The Student Room Group

Moving out at 16

So me and my friend have both decided to get a flat together but I don’t know what we’re supposed to do financially. I’ve got given money when I was born by my nana and there’s about a grand there I’m allowed to get that if I want to move but whilst living there I’m not sure if we would be able to pay because the rent everywhere is actually really expensive.
Reply 1
Original post by __Ap__
So me and my friend have both decided to get a flat together but I don’t know what we’re supposed to do financially. I’ve got given money when I was born by my nana and there’s about a grand there I’m allowed to get that if I want to move but whilst living there I’m not sure if we would be able to pay because the rent everywhere is actually really expensive.

do you have a job?
Reply 2
Original post by Leago665
do you have a job?

No but I do this thing where they help me with getting one so I’d have to get one after the course
Reply 3
Original post by __Ap__
No but I do this thing where they help me with getting one so I’d have to get one after the course

This is very circumstantial. Most people would strongly recommend that you don't move out at 16 because it's a lot of hassle. You are 16 so you are in some kind of education right? If you are then I would recommend that you don't because you would have to work a lot to keep on top of the bills. Keeping on top of groceries, bills, etc takes up a lot of time so it would distract you from your education.

If you aren't in education then you could find a job, if your lucky. Without further education it is quite difficult to get a well paid job.

If you have a free place to live in right now take advantage of that because you will wish you had it when you get your own place.
Reply 4
A grand isnt going to get you far mate. Especially when you take into account you usually need a deposit.
Reply 5
At least wait till you’re a bit older and have some more money saved up. You want to prepare for moving out and mature as best as you can so you can minimise struggling to cope when you move out. I’m 18 in a week and want to move out but can’t as I know I won’t be able to do it. I’ve never lived alone, never paid for bills, budgeted money, etc. Try and work out a plan and how you would provide for yourself, where would you live, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest