The Student Room Group

What are good GCSEs to become a clinical psychologist?

I’m choosing my GCSEs in a few weeks and I was wondering if anyone has any good idea about what GCSEs I should do?? I know there aren’t any that you have to do but what ones would be most useful/beneficial?

Also my school doesn’t do sociology or psychology.

I’m thinking about health and social as its the closest alternative at my school.

I've just applied for psychology courses and they all want maths, so definitely that. Biology would probably be good as well as the health one.
Original post by Conconz
I've just applied for psychology courses and they all want maths, so definitely that. Biology would probably be good as well as the health one.

Maths is one of my string points so I should be fine for that and do you think triple science would be best for that one then?
I'm not sure to be honest, but would probably look good.
Original post by xkatiexvioletx
Maths is one of my string points so I should be fine for that and do you think triple science would be best for that one then?

At least dual award; triple is ideal though.

It's more about your A Levels though; GCSEs are a means to end, not the end itself.
Original post by Kyber Ninja
At least dual award; triple is ideal though.

It's more about your A Levels though; GCSEs are a means to end, not the end itself.

I was thinking about triple and I know I just want to have the best chance possible as apparently it can be quite competitive. Thanks for the help.
Tbh, psychology degrees not really care about what GCSE options you take.
However, very good unis for psychology (like Bath) want 5 A-A* grades including maths and a B or above in English.
So my advice would be to pick options you know you’re good at and that you enjoy as it’s more about the grades than the subjects.

(Also, once you start doing GCSEs/A-levels you might fall in love with another subject and completely change your mind- so try not to stress too much and just do what you know are your strongest subjects).
Original post by Conconz

Maths and Biology are compulsory for GCSEs though? Xx
Original post by Bethany1309
Maths and Biology are compulsory for GCSEs though? Xx

I know maths it but I didn't know biology is. When I was at school it was just 2 out of the 3.

Quick Reply

Latest