The Student Room Group

Prevenge - British feminist movie celebrating sexual abuse and violence against men

Scroll to see replies

I see the crackpot is still here.....
Original post by CookieButter
Violence against men is very commonly celebrated and encouraged in feminist literature and movies.

Prevenge is a recent example of just that. It's a British comedy/horror movie. It was written and directed by feminist Alice Lowe. She co-stars the film too, alongside a cast of other feminist actresses. It was released in cinema here in the UK in February last year and on DvD later that year.

http://kfd-admin.piggy.co.uk/site/assets/files/1710/prevenge_banner-1900x600px.jpg

In short, the movie follows a pregnant serial killer who goes around gruesomely killing men (and some women) guided by a female voice that she hears emanating from her vagina/womb. The movie depicts acts of violence by the feminist protagonist against men that involve male genital mutilation, castration and sexual abuse. It makes light of and celebrates this violence/abuse.

Reviews of the movie:

“Gruesomely successful” 4 stars, The Guardian
“A feminist, score-settling slasher with a satirical edge” Sight & Sound
“A smart, risky, one-off” Variety
“Uniquely exhilarating” The Hollywood Reporter
“A breathtaking, savage debut” 4.5 stars, We Got This Covered

but perhaps the most disturbing review of this movie comes from the pen of feminist activist/Guardian journalist Sarah Ditum.

The review is titled Prevenge: in a world of male violence, seeing monstrous women is a thrill. Why I love watching women commit acts of violence on screen!!

She starts her review of the movie celebrating a castaration of a man by the feminist protagonist in the film calling it “the best thing you will see this year”. She writes:

"The best thing you’ll see in the cinema this year is a big man called DJ Dan looking down in horror as he realises that the thing slithering down his leg and onto his living room floor is his testicle, unleashed from its ballsack by the knife held by heavily pregnant Ruth (played by Alice Lowe). Or, if the death-by-castration of DJ Dan an entirely appropriate response to his pick-up patter about the easiness of “fat birds” doesn’t grab you, maybe one of the other grisly highlights of Lowe’s maternity-slasher movie Prevenge will."

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/film/2017/02/prevenge-world-male-violence-seeing-monstrous-women-thrill

It is just a film and you seem to have ignored the fact that it is a comedy which means it isn't meant to be taken seriously.
there is no reason why women should not be allowed to produce mediocre exploitation movies as well as men.
Middle class white women being middle class and white 🙄
Although I feel like some of the "reviews" are coming at the film from an unintended angle imo
I didn't call them feminist outlets as evidence for what I said. I called them feminist outlets to make a statement. Feminists support and justify this kind of violence. Violence which when effecting women they call sexism.

Now to breaking down the reviews:

The Guardian very simply praises the film giving it 4.0 stars. It celebrates the violence in the film which if you have seen it would know the good majority of which revolves around feminist topics....sexual harassment leading to castration, gloating leading to getting your face impaled etc...women getting killed for telling her she won't get a job because she's pregnant...had this same violence been directed at women the guardian would be up in arms calling it sexism. Instead it praises it and gives this comically bad b-movie a 4 out of 5.

Sight and sound: "The characters that Ruth encounters over the course of her spree play on the ways society pigeon-holes and prejudges pregnant women. Each are played by welcome and recognisable British character actors, often to scene-stealing effect, as with a professionally child-free businesswoman a reassuring yet ultimately ineffectual midwife and a slimy, self-styled ladies’ man called DJ Dan whose punishment for his untoward advances is particularly wince-inducing. A feminist, score-settling slasher with a satirical edge, then? Certainly." ...

This confirms the kills as being, as I stated, driven by feminist beliefs. A film that addresses men with violence and abuse for being disagreeable with feminism. It presents the violence, the sexual abuse, the castration as satire. It trivialises it and promoting it as satire. It offers it as a solution to men who are sexist thus promoting it that way too. I mean even if you claim this is vengeance its vengeance based on NOTHING BUT GENDER....so its clearly sexist by your own definition. This review by sight and sound supports exactly what I wrote and your nonsensical hopelessly bad attempt at justifying this review is beyond comical. You just copied what they've written in their article. You clearly have no idea what the word trope means. It putting it simply a sexism versus women as per feminism doctrine. In effect they are addressing tropes in society that they deem sexist against women by men with violence. This review by sight and sound describes this as score settling!!!! score settling with men...it praises the film and calls the violence satirical. I dont find sexism satirical.

Variety calls this sexism “A smart, risky, one-off”
The Hollywood Reporter calls it “Uniquely exhilarating” and
We Got This Covered calls the sexism “A breathtaking, savage debut”

but as I mentioned in my original post the worst and most disturbing review is by that feminist activist Ditum who celebrates the sexist violence and finds it funny....particularly the sexual assaults....she sees it exactly for what it is.

I do not know how people like you can justify this blatant sexism and question it...How blind and hypocritical are you feminists?

OMG!!! Now I know for a fact that you've not seen this film!!!! Most of her victims had nothing to do with her husbands death!!!! DJ dan was killed for flirting with her, flirting which ditum calls sexism deceiving of castration after luring him for sex....she kills Ella because she told her that her pregnancy might get in the way of her job....She kills her because she thinks what she said was sexist!!! you clearly did not watch the film....god, do you feminists have any limits to your deception? Do you have any moral boundaries or are you willing to go to any lengths in your lies to promote and justify your hate?

Sure do it. You'll find me heavily against any sort of violence against any gender in any film!!!!!

This doesn't tell me that you've seen it. Your comments tell me that you have no idea what the film is about. You know nothing about it...either that or you have seen it and you are just playing dumb in an effort to justify this clearly sexist film.

Nobody liked it. That's why it flopped. 7/10...lol

It doesn't but this film is so bad nobody could think it was good unless they were BS'n or high whilst watching it. It being bad is most definitely the reason behind its abysmal performance.
(edited 6 years ago)
OMG!!! Now I know for a fact that you've not seen this film!!!! Most of her victims had nothing to do with her husbands death!!!! DJ dan was killed for flirting with her, flirting which ditum calls sexism deceiving of castration after luring him for sex....she kills Ella because she told her that her pregnancy might get in the way of her job....She kills her because she thinks what she said was sexist!!! you clearly did not watch the film....god, do you feminists have any limits to your deception? Do you have any moral boundaries or are you willing to go to any lengths in your lies to promote and justify your hate?

:ahee: :ahee: :ahee:.

You didn't watch the film!

If you had watched the film, you would know she was targeting the members of her husband's climbing group.

Here's a few screenshots of the scrapbook she carries from the very start of the film. Note the names on the pages:

Spoiler

If you compare them to the wikipedia page you've probably been getting all your information about the film off of (it sure is a pain when wikipedia doesn't have a detailed plot outline, saving you from embarassing moments like this), you'll notice they match the names of all the characters she goes on to kill/attempt to kill! You can tell from clues like the flier for Dan's club night and the carefully researched diary of Len's day that she knew exactly who they were and not just randomers who offended her delicate feminist demeanour. And if you'd watched the film, you'd hear her asking questions like whether Ella likes going on activity weekends or holding Tom at knifepoint until he tells her which one of them cut her husband's rope to save the rest of the group.

But yeah, keep telling us that it's me that hasn't watched the film. Let's see how that goes :yep:
(edited 6 years ago)
God give me strength. You are the one who clearly haven't watched it. if you did you would know that little fact that her husband wasn't murdered and most of her victims were uninvolved directly in her husband's death....You might have gone to that wikipedia page yourself. I haven't. I watched that crap sexist movie with two other friends when it came out in cinema.

The film starts off with her killing the pet shop owner slicing his throat...when he had his back turned...she castrates and kills dan in his flat with his senile mother in the house she then goes on to kill Ella she then kills a third guy i forgot his name the one with the moustache and then she does the girl with the boxing gloves ...and in between each killing she visits her doctor.... her victims did not kill her husband with the exception of the asian guy....but she held them responsible for his death...her husband was not murdred. The people that she killed she killed them totally randomly based on the fact that they had been in her husband's climbing club....she did not know the back story she killed them totally randomly.......her husband died as a result of his rope being cut by the supervisor to save the group on a climbing trip...the supervisor is this arab asian looking guy and the film ends with her screaming in his face supposedly implying that she was the one that was possessed and talking to herself as apposed to her foetus and going on to kill him despite them not showing that at the end....MOST ALL THE FOLK THAT SHE KILLS IN THE MOVIE are made out to look like sexists whom she rids the world from....ALL THE MEN IN THE FILM ARE MADE OUT TO LOOK LIKE A'HOLES .....all are made out to look like sexists with the exception of the minority guy...the guy that cut the rope and lead her husband to his death....in between the deaths she visits her doctor....and sits in the bath and lies on her bed yapping to herself....those pictures that you uploaded are off her in her flat signing off the killing of moustache guy...etc etc etc...

"you didn't watch the movie" lolll!! i did a lot more than watch this crap...I wrote blogs about it and its sexism when it came out last year....if you want more detail let me know.... I'm getting a little bit tired with this childish nonsense. You feminazis, discussing anything with you is always a waste of time....
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BlindingLight
It's not ''equality'' at all.

I am misinterpreting your reply. What do you mean?

I mentioned that feminism is supposed to be the advocacy of women’s rights on the grounds of equality of the sexes(google def) but this is not equality at all - so why would it be described as a feminist movie?
Right, I'm calling it a day here, as fun as this has been. Earlier in the thread when I suggested she killed them for their involvement in her husband's death, you said:

Most of her victims had nothing to do with her husbands death!!!! DJ dan was killed for flirting with her, flirting which ditum calls sexism deceiving of castration after luring him for sex....she kills Ella because she told her that her pregnancy might get in the way of her job....She kills her because she thinks what she said was sexist!!!

And now you're saying:

. The people that she killed she killed them totally randomly based on the fact that they had been in her husband's climbing club....she did not know the back story she killed them totally randomly.......her husband died as a result of his rope being cut by the supervisor to save the group on a climbing trip.

Which if you know that much then you know that she holds the entire group responsible, because it's made very clear as the film progresses. You also know that she chose specific victims based on this and deliberately found opportunities to kill them, like lying about having a kid who wants an exotic pet, offering to go home with Dan or impersonating a charity worker to get into Len's (boxing girl) house.

she did not know the back story

Yes she did, her and Tom speak about her being present at the inquest, that's how e recognises her. It's at this point she asks him at knife point which one of them cut the cord, because she holds them all responsible. If she didn't then she could have gone to Tom first and then just killed whoever he said cut the rope, but as far as she's concerned they all have her husband's blood on their hands.

There were no implications of sexism in either Josh or Len's deaths by the way.

I won't be replying again, because frankly it's futile. Having to explain the basic plot of the movie to you and then get berated by you for not recognising the subtext you've invented is getting pretty dull. Declare yourself Victor in this warped little exchange if you like, I'm going to go and binge watch a few movies :yy:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 29

I don't think you've read Sarah Ditum's review of the movie

I don't think you've seen the movie.
Violence against men is very commonly celebrated and encouraged in feminist literature and movies.

Prevenge is a recent example of just that. It's a British comedy/horror movie. It was written and directed by feminist Alice Lowe. She co-stars the film too, alongside a cast of other feminist actresses. It was released in cinema here in the UK in February last year and on DvD later that year.

http://kfd-admin.piggy.co.uk/site/assets/files/1710/prevenge_banner-1900x600px.jpg

In short, the movie follows a pregnant serial killer who goes around gruesomely killing men (and some women) guided by a female voice that she hears emanating from her vagina/womb. The movie depicts acts of violence by the feminist protagonist against men that involve male genital mutilation, castration and sexual abuse. It makes light of and celebrates this violence/abuse.

Reviews of the movie:

“Gruesomely successful” 4 stars, The Guardian
“A feminist, score-settling slasher with a satirical edge” Sight & Sound
“A smart, risky, one-off” Variety
“Uniquely exhilarating” The Hollywood Reporter
“A breathtaking, savage debut” 4.5 stars, We Got This Covered

but perhaps the most disturbing review of this movie comes from the pen of feminist activist/Guardian journalist Sarah Ditum.

The review is titled Prevenge: in a world of male violence, seeing monstrous women is a thrill. Why I love watching women commit acts of violence on screen!!

She starts her review of the movie celebrating a castaration of a man by the feminist protagonist in the film calling it “the best thing you will see this year”. She writes:

"The best thing you’ll see in the cinema this year is a big man called DJ Dan looking down in horror as he realises that the thing slithering down his leg and onto his living room floor is his testicle, unleashed from its ballsack by the knife held by heavily pregnant Ruth (played by Alice Lowe). Or, if the death-by-castration of DJ Dan an entirely appropriate response to his pick-up patter about the easiness of “fat birds” doesn’t grab you, maybe one of the other grisly highlights of Lowe’s maternity-slasher movie Prevenge will."

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/film/2017/02/prevenge-world-male-violence-seeing-monstrous-women-thrill

Just look at Thelma and Louise.
There is a show on Netflix now called Altered Carbon.
It is a sci-fi set 500 years from now on Earth I've watched the first two episodes and I can highly recommend it brilliant.
But it did come in for some stick for being so violent. When I started watching it I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about as it was no worse than Kill Bill say for example. Then I noticed what was probably the reason for the fuss. Unusually the women come in for just as much extreme violence,
face beatings, punched and kicked stabbed etc as the men do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending