The Student Room Group

Student from the US, trying to understand where my GPA fits in the UK Grading system.

I'm from the United States, and just recently earned my Bachelor's Degree in Political Science at a University here in the states. I'm looking into applying for my post-grad studies in the UK, but I don't quite know where I stand in the UK grading system. I graduated from my University with a Cumulative GPA of 3.29, how would I convert in the UK system?

Many thanks!
Original post by sperry94
I'm from the United States, and just recently earned my Bachelor's Degree in Political Science at a University here in the states. I'm looking into applying for my post-grad studies in the UK, but I don't quite know where I stand in the UK grading system. I graduated from my University with a Cumulative GPA of 3.29, how would I convert in the UK system?

Many thanks!

a 2:1/lower 2nd
Reply 2

Many thanks!

Roughly this:
http://www.fulbright.org.uk/going-to-the-usa/pre-departure/academics
A low 2:1.
Reply 4
@Bang Outta Order @Notorious B.I.G thread tidied.
Let's keep it constructive please.

Many thanks!

Hi Sperry94,

The information that they gave you is basically correct, and you can say that you got a 2:1, no worries. Where are you applying to? Just curious because I am an American student doing my Masters at Aston University in Translation Studies and would love to help if you had any questions about what it's like being an American in the UK or being over here and doing your Masters. Let me know!

Best,
Julia
Reply 6
Original post by Aston University
Hi Sperry94,

The information that they gave you is basically correct, and you can say that you got a 2:1, no worries. Where are you applying to? Just curious because I am an American student doing my Masters at Aston University in Translation Studies and would love to help if you had any questions about what it's like being an American in the UK or being over here and doing your Masters. Let me know!

Best,
Julia

Hey Julia,

Thank you for your reply! It's nice to hear from someone who is a fellow American studying in the UK. I am still in the process of really figuring out what is needed of me so I can successfully apply to a Masters programs in the UK. If I need certain paperwork, need to take a certain exam, etc. I know I want to study something along the lines of International Relations or Public Policy. It just seems like a very daunting task to get there!

-Sofia
Reply 7
Hey Julia,

Thank you for your reply! It's nice to hear from someone who is a fellow American studying in the UK. I am still in the process of really figuring out what is needed of me so I can successfully apply to a Masters programs in the UK. If I need certain paperwork, need to take a certain exam, etc. I know I want to study something along the lines of International Relations or Public Policy. It just seems like a very daunting task to get there!

-Sofia

At which university? The universities have individual entry requirements and they are usually pretty easy to follow.

It's unlikely you would need any additional exam assuming your undergraduate course is suitable for the postgrad you are applying for.

e.g. Surrey
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/postgraduate/international-relations-msc-2018

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending