The Student Room Group

gonna enroll to Access to higher education - Law, got questions...

hi,

so in order to go to a great uni, I feel like I should get more involved in "law" or do something around which similar skills are used so that I have great stuff to write in my PS.

(just preparing in advance)

so...for people who studied law at uni, what do you think set your ps apart from everyone else's? excluding grades.

and what sort of work experience are unis looking for studying law?

ty
Original post by Ua3142
hi,

so in order to go to a great uni, I feel like I should get more involved in "law" or do something around which similar skills are used so that I have great stuff to write in my PS.

(just preparing in advance)

so...for people who studied law at uni, what do you think set your ps apart from everyone else's? excluding grades.

and what sort of work experience are unis looking for studying law?

ty

Honestly I would do A levels, cheaper and accepted everywhere. Do check what Access grades you need for the unis of your choice.

Just be genuine and avoid cliches.

Place enough emphasis on why you want to study law as an academic subject .

You dont need work experience as sufficient interest and reading is enough, but some sixth formers get a few weeks in a lawyers office or advice living environment etc.
I wouldn't avoid Access as a mature student. Firstly, with Access you get yourself in education within a year (as opposed to two). Secondly, you are prepared for L3 education throughout the course. With A-Level, you're expected to come in with some recent educational experience. If you do a 1-year A-Level, you'd be really left behind and would have difficulty catching up.

Access is accepted by all unis in the UK. There is little difficulty with convertibility. You can get a loan for Access which will die once you start university. Expense should not be an issue.

As for the PS, it does not need to be fantastic to get an offer for law. For most law schools, the majority of applicants (i.e. 50%+) will get offers. Just make sure your PS is well-written, gets to the point, and focusses on law (and your capability/motivation) to study law and not irrelevancies like watching Suits and your dad being a notary.
Reply 3
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
I wouldn't avoid Access as a mature student. Firstly, with Access you get yourself in education within a year (as opposed to two). Secondly, you are prepared for L3 education throughout the course. With A-Level, you're expected to come in with some recent educational experience. If you do a 1-year A-Level, you'd be really left behind and would have difficulty catching up.

Access is accepted by all unis in the UK. There is little difficulty with convertibility. You can get a loan for Access which will die once you start university. Expense should not be an issue.

As for the PS, it does not need to be fantastic to get an offer for law. For most law schools, the majority of applicants (i.e. 50%+) will get offers. Just make sure your PS is well-written, gets to the point, and focusses on law (and your capability/motivation) to study law and not irrelevancies like watching Suits and your dad being a notary.

Ty for this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending