The Student Room Group

Oxford or Edinburgh?

Thank you for reading this.
My original plan was to study both English and German.
However, I ended up being offered a place for German single honour by Oxford, while Edinburgh has offered me a place for the English Literature&German joint school.
I would very much like to know:
1) Is it worth it to major in only one modern language, even though it’s Oxford?
2) It has always been my dream to study English Literature, German is just a bonus. How hard is it to change to another subject at Oxford as an undergraduate? And any ideas on how it works?
3) Would it be a bad choice to go to Edinburgh for both languages instead of going to Oxford and giving up the subject that I’m actually interested in? Refusing Oxford just seems so hard, especially when one has done so much for an offer. Let alone the fact that maybe there’s a chance to take up English once one gets in.
A bit clueless at the moment. Thinking through all this and trying to find the optimal solution is pure tribulation per se.

Lots of thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Personally, I think this is a tough decision.

Obviously Oxford are quite prestigious and you are very lucky to have been given an offer for a single honours course. However, that being said, if you desire to study English Literature then Edinburgh may be your best bet. I don't know how good Edinburgh is at that particular subject (I personally applied there for Maths and Philosophy), but I do know that is the university that J.K. Rowling attended.

If German is a hobby (ish), and not really your dream, then it's my advice that you'd take up Edinburgh's offer. However, it's entirely up to you!

Good luck!

[EDIT] I forgot to reply to your question of changing subjects at Oxford. My assumption is that they were over subscribed for the English Literature course, and so could only offer you a place in the German one. If you do accept Oxford, then I wouldn't believe you could change courses due to the amount of students already doing English Literature.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Ving
However, I ended up being offered a place for German single honour by Oxford, while Edinburgh has offered me a place for the English Literature&German joint school.
1) Is it worth it to major in only one modern language, even though it’s Oxford?
2) It has always been my dream to study English Literature, German is just a bonus. How hard is it to change to another subject at Oxford as an undergraduate? And any ideas on how it works?
3) Would it be a bad choice to go to Edinburgh for both languages instead of going to Oxford and giving up the subject that I’m actually interested in? Refusing Oxford just seems so hard, especially when one has done so much for an offer. Let alone the fact that maybe there’s a chance to take up English once one gets in.
A bit clueless at the moment. Thinking through all this and trying to find the optimal solution is pure tribulation per se.

Lots of thanks.

Do the course that most interests you.

Presumably you applied to Oxford for joint honours but they've only offered you German? In which case it's extremely unlikely you can change to English. There's no harm in asking your college right now (they won't withdraw your offer for asking the question), but prepare to be told no.

In which case you go to Edinburgh to study the course you actually want to study.
Reply 3
Original post by Doonesbury
Do the course that most interests you.

Presumably you applied to Oxford for joint honours but they've only offered you German? In which case it's extremely unlikely you can change to English. There's no harm in asking your college right now (they won't withdraw your offer for asking the question), but prepare to be told no.

In which case you go to Edinburgh to study the course you actually want to study.

A friend told me that a friend of hers had been asked to do another interview at the faculty and afterwards they had allowed her to change subject. Not sure which subject though.
Is it like a point-blank no because I originally applied for the joint honours and was refused, and therefore won’t even be given a second chance?
Reply 4
Original post by Ving
A friend told me that a friend of hers had been asked to do another interview at the faculty and afterwards they had allowed her to change subject. Not sure which subject though.
Is it like a point-blank no because I originally applied for the joint honours and was refused, and therefore won’t even be given a second chance?

You applied for Course A+B, and were offered Course B. It's rather unlikely they are going to change their mind and offer Course A instead...

But I did say to call your college and ask them (admissions are the responsibility of the college not the department).
Reply 5
Original post by Kralisa
Personally, I think this is a tough decision.

Obviously Oxford are quite prestigious and you are very lucky to have been given an offer for a single honours course. However, that being said, if you desire to study English Literature then Edinburgh may be your best bet. I don't know how good Edinburgh is at that particular subject (I personally applied there for Maths and Philosophy), but I do know that is the university that J.K. Rowling attended.

If German is a hobby (ish), and not really your dream, then it's my advice that you'd take up Edinburgh's offer. However, it's entirely up to you!

Good luck!

[EDIT] I forgot to reply to your question of changing subjects at Oxford. My assumption is that they were over subscribed for the English Literature course, and so could only offer you a place in the German one. If you do accept Oxford, then I wouldn't believe you could change courses due to the amount of students already doing English Literature.

