The Student Room Group

Is my job harmful to me?

Here's the deal: I've been working as a cashier for almost two years now. I use a laser to scan products. The laser is fixed and I take the product over it, it's really simple.
But sometimes when there aren't any customers nearby and I'm just sitting there I notice the laser shines directly into my eyes.
I must admit my eyes aren't the best anyway. I first got glasses after working for only a few months and I do think that's a coincidence. However, my eyes are definitely getting worse lately. I can still see but everything starts getting a little unsharp from 5 meters away. Could this be related to my job?
Original post by dutchstudent123
Here's the deal: I've been working as a cashier for almost two years now. I use a laser to scan products. The laser is fixed and I take the product over it, it's really simple.
But sometimes when there aren't any customers nearby and I'm just sitting there I notice the laser shines directly into my eyes.
I must admit my eyes aren't the best anyway. I first got glasses after working for only a few months and I do think that's a coincidence. However, my eyes are definitely getting worse lately. I can still see but everything starts getting a little unsharp from 5 meters away. Could this be related to my job?

I really doubt the laser is causing damage to your eye to be honest as those lasers are very weak and not like a laser pointer or anything similar. You could try placing a home made cover type thing on it so when it's not being used the laser isn't shining in your face?
Original post by dutchstudent123

Eyesight does change over time - so that could be a reason. Have you been to see your optician?
Reply 3
It can influence somehow but it can be not the only factor. Eyesight changes with the flow of time you just need to check it regularly and take doctor's advice
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
I really doubt the laser is causing damage to your eye to be honest as those lasers are very weak and not like a laser pointer or anything similar. You could try placing a home made cover type thing on it so when it's not being used the laser isn't shining in your face?

I hope you're right. And thanks for the tip. Most of the time I do use the laser and it shines towards me in between products anyway. But yes maybe it isn't really harmful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending