The Student Room Group

Hate college? Am I depressed

I don't understand how I am suppose to fit into college. I hate it. I have no purpose there. I feel alienated. I think negatively of everything and I am very sad and anxious. This started since I started this new environment of college. In secondary school, I was revising and saw revising as giving me a purpose, now that's all faded away and I'm lost. What should I do? Should I get a diagnosis. Is this normal? Am I a certain type of person?
Is this your first year at college ? Change is always hard. Do you have friends you could talk too? The biggest thing i can say is please don't suffer in silence. I no anxiety is horrible and try and not let it stop you from doing anything. Are you enjoying your courses? Hope your ok?
Original post by Anonymous
I don't understand how I am suppose to fit into college. I hate it. I have no purpose there. I feel alienated. I think negatively of everything and I am very sad and anxious. This started since I started this new environment of college. In secondary school, I was revising and saw revising as giving me a purpose, now that's all faded away and I'm lost. What should I do? Should I get a diagnosis. Is this normal? Am I a certain type of person?

Do you wish you stayed at secondary school? What’s so bad about college and what put you off staying at school??
Reply 3
Original post by EmilyLouiseR
Is this your first year at college ? Change is always hard. Do you have friends you could talk too? The biggest thing i can say is please don't suffer in silence. I no anxiety is horrible and try and not let it stop you from doing anything. Are you enjoying your courses? Hope your ok?

The thing is like I feel I live in my own head, so I can't relate to anyone, I don't know what people think of me, my social skills have gone, I have no more aspirations. I don't know what a friend is anymore because i don't see anything deemed worthy talking about. I don't do anything in college, what do I do?
Reply 4
Do you wish you stayed at secondary school? What’s so bad about college and what put you off staying at school??

New environment I dunno, I had good expectations of college before it started and I'd thought after secondary school, life would be easy after it but it's just more lonely, like how do you make friends? I had a dream at secondary school that I would get good grades to get into a good uni, continue the ladder of getting good grades and now I don't give a damn about grades. What should I do?
New environment I dunno, I had good expectations of college before it started and I'd thought after secondary school, life would be easy after it but it's just more lonely, like how do you make friends? I had a dream at secondary school that I would get good grades to get into a good uni, continue the ladder of getting good grades and now I don't give a damn about grades. What should I do?

Have you tried to join clubs/societies at your college? Or have you tried to make friends with the people in your lessons?
The thing is like I feel I live in my own head, so I can't relate to anyone, I don't know what people think of me, my social skills have gone, I have no more aspirations. I don't know what a friend is anymore because i don't see anything deemed worthy talking about. I don't do anything in college, what do I do?

Is there any family members you can talk too ? You could go to the doctors if you want too, there is things they can give you for anxiety. However its always good to overcome these things by yourself. There is help in other places. Don't worry you wont be the only one feeling this way. It might be that college isn't for you. Apologies i don't no your agem i no that its different now that when you leave school its required that you go into further education or do an apprenticeship. I didn't need to go into further education, i went straight into a job and did an NVQ. Would you consider trying something new? The biggest advice is too please talk about it. Its actually quite a hard time being a teenager and its hard to get your head out of the mind set your currently in. I no it doesnt seem like it now but this time will pass and you will start to feel better. I promise. Remember there will always be someone somewhere even if its on here that will talk. :smile: I hope your ok! I'm 26 so ive been through the teenger part of my life and i too had moments of being anxious and feeling just unmotivated. Im here to talk if you need too. xx

Quick Reply

Latest