Thx for replying, and for your advice.

So it’s like... The college I applied to has no German tutors, but does have two in English Language and Lit. They were alledegedly (or so I’ve heard) ready to offer 4 places in English for 2018 entry. And there were about 12 candidates or so who applied for English&joint schools that were at the interview.
Obviously my interview wasn’t impressive enough, and they couldn’t offer me German single honour there owing to the fact that they don’t have German tutors. So in the end I was allocated to another college.
Reply 6
You applied for Course A+B, and were offered Course B. It's rather unlikely they are going to change their mind and offer Course A instead...

But I did say to call your college and ask them (admissions are the responsibility of the college not the department).

Will do. Thank you.
Reply 7
Some people do change course at Oxford but it's far from guaranteed that you'll be allowed. A student at my college wanted to change from geography to history and the conditions she was offered by the college tutors were to get a 1st in her first year in geography - she didn't manage it and transferred to another university. One consideration is that if you don't like the German course at Oxford you can very easily get a transfer to another university, including Edinburgh, after your first year.
Original post by Ving

Lots of thanks.

Why don't you just contact oxford and ask them? Try your best to tell them your situation in a grateful way. If they say no and you would like to study English literature rather than German, then study where your heart lies!:smile:

Good luck.
Reply 9
Update: They wrote back. It’s a point-blank no because places for English have already been allocated.
Reply 10
Original post by Ving
Update: They wrote back. It’s a point-blank no because places for English have already been allocated.

Yup, not surprised... :smile: so what's your decision?
Reply 11
Yup, not surprised... :smile: so what's your decision?

I seriously haven’t a clue.
I guess I’ll have to go to the post-offer day in Edinburgh first to get an idea of what I would be getting myself into if I were to go there. I’ll need to know more about the program they run because it’s so much different from that at Oxford (you’ll have to choose a third course to reach a certain amount of credits, etc.).
And to be frankly, I’ll have to think about whether German appeals to me in its own way. I mean, many successful authors hadn’t studied English and could still write amazing books.
Short version: I’m still torn between the two choices. The reply to that email really hasn’t cheered me up.
Reply 12
Original post by Ving
I seriously haven’t a clue.
I guess I’ll have to go to the post-offer day in Edinburgh first to get an idea of what I would be getting myself into if I were to go there. I’ll need to know more about the program they run because it’s so much different from that at Oxford (you’ll have to choose a third course to reach a certain amount of credits, etc.).
And to be frankly, I’ll have to think about whether German appeals to me in its own way. I mean, many successful authors hadn’t studied English and could still write amazing books.
Short version: I’m still torn between the two choices. The reply to that email really hasn’t cheered me up.

Well you have until May to decide.

You need to fundamentally pick the option that is closest to what you want to study. Wherever that may be.

Viel Glück!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Well you have until May to decide.

You need to fundamentally pick the option that is closest to what you want to study. Wherever that may be.

Viel Glück!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Danke dir :smile:
I know someone who had to make this exact same decision. They chose Oxford in the end because, they reasoned, it involves a lot of literature and they could - and did - spend their year abroad studying English Lit at a German uni.

I'd be inclined to say give Oxford a go, and if after a year you miss English, apply to transfer into Edinburgh.
Reply 15
Original post by Snufkin
I know someone who had to make this exact same decision. They chose Oxford in the end because, they reasoned, it involves a lot of literature and they could - and did - spend their year abroad studying English Lit at a German uni.

I'd be inclined to say give Oxford a go, and if after a year you miss English, apply to transfer into Edinburgh.

The idea of studying English Lit at a German uni does not appeal to me much, although one might argue (and many do) that there is no tuition fee whatsoever. I live in Germany and can theoretically go to any uni I want. It’s just that... you know, it’s definitely not the best location to study English.
But I do wonder though, is it possible to transfer from Edinburgh to Oxford in the second year? I know it’s extremely difficult and all that, but is it what people call “reapplying”?
Reply 16
UCL
Reply 17
Original post by _HS
UCL

Would be nice but I believe they don’t offer English/German joint honours there.
Reply 18
Original post by Ving
Would be nice but I believe they don’t offer English/German joint honours there.

haha I was just joking, I'm an oxford reject :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by _HS
haha I was just joking, I'm an oxford reject :biggrin:

That’s all right. May I know what you current choice is?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending