The Student Room Group

Oxford or Edinburgh?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ving
That’s all right. May I know what you current choice is?

most likely UCL, I have offers from warwick, st andrews and sussex (insurance), all to read history
Reply 21
This dilemma is getting so upsetting that I sometimes come to ideas like: Well screw this, I’m going to escape this morass and study medicine in Germany instead 😒 On the one hand I can save a load of money by forgetting about dreams and interests and getting involved in a subject that I’m not particularly interested in but can put up with.

Anyone thinks it’s a way better idea than Edinburgh/Oxford combined? I mean it’s either your dream uni or your dream subject, isn’t that the most depressing situation one could possibly get oneself into?
Reply 22
Original post by Ving
The idea of studying English Lit at a German uni does not appeal to me much, although one might argue (and many do) that there is no tuition fee whatsoever. I live in Germany and can theoretically go to any uni I want. It’s just that... you know, it’s definitely not the best location to study English.
But I do wonder though, is it possible to transfer from Edinburgh to Oxford in the second year? I know it’s extremely difficult and all that, but is it what people call “reapplying”?

Yes that's reapplying, but I doubt they would welcome a re-applicant who has previously rejected an offer.

I could be wrong though. Ask your college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by Ving
This dilemma is getting so upsetting that I sometimes come to ideas like: Well screw this, I’m going to escape this morass and study medicine in Germany instead 😒 On the one hand I can save a load of money by forgetting about dreams and interests and getting involved in a subject that I’m not particularly interested in but can put up with.

Anyone thinks it’s a way better idea than Edinburgh/Oxford combined? I mean it’s either your dream uni or your dream subject, isn’t that the most depressing situation one could possibly get oneself into?

You go with the subject you want to study, not the university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by _HS
most likely UCL, I have offers from warwick, st andrews and sussex (insurance), all to read history

Well all three are great! Many say that St. Andrews is one of the most beautiful places to study but I didn’t apply there because it seems pretty expensive, living cost and all that.
Reply 25
Original post by Doonesbury
Yes that's reapplying, but I doubt they would welcome a re-applicant who has previously rejected an offer.

I could be wrong though. Ask your college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the reason I would possibly reject it would be that they won’t offer the course I originally applied to. And if I were to reapply I would definitely be heading for English/German and not single honours.

I sometimes have the impression that this whole admission process is a bit personal to some extent. Situations like “you said no once and the door won’t always be open”. It’s just my personal opinion but I do find it peculiar that the admission team would seriously consider whether you were rejected before or were once offered a place but did not take it in the end. Some colleges don’t even accept reapplications by candidates who were rejected once. But isn’t this ridiculous? People improve themselves and make progress all the time, don’t they?
Reply 26
Original post by Ving
Well the reason I would possibly reject it would be that they won’t offer the course I originally applied to. And if I were to reapply I would definitely be heading for English/German and not single honours.

I sometimes have the impression that this whole admission process is a bit personal to some extent. Situations like “you said no once and the door won’t always be open”. It’s just my personal opinion but I do find it peculiar that the admission team would seriously consider whether you were rejected before or were once offered a place but did not take it in the end. Some colleges don’t even accept reapplications by candidates who were rejected once. But isn’t this ridiculous? People improve themselves and make progress all the time, don’t they?

That's why I said to check with your college.

Think of it from their side: they spend hours analysing your application, they decide to make you an offer despite not being able to offer the joint school, and then you say thanks but no thanks and you go to Edinburgh, from where you reapply for another shot...

There's always postgrad at Oxford if you really want the Oxbridge experience...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by Ving
Well all three are great! Many say that St. Andrews is one of the most beautiful places to study but I didn’t apply there because it seems pretty expensive, living cost and all that.

yeah UCL is amazing, with a sick study abroad year which I'm really looking forward to. Didn't really like st andrews because it's in the middle of nowhere. What oxford coolege did you apply for? I went for St Peters
Original post by Ving
The idea of studying English Lit at a German uni does not appeal to me much, although one might argue (and many do) that there is no tuition fee whatsoever. I live in Germany and can theoretically go to any uni I want. It’s just that... you know, it’s definitely not the best location to study English.
But I do wonder though, is it possible to transfer from Edinburgh to Oxford in the second year? I know it’s extremely difficult and all that, but is it what people call “reapplying”?

Do you speak German already? If so, I can't see much benefit to doing a single honours German degree, not unless you have a genuine passion for German literature...and it doesn't sound as if you do?

You certainly can re-apply to Oxford. If you were applying for the exact same degree again (and one that you had previously declined), and to the same college, then your chances of admission may be reduced - but that is not the case. It's perfectly legitimate to decline a place for single honours German and re-apply for German and English imo. But I agree with Doonesbury that you should email Oxford and ask to be sure.

Edinburgh's degrees are four years in length, I believe it is possible for students leaving high school with excellent grades to skip the first year (that certainly used to be the case, anyway) - so it may be possible for you to do the same thing if you decided Oxford was not for you, email them and ask.

Original post by Ving
Would be nice but I believe they don’t offer English/German joint honours there.

They do - you apply via a degree called 'Modern Languages Plus' (see these links for more info: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/selcs/study/undergraduate/modern-languages-plus/modern-language-plus-german-english-ba & https://www.ucl.ac.uk/english/prospective-students/ba-english/modern-language-plus)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Snufkin
Do you speak German already? If so, I can't see much benefit to doing a single honours German degree, not unless you have a genuine passion for German literature...and it doesn't sound as if you do?

You certainly can re-apply to Oxford. If you were applying for the exact same degree again (and one that you had previously declined), and to the same college, then your chances of admission may be reduced - but that is not the case. It's perfectly legitimate to decline a place for single honours German and re-apply for German and English imo. But I agree with Doonesbury that you should email Oxford and ask to be sure.

Edinburgh's degrees are four years in length, I believe it is possible for students leaving high school with excellent grades to skip the first year (that certainly used to be the case, anyway) - so it may be possible for you to do the same thing if you decided Oxford was not for you, email them and ask.

They do - you apply via a degree called 'Modern Languages Plus' (see these links for more info: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/selcs/study/undergraduate/modern-languages-plus/modern-language-plus-german-english-ba & https://www.ucl.ac.uk/english/prospective-students/ba-english/modern-language-plus)

First many thanks for replying.

My school’s in Germany and all classes except for English are taught in German, although German’s not my mother language.

Both at Oxford and in Edinburgh are the modern languages BA four years in length, even if I were to study only German.

And thx for the Weblinks, but most unfortunately I checked it on UCAS Track just now and it seems that I won’t be able to make changes to my choices 14 days after receiving the welcome email... if I’ve understood it correctly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending