The Student Room Group

Thinking of studying a semester abroad? UK student

I'm extremely interested in studying a semester abroad next year as part of my current uni course. I would like to go to Canada however I have no idea if I would still qualify for student finance for that period of time and I don't really have an idea of costs out there like accommodation and other living expenses. I would be extremely grateful if someone could advise me on this. I don't know how much I should be saving up to take with me? The tuition fees are covered by my university as I'm replacing my studies with the ones I would be doing while abroad. Also are there any grants, bursaries or scholarships available to help with the costs.
Original post by georgiafrayne
I'm extremely interested in studying a semester abroad next year as part of my current uni course. I would like to go to Canada however I have no idea if I would still qualify for student finance for that period of time and I don't really have an idea of costs out there like accommodation and other living expenses. I would be extremely grateful if someone could advise me on this. I don't know how much I should be saving up to take with me? The tuition fees are covered by my university as I'm replacing my studies with the ones I would be doing while abroad. Also are there any grants, bursaries or scholarships available to help with the costs.

Hi georgiafrayne,

The study abroad needs to be an integral part of the course?

If so you would indicate on your application form that you will be studying abroad in study location terms one to three, then the university will confirm your study abroad.

Where a student is studying abroad for part year we would look at where the student will be spending the majority of each term to determine the loan rate available to them. Where they have spent more than 50% of a term abroad we will award the abroad rate maintenance loan for the full term in question.

If the student is studying abroad for terms 1 and 2 and will be returning to their home institution for term 3 then we would award abroad rate for terms 1 and 2 then potentially elsewhere/parental for term 3.

Travel Grants can be claimed by students to assist with travel costs incurred while studying abroad.

Regards Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending