The Student Room Group

How many people are still attending lectures for your course?

At my university, I swear there's like only 20-30 percent attendance...
Original post by Bowie Johnson

Put a poll up. Seems a bit shortsighted imo especially as yu are paying £X per lecture. I doubt my times it ever fell below 90%.
Original post by Bowie Johnson

That is low! In the last seminar of the term in December, it consisted of me and one other student (out of 9). But I think the lectures are holding up well at least 70%.
55%
Reply 4
I attend all.
Reply 5
About 40%.

Registers/ attendance isn't recorded for our lectures, but they are for some workshops. Even when attendance is recorded, it makes little difference.
(edited 6 years ago)
For yesterday's lecture 86 students (in a class of 105) turned up. Well, there were a couple more in the beginning, but several students left before attendance was taken. Quite a few people left after that point. Our lecturer was a little eccentric.
Reply 7
Out of a cohort of ~30 people, maybe 20 people make it on average for every lecture. But at the end of term, closer to exams, about 10 people make the lecutres lol
I have awakwrdly sat in lecture halls and 4 people show up. I always feel bad for the lecturer. I think I make it to about 70-75% of my lectures
Most of my lectures are mixed 3rd Year/postgrad. The attendance for the 3rd years is usually atrocious (usually around 30-50% every week), whereas for the postgrads there's usually only about 2 missing. Usually we have a full house at the start of the semester (particularly for the first lecture of a module when our assignments are released and explained), and then after that attendance tends to nose-dive.

The attendance for my postgrad-only lectures/seminars is much better, as there are so few of us it would be pretty obvious who's missing. The only times I see a huge drop in attendance is for lectures run by lecturers that are unpopular, or if the information is seen as a repeat of something we've already done. Attendance is also bad if lectures have been rescheduled at the last minute (particularly if the rescheduled lecture lands on a Friday), so people might be working/already have that day put aside to get an assignment finished/have gone home for the weekend etc.

Quick Reply

Latest