will stop your chances of being accepted. People always say "Cambridge put less weight on GCSE'S" to give false hope but the reality is that, when cambridge say this, they mean students with 7/8 A's to A*'s and a few B's. People also use the isolated case of Ibz Mo. He had extenuating circumstances since he went to a poor school, lived in a "bad area" and was bullied throughout high school. Besides, his grades were 8 C's and B's and only 2 D's, which honestly isn't terrible. He probably did the best in his school, also.

During high school, I cared a lot about my education and got all high grades but something changed with my confidence and mindset in year 11 and I left with 2A*,3A,3B's, 2C's. For a while I considered Cambridge too but I've been thinking about it from a realistic view and honestly, there are so many people who apply to these top class universities who would have gotten all A*'s at GCSE AND A level who would deserve it a lot more than me.

Anyway, I've gone on a bit of a tangent here. My point: if you want to apply to Oxford or cambridge, go for it. Just remember that there are around 10,000 people who apply to Law at Cambridge who would have gotten all A* each year. There are also other amazing universities in the UK and you may lose your chance at getting into one of them if you have your mind set on Oxbridge. You will succeed in your career regardless. Please just work hard at a level and get those A*'s.
Reply 14
You can't get into RG unis with those grades never mind Oxford, try an ex poly.
i don't agree with people saying it's impossible for you to study at Oxbridge, so please don't listen to that. It is entirely possible. As suggested above, it would be brilliant to focus on your A-Levels, work really really hard, and apply with strong final results. Also, Oxford does seem to be more GCSE-heavy than Cambridge, although if you are applying post A-Levels, it hopefully shouldn't matter too much.
You have a small percentage chance of getting in but if you want it bad enough then why not?

That being said, a university like the university of Manchester requires 5 GCSE'S at A*-C and I think that is the requirement at most other russel group universities. You should really just email universities and talk to your college about this.

I'm in no place to be arrogant though so please don't be disheartened by my comments.
Original post by ashaxo99
i don't agree with people saying it's impossible for you to study at Oxbridge, so please don't listen to that. It is entirely possible. As suggested above, it would be brilliant to focus on your A-Levels, work really really hard, and apply with strong final results. Also, Oxford does seem to be more GCSE-heavy than Cambridge, although if you are applying post A-Levels, it hopefully shouldn't matter too much.

It practically is impossible though - surely? It is not the case that they would simply need to do well in their A-Levels and then, if they get a couple of A*s or maybe 3A*s then they should be fine, rather they will be up against students who have either predicted or achieved the same grades, but as well as that they will have fantastic GCSE grades and incredibly competitive applications. With a need to differentiate candidates, the student in question is almost guaranteed to be decided against because their record shows that they simply didn't try for 5 years of education - so why would a university such as Oxford decide in their favour and prioritise them over somebody who achieved 10A*? They certainly won't listen to any nonsense about suddenly having an epiphany two weeks before exams and realising that they suddenly love English.

This is especially the case for the course they have suggested: Law. Law is about one of the most competitive degrees they could have chosen, let alone at Oxford and Cambridge. More than this, candidates would be expected to have a great grasp on the English Language and ability to express ideas; a skill that a Grade 4 in English Language GCSE doesn't demonstrate.

In answer to the title question, "Will my GCSEs hinder the chances of me applying to Oxford (successfully, I should assume)?" then the answer has to be 100% yes it will.
Original post by Juedjegfewo
It practically is impossible though - surely? It is not the case that they would simply need to do well in their A-Levels and then, if they get a couple of A*s or maybe 3A*s then they should be fine, rather they will be up against students who have either predicted or achieved the same grades, but as well as that they will have fantastic GCSE grades and incredibly competitive applications. With a need to differentiate candidates, the student in question is almost guaranteed to be decided against because their record shows that they simply didn't try for 5 years of education - so why would a university such as Oxford decide in their favour and prioritise them over somebody who achieved 10A*? They certainly won't listen to any nonsense about suddenly having an epiphany two weeks before exams and realising that they suddenly love English.

This is especially the case for the course they have suggested: Law. Law is about one of the most competitive degrees they could have chosen, let alone at Oxford and Cambridge. More than this, candidates would be expected to have a great grasp on the English Language and ability to express ideas; a skill that a Grade 4 in English Language GCSE doesn't demonstrate.

In answer to the title question, "Will my GCSEs hinder the chances of me applying to Oxford (successfully, I should assume)?" then the answer has to be 100% yes it will.

you see, this is just a typical case of pessimism, and i hope that pessimism like this does not demotivate the OP or stop them from applying. i don't understand how this is a student forum, yet the majority of people on here do not seem to be encouraging of people chasing their academic goals. it's absolutely absurd. not everybody who applies to Oxbridge has straight A*s at GCSE. And whilst the majority of people there probably do have good GCSEs, it is not impossible for someone to get in with bad GCSEs - if this was the case, there would be minimum GCSE requirements, just like there are for A-Level requirements. And once you get to university age, your GCSE grades are probably the most unimportant factors in your application, given that Oxford has multiple interviews, an entrance assessment and your A-Level grades. if OP manages to shine in these categories, then they are probably a strong candidate and have a chance. it is not impossible.

yes, Law is competitive, and yes, Oxbridge is obviously competitive too. however, whilst it is competitive, students with absolutely perfect academic records are still beaten by students who are not as "perfect" academically to them. that goes to show that there's more to a university admission than GCSE grades.

if we were speaking about odds in respect to GCSE, OP would probably have a better chance at Cambridge, but that's not to say they can't achieve their goal of getting into Oxbridge. i wish people on this forum would be more respective of people and their perfectly achievable ambitions, given that OP is extremely motivated to do well.
Original post by ashaxo99
you see, this is just a typical case of pessimism, and i hope that pessimism like this does not demotivate the OP or stop them from applying. i don't understand how this is a student forum, yet the majority of people on here do not seem to be encouraging of people chasing their academic goals. it's absolutely absurd. not everybody who applies to Oxbridge has straight A*s at GCSE. And whilst the majority of people there probably do have good GCSEs, it is not impossible for someone to get in with bad GCSEs - if this was the case, there would be minimum GCSE requirements, just like there are for A-Level requirements. And once you get to university age, your GCSE grades are probably the most unimportant factors in your application, given that Oxford has multiple interviews, an entrance assessment and your A-Level grades. if OP manages to shine in these categories, then they are probably a strong candidate and have a chance. it is not impossible.

yes, Law is competitive, and yes, Oxbridge is obviously competitive too. however, whilst it is competitive, students with absolutely perfect academic records are still beaten by students who are not as "perfect" academically to them. that goes to show that there's more to a university admission than GCSE grades.

if we were speaking about odds in respect to GCSE, OP would probably have a better chance at Cambridge, but that's not to say they can't achieve their goal of getting into Oxbridge. i wish people on this forum would be more respective of people and their perfectly achievable ambitions, given that OP is extremely motivated to do well.

I would call it a reality. Oxford puts emphasis on GCSEs, you cant sugar coat that. Law (alongside medicine) is one of Oxfords most competitive courses. The department may have 100 applicants with A*A*A*at A-level, GCSEs and other lesser factors allow them to filter through applications (work experience, grades, extracurricular activities etc). The best way to filter out and remove people from that pool is with other factors.

Everyone is providing valid input and personal experience from. I simply shared my experience with a UCAS mentor. Although A*A*A* at A2 is impressive and attainable, Oxford considers GCSEs. It is that simple, the OPs application has significant weakness in that respect. The OP has displayed no extenuating circumstances aside from a change of heart 2 weeks prior to the exams.

With all due respect, that would not be a valid excuse in the eyes of any admissions team. What could the OP do to improve his/her chances of getting into a good Law school? Resit some basic GCSE examinations and see if you can push Language and Literature to a B grade equivalent.

UCL: A*AA with English Language and Mathematics at grade B or 6
(GCSE)
LSE: A level: grades A* A A (I can't see any GCSE requirements) University of Liverpool: ABB and a C grade in English and Maths
(GCSE)

Possibly look at doing some free Law courses with Birkbeck/The Open University in your free time. Having this in addition to A*A*A* and some work experience would be solid.

Offer some of your time to a local law firm perhaps OP?

Tl;dr: The reality is that Oxford will want some high GCSEs. The OP will be fine for an application to some strong RG law schools never the less.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending