The Student Room Group

GCSE revision

n/a
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Ok I will make a list of the subjects and the ways I revise for them rather than making a massive paragraph lol

Maths - I made notes on the topics I needed to revise for (we had a notes allowed test today but I'd imagine these notes will come in handy in the future). For my notes I focused on 12 topics and just wrote very simple instructions on each area. I included some (badly drawn) pictures to help me and honestly in my test I found it them really useful, and they are easy to remember too! Also try watching videos - I prefer shorter ones because otherwise I will get bored!! I used these for my notes too but listening to people explain how to do stuff helps!

English - For both language and literature my teacher recommends a youtube channel called Mr Bruff - he makes videos discussing in depth about all the questions etc. Personally I find him a bit boring though so I just read over what I've done in lesson. I also have always read a lot of books and they seem to have helped me with my English language - I got a grade 8 on my mock!! Hopefully I can do that again in the real thing lol

Science - Unfortunately my teachers are not very good at all, they don't really teach us much, the classes are out of control and one of them is off all the time so I last got taught chemistry properly about a year ago!! Most of what I know is just what I've picked up over the past few years of school so I can't really help...

Languages - I do French which is obviously not the same as Spanish (although from what I've read the two languages seem pretty similar). My school uses a site called Vocab Express for practising vocabulary - I don't know if you can get this yourself or if the school has to sort it out. I also don't know if they do it in Spanish but I know it's in French and German so I guess there's a good chance of a Spanish version. I also use an app called Quizlet where you basically make your own flash cards, revise them and it tests you on them. You can do most languages on it so Spanish should be no problem! Also try Duolingo, which is also an app but I think you can get it on the computer too. You can start off at any level like beginner, intermediate and so on and it will give you words and sentences to practice and they get more complex as time goes on. I also use good old google translate on my phone so I can listen to the pronunciation of words and things and also with some "extra help" for any particularly difficult homeworks lol

I do art too but I don't know how to revise that really lol I also hate it because it's so much work and my teacher is horrible so I have no motivation to do it. I don't do drama (my other options are history and economics) so I can't help with that either!! Also I did mocks in November/December and have more in March!! Strangely enough I actually don't mind exams because I like the peace and quiet and just getting on with work but I'm almost certain that I'm part of a minority on that one! I hope my advice will help you and good luck!
Original post by hughezy
Ok I will make a list of the subjects and the ways I revise for them rather than making a massive paragraph lol

Maths - I made notes on the topics I needed to revise for (we had a notes allowed test today but I'd imagine these notes will come in handy in the future). For my notes I focused on 12 topics and just wrote very simple instructions on each area. I included some (badly drawn) pictures to help me and honestly in my test I found it them really useful, and they are easy to remember too! Also try watching videos - I prefer shorter ones because otherwise I will get bored!! I used these for my notes too but listening to people explain how to do stuff helps!

English - For both language and literature my teacher recommends a youtube channel called Mr Bruff - he makes videos discussing in depth about all the questions etc. Personally I find him a bit boring though so I just read over what I've done in lesson. I also have always read a lot of books and they seem to have helped me with my English language - I got a grade 8 on my mock!! Hopefully I can do that again in the real thing lol

Science - Unfortunately my teachers are not very good at all, they don't really teach us much, the classes are out of control and one of them is off all the time so I last got taught chemistry properly about a year ago!! Most of what I know is just what I've picked up over the past few years of school so I can't really help...

Languages - I do French which is obviously not the same as Spanish (although from what I've read the two languages seem pretty similar). My school uses a site called Vocab Express for practising vocabulary - I don't know if you can get this yourself or if the school has to sort it out. I also don't know if they do it in Spanish but I know it's in French and German so I guess there's a good chance of a Spanish version. I also use an app called Quizlet where you basically make your own flash cards, revise them and it tests you on them. You can do most languages on it so Spanish should be no problem! Also try Duolingo, which is also an app but I think you can get it on the computer too. You can start off at any level like beginner, intermediate and so on and it will give you words and sentences to practice and they get more complex as time goes on. I also use good old google translate on my phone so I can listen to the pronunciation of words and things and also with some "extra help" for any particularly difficult homeworks lol

I do art too but I don't know how to revise that really lol I also hate it because it's so much work and my teacher is horrible so I have no motivation to do it. I don't do drama (my other options are history and economics) so I can't help with that either!! Also I did mocks in November/December and have more in March!! Strangely enough I actually don't mind exams because I like the peace and quiet and just getting on with work but I'm almost certain that I'm part of a minority on that one! I hope my advice will help you and good luck!

Thank you so much!! I've got some more mocks in June I think and good luck for yours in March too (grade 8 is amazing btw I think I got an 8 in English but I did terrible in maths -not my forte 😂 tbh I don't mind them either that much but I find revising quite time-consuming -I will definitely use your advice! Can relate to how much art coursework there is too, I'm so behind already lol.
Reply 3
Original post by vividlyanonymous
Thank you so much!! I've got some more mocks in June I think and good luck for yours in March too (grade 8 is amazing btw I think I got an 8 in English but I did terrible in maths -not my forte 😂 tbh I don't mind them either that much but I find revising quite time-consuming -I will definitely use your advice! Can relate to how much art coursework there is too, I'm so behind already lol.

In June I have the real GCSEs and I am NOT looking forward to them lol - I only just managed a 3 in the maths mock so I need to sort that and fast lol and I was off for the whole of last week so I'm extra behind in art and my teacher spent around 20 minutes telling me to do this and do that - so not only did I lose most of another lesson, but I'm also overloaded with work! She wants me to look at collages and surrealism but I hate both so thats not going down well at all with me! But I'm glad I could help you - now I need to help myself lol
I'd get some revision guides ASAP, as well as workbooks if you can. Learning is only 50%, applying is the other crucial 50% bit.
Original post by KingCamembert
I'd get some revision guides ASAP, as well as workbooks if you can. Learning is only 50%, applying is the other crucial 50% bit.

Thank you! That is so true about applying it and what I often fail on 😂

Quick Reply

Latest