The Student Room Group

Chemistry vs computer science A level

I am in year 11, final GCSE year. I have selected to do maths, further maths, physics and computing. However I am having second thoughts and wondering if chemistry would be a better option instead of computer science.
I enjoy them both much, but was wondering about benefits of each? What is more useful?

I can still change my choice.
depends on what you want to do in the future or what you enjoy more.
Hey dude! I do FM, Maths, Phys, Chem, and CompSci self-studied in Y12.

From what I know, Chem is definitely the tougher A Level, out of the two, CompSci A Level provides a lot of breadth but less so on depth, and is good only if you're considering working in a similar or related degree path post-18, most of what you cover in CompSci A Level is taught mostly anyway, but is good if you really enjoy the subject.

Honestly, pick 1) what you enjoy more, what you're more passionate about, which links into 2) what you feel like you're more likely to succeed in.
Original post by OdiumFM
I am in year 11, final GCSE year. I have selected to do maths, further maths, physics and computing. However I am having second thoughts and wondering if chemistry would be a better option instead of computer science.
I enjoy them both much, but was wondering about benefits of each? What is more useful?

I will fully accept I'm biased as I've applied to study Comp Sci at uni.

I'd say in terms of options open to you in the future, Comp Sci over Chemistry won't be limiting except if you want to do Chemistry or Medicine at uni. If you want to do Maths, Physics or Engineering then either is a fine fit.

An advantage of taking Comp Sci is that it teaches you coding which can be a very desirable skill in many jobs. However if you feel like the coding element in Comp Sci is something you may struggle with or otherwise not enjoy, then maybe Chemistry is the better option. The other consideration is that Comp Sci has a coursework element (20% of the qualification iirc) and this may be a positive or negative for you.

Overall choose the one with the topics that interest you most, neither of them will hold you back later in life.
Hey man,

I don't have all that much experience in Compsci. though I thought that i would reply as i am year 12 at the moment and taking three sciences and maths and i must say that Chemistry is definitely my favourite subject at the moment. Very interesting yet challanging.

Hope this helps
Reply 5
Thank you for all of the comments, it has helped to see what others think. Cheers
Reply 6
Original post by AryanGh
Hey dude! I do FM, Maths, Phys, Chem, and CompSci self-studied in Y12.

From what I know, Chem is definitely the tougher A Level, out of the two, CompSci A Level provides a lot of breadth but less so on depth, and is good only if you're considering working in a similar or related degree path post-18, most of what you cover in CompSci A Level is taught mostly anyway, but is good if you really enjoy the subject.

Honestly, pick 1) what you enjoy more, what you're more passionate about, which links into 2) what you feel like you're more likely to succeed in.

You say you self studied computer science, is it hard to self study? Would you recommend it or not?
Original post by OdiumFM
You say you self studied computer science, is it hard to self study? Would you recommend it or not?

Wouldn't say it's particularly demanding nor required, I just do it because I want to, but if you really really want to do it after looking at the course then do it, but even still, if you don't do CS and still want to do a CS degree you still have just as much, if not more chance of getting in, so again, preference.
Reply 8
Original post by OdiumFM

If you enjoy them equally, and aren't applying for a natural sciences subject, CS. The stuff you learn from CS is more applicable on a day-to-day basis than Chemistry will ever be.

It turns out at uni anyway that Physicists and Chemists end up learning to programme, and (Physicists at least) become some form of glorified data scientists.
A level computer science is nothing compared to what you learn in cs at Uni especially if you go to the top CS universities such as Edinburgh/Imperial/Oxbridge...CS is harder at degree level than chemistry at the top RG unis. Sure at A level chemistry might be a bit tough but wait until you start doing discrete mathematics and processing natural and formal languages or better yet machine learning or compiling techniques combine that with linear algebra and probability. Operating systems too...that’s CS at the top schools. Oh lets not forget about the amount of proofs you have to do in algorithms...CS is close to an applied maths degree...in fact a lot of your courses will be with maths students. Don’t understimate how hard CS is...people don’t have those kind of job prospects because CS is a cakewalk..they have it because CS is something that’s in demand because no one wants to sit at their computer in the labs until 3am working on a automated reasoning assignment, Do CS at the very theoretical universities only if you truly love CS and dream about code. I’ll note that Edinburgh is extremely mathematical for computer science and teaches you all the theory. I’m sure Oxbridge or imperial would be no different. Computer Science is a mathematical science..it isn’t an IT degree. Too may people confuse the two.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by maths_tripos23
A level computer science is nothing compared to what you learn in cs at Uni especially if you go to the top CS universities such as Edinburgh/Imperial/Oxbridge...CS is harder at degree level than chemistry at the top RG unis. Sure at A level chemistry might be a bit tough but wait until you start doing discrete mathematics and processing natural and formal languages or better yet machine learning or compiling techniques combine that with linear algebra and probability. Operating systems too...that’s CS at the top schools. Oh lets not forget about the amount of proofs you have to do in algorithms...CS is close to an applied maths degree...in fact a lot of your courses will be with maths students. Don’t understimate how hard CS is...people don’t have those kind of job prospects because CS is a cakewalk..they have it because CS is something that’s in demand because no one wants to sit at their computer in the labs until 3am working on a automated reasoning assignment, Do CS at the very theoretical universities only if you truly love CS and dream about code. I’ll note that Edinburgh is extremely mathematical for computer science and teaches you all the theory. I’m sure Oxbridge or imperial would be no different. Computer Science is a mathematical science..it isn’t an IT degree. Too may people confuse the two.

Do you study at edinbrugh? What A levels did you do / what results did you get?

Im a y11 studing hoping to go to a top uk uni for cs in a couple years

Latest