The Student Room Group

Ex making false accusations

So the police just came to my house because my ex seemingly claimed I was harassing her. I messaged her once asking if I could give her a letter (with no prior indication from her she didn't want me to contact her), she told me to deliver it to her house, I did as instructed and because of that I'm now being accused of harassment.

Basically I want to know what I can do. I'm personally very shaken up because of it; I don't like the police turning up at my house in the middle of the night and I don't like being accused of things I haven't done. As far as I'm concerned she needs to understand that she can't use the police to enact a personal vendetta because she doesn't like what she read in a letter (I called her out for breaking a promise, there was no harsh language or threats).

So is there anything that can be levelled at her warning wise or charges? Is there a way a black mark can be put on her record for wasting police time and causing me undue emotional stress so maybe next time she does it to someone they look into it more before taking action?

Scroll to see replies

what was the letter about
I would make sure to not make any kind of contact with her again and if she contacts you to save evidence just to be safe.
Original post by Ray_Shadows

Yeah, OP makes it all seem so innocent. Till he tells us the letter was a 52-page manifesto explaining why they belong together.
Reply 4

Literally all it said was that the reason we didn't work is because she couldn't keep a promise. No harsh language, no threats, no asking for her back. Included her xmas present (a musical wall hanging, I had no use for it) and that was it.
Original post by Anonymous
Literally all it said was that the reason we didn't work is because she couldn't keep a promise. No harsh language, no threats, no asking for her back. Included her xmas present (a musical wall hanging, I had no use for it) and that was it.

Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
HAHAHAHHAHA. I love being right.

um no you weren't man , OP literally said it was nothing about them being back together
Reply 6

It was one page. Did you miss the bit of "No harsh language, no threats, no asking for her back". If you think phoning the police is a reasonable response to someone saying "hey, I think this is why things didn't work out, maybe something to consider in your next relationship" then you have issues...
Reply 7
Original post by Phoenix789
I would make sure to not make any kind of contact with her again and if she contacts you to save evidence just to be safe.

I don't intend to, but I don't like the fact that people can utilise the police to abuse others with no repercussions.
I don't intend to, but I don't like the fact that people can utilise the police to abuse others with no repercussions.

Theres not much that the police can do. A lot of people feel that they cannot report crimes involving harassment and punishing potential victims would discourage people from speaking out when it is already difficult.
Reply 9
Original post by Phoenix789
Theres not much that the police can do. A lot of people feel that they cannot report crimes involving harassment and punishing potential victims would discourage people from speaking out when it is already difficult.

So the fact that I'm shaken up from the police appearing at my door in the middle of the night has no bearing on anything? Surely they should at least be cautioned or something?
um no you weren't man , OP literally said it was nothing about them being back together

Which makes it all the more odd. Why are you analysing the actions of a relationship which you accept is completely over. Usually that type of behaviour is of people still slightly besotted, and perhaps possessing a modicum of obsession.

It was one page. Did you miss the bit of "No harsh language, no threats, no asking for her back". If you think phoning the police is a reasonable response to someone saying "hey, I think this is why things didn't work out, maybe something to consider in your next relationship" then you have issues...

Hey, I am only trying to help. Lessen the tone.

See above. It is very intimidating to have an ex, who you've largely forgotten about, send you an intense message (in spirit, maybe not in language) that indicates that they still hold a grudge/have an issue. Especially with the court case that was in the news recently; such behaviour puts everyone on edge.

Less dramatic, intense action. No going to the police to have her done for wasting police time. Just move on with your life, in all respects.
Which makes it all the more odd. Why are you analysing the actions of a relationship which you accept is completely over. Usually that type of behaviour is of people still slightly besotted, and perhaps possessing a modicum of obsession.

eh maybe
eh maybe

Now apologise and we can forget all this nasty business.
Now apologise and we can forget all this nasty business.

lmao apologise for what
Hey, I am only trying to help. Lessen the tone.

See above. It is very intimidating to have an ex, who you've largely forgotten about, send you an intense message (in spirit, maybe not in language) that indicates that they still hold a grudge/have an issue. Especially with the court case that was in the news recently; such behaviour puts everyone on edge.

Less dramatic, intense action. No going to the police to have her done for wasting police time. Just move on with your life, in all respects.

Only trying to help by painting me as a creep and laughing at me? Yea, really helpful.

We only broke up a few weeks ago so it's not like it's out of the blue.

I don't see why I should have to deal with the police for something I didn't do whilst she goes on thinking that's a reasonable course of action. The police that came to my house all but laughed at her and said she sounded like a psycho so they clearly thought she was in the wrong. Is a follow up visit normally made to the person making allegations and is this likely to be bought up? Or once someone's made an allegation is that it, they can just sit back and laugh at the distress they're causing someone?
Reply 15

You sound like such a cuck.
Only trying to help by painting me as a creep and laughing at me? Yea, really helpful.

I don't see why I should have to deal with the police for something I didn't do whilst she goes on thinking that's a reasonable course of action. The police that came to my house all but laughed at her and said she sounded like a psycho so they clearly thought she was in the wrong. Is a follow up visit normally made to the person making allegations and is this likely to be bought up? Or once someone's made an allegation is that it, they can just sit back and laugh at the distress they're causing someone?

Well, I'll be honest, the reason I laughed is because you made it seem as if it were a banal letter you were helpfully passing on. Clubcard points which she'd left behind or something. The reason I laughed loud, and irl loud (so you know), is because I knew that the letter would be a lot more than you were letting on, and I was right. I do apologise for that ejaculation of merriment, though.

Coppers are not necessarily reasonable and sensitive people. Their agreeing with you means very little. I repeat my advice: de-escalate. Move on. No more frenzied letter writing over a lost relationship.
Original post by Taka345
You sound like such a cuck.

Why?
Reply 18

Try and report false allegations to the police but don't report it to the same police officers. They're probably those ones who wanna be seen as some chivalrous saviour ugh.

Also do it calmly to show the difference between you and her in her full time blown exaggeration of the incident. (I would do this because I absolutely despise false accusations with ppl getting away with it)
Well, I'll be honest, the reason I laughed is because you made it seem as if it were a banal letter you were helpfully passing on. Clubcard points which she'd left behind or something. The reason I laughed loud, and irl loud (so you know), is because I knew that the letter would be a lot more than you were letting on, and I was right. I do apologise for that ejaculation of merriment, though.

Coppers are not necessarily reasonable and sensitive people. Their agreeing with you means very little. I repeat my advice: de-escalate. Move on. No more frenzied letter writing over a lost relationship.

A lot more than I was letting on? My OP says "I called her out for breaking a promise, there was no harsh language or threats". The post you laughed at says "Literally all it said was that the reason we didn't work is because she couldn't keep a promise. No harsh language, no threats, no asking for her back.". I don't see how that's a lot more than I was letting on, unless your ability to read just failed you at the start and your fingers work faster than your brain...

I'm not going to contact her directly, I just want to know what can legally be done for her a) wasting police time and b) causing me distress. There was never any "frenzied letter writing" I don't know what rom-com you've been watching recently or what ****ed up things you've sent to ex's, but it was a polite, reasonable "I think this was the issue". You really need to stop being such an ass an making random assumptions about strangers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending