The Student Room Group

Gastritis diagnosis.

Good afternoon all,

Well, after two years of on/off upper abdomenal pain - I was told yesterday (after endless Doctor appointments and an Endoscopy) that the results showed I have Gastritis. Sadly, this was all told via telephone through a GP receptionist - not ideal as I wanted to speak to the Dr in reference to what needs to happen next - e.g. Treatment, medication.

Anyone else have this diagnosis? I must admit - I've been fairly thrown by it and whilst I'm grateful the results showed nothing sinister - it still plays on my mind.

Thanks!
Hi!
I’ve been diagnosed with Gastritis for around 6 years now and although it plays up from time to time with the right medication it’s usually under control.
I take 40mg of Omprezole in the morning, when my symptoms are bad I take ratinitine and (Zantac) and an antiacid.

You have to be careful with anti inflammatories, I find I can stomach ibuprofen and metafenamic acid as long as I take Omprezole and Zantac with it but I’ve been prescribed Naproxen before (for other chronic pain) and a single dose of that made my symptoms AWFUL, same with the other week in A&E when they gave me a diclyfenic slow release suppository, it made my pain better at first but then my gastritis symptoms started playing up so much more so be cautious of that. Xx

Any other questions, feel free to ask or message me xx
Also, Zantac and antacids are OTC so you could get them over the weekend if you have pain, although Omprezole is the best thing I’ve had xx
Original post by Bethany1309
Hi!
I’ve been diagnosed with Gastritis for around 6 years now and although it plays up from time to time with the right medication it’s usually under control.
I take 40mg of Omprezole in the morning, when my symptoms are bad I take ratinitine and (Zantac) and an antiacid.

You have to be careful with anti inflammatories, I find I can stomach ibuprofen and metafenamic acid as long as I take Omprezole and Zantac with it but I’ve been prescribed Naproxen before (for other chronic pain) and a single dose of that made my symptoms AWFUL, same with the other week in A&E when they gave me a diclyfenic slow release suppository, it made my pain better at first but then my gastritis symptoms started playing up so much more so be cautious of that. Xx

Any other questions, feel free to ask or message me xx

Thanks very much for your reply.

I'm currently on 30MG Lansoprazole (once a day) and I was given Ranitidine to take if required etc. I've managed on the Lansoprazole for the last 11 months or so but I might start adding them to the daily tablet intake.

It's all a bit 'eughhhhh' at the moment as I haven't had a chance to speak to the Dr and go through things.

How do you find your diet helps? Have you had to seriously change or alter it? I'm prepared to do so as I don't want to go through the pain I had last week which was enough to get me into A&E at 01:45 in the morning.

Thanks again :smile: x
Original post by 0902
Thanks very much for your reply.

I'm currently on 30MG Lansoprazole (once a day) and I was given Ranitidine to take if required etc. I've managed on the Lansoprazole for the last 11 months or so but I might start adding them to the daily tablet intake.

It's all a bit 'eughhhhh' at the moment as I haven't had a chance to speak to the Dr and go through things.

How do you find your diet helps? Have you had to seriously change or alter it? I'm prepared to do so as I don't want to go through the pain I had last week which was enough to get me into A&E at 01:45 in the morning.

Thanks again :smile: x

If you are finding the Lansoprazole isn’t working like it should, book an emergency GP appointment and ask to increase the dose/switch to a different medication.

I remember when mine was really bad, I have to take Ranitidine daily with the Omprezole and also get some Remegel (I can’t stand Gavisgon!!) for when the heart burn was bad.
I don’t really remember making any changes to my diet other than eating smaller more regular meals and at one point I tried to not drink with my meals, but as it’s improved I don’t have to do that anymore. And also they’re were certain trigger foods - if something was too greasy etc so I’m careful with takeaways etc.
Lowering my stress levels seem to help with the pain as well.

But honestly once I got the right treatment (which took awhile) my symptoms are pretty much always under control, unless I have a strong anti-inflammatory or something way to greasy.

Are you under a consultant for it? Or just your GP?

Also, do you know the cause of your gastritis? For me it was a symptom of what they think is EDs which was triggered by stress.

Hope this helps ☺️ xx
Original post by Bethany1309
If you are finding the Lansoprazole isn’t working like it should, book an emergency GP appointment and ask to increase the dose/switch to a different medication.

I remember when mine was really bad, I have to take Ranitidine daily with the Omprezole and also get some Remegel (I can’t stand Gavisgon!!) for when the heart burn was bad.
I don’t really remember making any changes to my diet other than eating smaller more regular meals and at one point I tried to not drink with my meals, but as it’s improved I don’t have to do that anymore. And also they’re were certain trigger foods - if something was too greasy etc so I’m careful with takeaways etc.
Lowering my stress levels seem to help with the pain as well.

But honestly once I got the right treatment (which took awhile) my symptoms are pretty much always under control, unless I have a strong anti-inflammatory or something way to greasy.

Are you under a consultant for it? Or just your GP?

Also, do you know the cause of your gastritis? For me it was a symptom of what they think is EDs which was triggered by stress.

Hope this helps ☺️ xx

Thanks again for your quick replies! Greatly appreciated.

I do have a Consultant, however the majority of information and results etc are coming cirectly from my GP. I'm hoping for a letter from the hospital in the near futute outlining more detailed results.

Sadly, I was only told 'You've been confirmed as having Gastritis and the Doctor says to continue on your Lansoprazole' - so until I've had my GP appointment (which is next month - good ey) I'm changing a few things in my diet and taking it easy. I'm eating much more fruit and drinking more water to try and keep myself hydrated more so etc etc,

As I write this, I feel great and I wouldn't even have thought that las week I had a flare up. It's naff really but hopefully once I get more details and a plan I can start to move forwards with things that I've currently got on hold.

Thanks again for your replies. xx
Reply 6
I have it too it used to be bad but it’s a lot better now I have rare flare ups maybe like one a month my stomach burns and pains. I too was on Omeprazole and that didn’t work for me well so I stopped taking it.

The key is diet. What I did for mine to vanish was a very clean bland diet mostly composed of plain chicken and rice and vegetables like lettuce. Also I had a lot of probiotic intake. What I believe helped me the most was activia yoghurt and bone broth soup(both these once or twice a day) Also don’t let yourself starve. On top of that I stopped smoking, coffee, soft drinks, alcohol and spicy food for a long time (those were staple in my diet which is what caused it in the first place).
Experiment with your food, some food does make me flare up, so I tend to avoid it. (extremely spicy food, binge drinking). But the good news is I can finally drink coffee, energy drinks and occasional beer or two. Can have everything but in moderation.

I also kept my stress levels low, working out and plenty of water and good nights sleep. Let the body heal and reconstruct the cells.
I kept this for a while and it slowly got better.l and slowly added stuff to my diet.

It’s a long journey but you will get better with diet and simply taking care of yourself, listen to your body. Hope this helps.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest