The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Sussex economics 2018

I'm considering firming Sussex for Economics BA, However I've never been to a open day( but I will soon..)

Can anyone tell me about how Sussex is as a uni , entertainment and the area.

Scroll to see replies

Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Sussex is the exact picture of what I imagined a university to be. Wide open spaces of grass, large buildings around the perimeter and centre. A market stall with people riding bikes around, people sitting with their friends on the steps of the library. A very impressive library filled with equipment. New developments of accommodation and more new buildings. Lots of cafes around, a co op at the centre. Towards the accommodation side of the university, it was more urban, but the accommodation seemed to be pretty much exactly what you can see on their website. The atmosphere was very young and alive, With environment activists setting up tents and art drawn on the floor with chalk. Inside, the buildings are modernly decorated, which contrasted the red brick buildings. It being so close to Brighton is amazing. 9 minutes on the train, which is perfect for nights out. There are buses running up and down the length of the campus. The SU and student support centres looked big enough and again, is exactly what I expected from a uni. It just seemed pretty much perfect to me, which is why I’ve firmed them :smile:
Original post by barneywherry
Sussex is the exact picture of what I imagined a university to be. Wide open spaces of grass, large buildings around the perimeter and centre. A market stall with people riding bikes around, people sitting with their friends on the steps of the library. A very impressive library filled with equipment. New developments of accommodation and more new buildings. Lots of cafes around, a co op at the centre. Towards the accommodation side of the university, it was more urban, but the accommodation seemed to be pretty much exactly what you can see on their website. The atmosphere was very young and alive, With environment activists setting up tents and art drawn on the floor with chalk. Inside, the buildings are modernly decorated, which contrasted the red brick buildings. It being so close to Brighton is amazing. 9 minutes on the train, which is perfect for nights out. There are buses running up and down the length of the campus. The SU and student support centres looked big enough and again, is exactly what I expected from a uni. It just seemed pretty much perfect to me, which is why I’ve firmed them :smile:

Oh wow, that sounds so good. I can’t wait for my applicant day now :p:D
Hopefully see you there in September!
Hopefully see you there in September!

Did you apply for economics at Sussex ?
No, Primary Education, have you looked at the accommodation?
No, Primary Education, have you looked at the accommodation?

Yeah, it’s a good variety. There’s a site called the student crowd, where you can read reviews from students who rate the accommodation. I heared east slopes has a Rat problem :frown: but luckily their destroying it.

Brighthelm houses - seems to be the best and what I’m interested in, wbu?
Original post by laurynbirdy
Yeah, it’s a good variety. There’s a site called the student crowd, where you can read reviews from students who rate the accommodation. I heared east slopes has a Rat problem :frown: but luckily their destroying it.

Brighthelm houses - seems to be the best and what I’m interested in, wbu?

Yeah apparently East Slope was getting pretty trashed and infested by the end. It’s a shame the new student village is so expensive. I’m going for Park Houses first and Park Village second. Price is pretty important to me because I’d like as much money as I can have for going out. Although I do with that Brighthelm was cheaper because I’d love to have a washer and dryer in my own house
Yeah apparently East Slope was getting pretty trashed and infested by the end. It’s a shame the new student village is so expensive. I’m going for Park Houses first and Park Village second. Price is pretty important to me because I’d like as much money as I can have for going out. Although I do with that Brighthelm was cheaper because I’d love to have a washer and dryer in my own house

So true, I’ve tried to find a balance with price. I want enough money to spend on of course food etc, as well as entertainment in Brighton. But I’d also like to have accommodation where I’m happy and it’s like my own little humble abode, not a place I strive to make excuses to not go home too :tongue:

So childish I’d probably spend all my money on rides at the pier party ( rollercoaster and thrill seeker enthusiast.. btw) Brighton looks so fun :h:
So true, I’ve tried to find a balance with price. I want enough money to spend on of course food etc, as well as entertainment in Brighton. But I’d also like to have accommodation where I’m happy and it’s like my own little humble abode, not a place I strive to make excuses to not go home too :tongue:

So childish I’d probably spend all my money on rides at the pier party ( rollercoaster and thrill seeker enthusiast.. btw) Brighton looks so fun :h:

Family I’ve spoken to and current students I’ve asked said to have about £75 a week for food and going out (and rollercoasters aha) and yes it does look so fun, I can’t wait to get there and start living. I’m sure that no matter accommodation you live in it’ll be your little abode, even if it gets a little mouldy every now and then aha. We will all just have to get used to it, unless you really splash out and live in Northfield
Family I’ve spoken to and current students I’ve asked said to have about £75 a week for food and going out (and rollercoasters aha) and yes it does look so fun, I can’t wait to get there and start living. I’m sure that no matter accommodation you live in it’ll be your little abode, even if it gets a little mouldy every now and then aha. We will all just have to get used to it, unless you really splash out and live in Northfield

This has bought a whole new perspective. I’d rather have more money to actually enjoy myself and have fun then be restricted by my pricey accommodation.

Can’t wait either... hopefully all goes well on applicant day :h:
This has bought a whole new perspective. I’d rather have more money to actually enjoy myself and have fun then be restricted by my pricey accommodation.

Can’t wait either... hopefully all goes well on applicant day :h:

I’d rather have like one massive night out where I spend an extra £30 a week then a nicer room to go back to anyway :smile:
I only visited when I had an interview, is an applicant day just an open day?
I’d rather have like one massive night out where I spend an extra £30 a week then a nicer room to go back to anyway :smile:
I only visited when I had an interview, is an applicant day just an open day?

Applicant day- they already gave me an offer of ABB if I firm. I wasn’t even considering Sussex because I had loved Royal Holloway. But when I went on the applicant day.. oh my gosh..the students in my economics class. Everyone sort of came with their parents so it was kind a pisstake and I couldn’t exactly talk to anyone or start conversations. Plus I don’t know what it is with people at uni or some of the prospective students. Their basically academic zombies. Like I sat with this guy ( and bear in mind, I go to a single-sex school so I’m not exactly confident with the opposite sex) and he was just so cold and was just asking one of the student ambassadors about courses.

In all honesty I’ve just found University people extremely cringe :tongue:
So that’s why I’m considering Sussex... I feel Royal Holloway is such a nice uni in it’s self but the economics department was small and certainly wasn’t for me; especially the people...
Applicant day- they already gave me an offer of ABB if I firm. I wasn’t even considering Sussex because I had loved Royal Holloway. But when I went on the applicant day.. oh my gosh..the students in my economics class. Everyone sort of came with their parents so it was kind a pisstake and I couldn’t exactly talk to anyone or start conversations. Plus I don’t know what it is with people at uni or some of the prospective students. Their basically academic zombies. Like I sat with this guy ( and bear in mind, I go to a single-sex school so I’m not exactly confident with the opposite sex) and he was just so cold and was just asking one of the student ambassadors about courses.

In all honesty I’ve just found University people extremely cringe :tongue:
So that’s why I’m considering Sussex... I feel Royal Holloway is such a nice uni in it’s self but the economics department was small and certainly wasn’t for me; especially the people...

I’m pretty sure that a university 9 minutes away from the most studenty/liberal city in England won’t be filled with academic zombies aha. When I went it was just so full of life and youth it was so cool. Interesting that you went to a single sex school, because I’m sure doing economics will have a majority of guys doing it. Similar to in Primary Education, there is often a 1 guy to every 8 girls ratio on the course so it’ll be interesting to work with such a majority of girls there :smile:
I’m pretty sure that a university 9 minutes away from the most studenty/liberal city in England won’t be filled with academic zombies aha. When I went it was just so full of life and youth it was so cool. Interesting that you went to a single sex school, because I’m sure doing economics will have a majority of guys doing it. Similar to in Primary Education, there is often a 1 guy to every 8 girls ratio on the course so it’ll be interesting to work with such a majority of girls there :smile:

Are you a guy?
Are you a guy?

Yes aha. Typically the name barney is given to guys
Yes aha. Typically the name barney is given to guys

Right :p:) makes sense, this whole time I’ve been thinking you were a girl- bad of me aha
But also so true, economics is also largely Male and considering with my previous education. It’ll be new and of course we all at one point have to adapt and change.
But hopefully they will be no more cringy people or academic zombies at Sussex :tongue:
Aha that’s ok, don’t worry.
I’m sure there will be some cringy people, there always is no matter where you go, but hopefully just fewer of them. I think half the reason I’m going to uni is for the going out parts. 10% is learning how to live on my own and the other 40% is for my course
Aha that’s ok, don’t worry.
I’m sure there will be some cringy people, there always is no matter where you go, but hopefully just fewer of them. I think half the reason I’m going to uni is for the going out parts. 10% is learning how to live on my own and the other 40% is for my course

All part of the university experience x
So true- less cringe worthy people ( kid you not, the students at the RH applicant day we’re talking about Shakespeare while waiting for the Train going home)

Are you still in yr13 or taken a gap year ?

Quick Reply

Latest