The Student Room Group

Corsa 1.2

What does the 16v mean when looking at 1.2 corsa’s? Would I get insurance on a 1.2 corsa with 16v, I’m 17 years old.How much would the insurance be???

Scroll to see replies

16v means 16 valves, don't worry about that it's pretty standard. Shouldn't really impact your insurance

As for your quote, depends on where you live/who your policy's with/other drivers on the car/value of the car/where you'd keep it etc. I'd recommend getting on a comparing website like moneysupermarket or something, filling in your details and having a look!
Expect to pay a four figure sum though, insurance is rough for youngsters. :smile:
Original post by Lattenborough17
What does the 16v mean when looking at 1.2 corsa’s? Would I get insurance on a 1.2 corsa with 16v, I’m 17 years old.How much would the insurance be???

As above, 16v refers to the amount of valves it has. We won't know your premiums will be like, the only way would be to get a quote from insurers. :smile:

Just tagging @AngryJellyfish to get this moved to Cars and motoring.
Do yourself a favour - don't get a Corsa.
Original post by nevershear

Why not
Reply 5
Original post by Fighter365
Why not

How much do you value your life?
Original post by IWMTom

A lot

Original post by IWMTom

There are worse cars :wink:

Like the.... erm... you know, other worse cars.
Original post by RoyalSheepy

I know they’re so mainstream and boring but there’s so many out there parts are so cheap if something goes wrong
Original post by RoyalSheepy

The Corsa is not worthy of the VXR, same way Peugeot's aren't worthy of the GTI.

Why not

Oh boy where do we begin.

The entry model Corsas are extremely weak, which means that most people that have driven them over the years have pushed them to their absolute limit like 16 seconds on a straight to hit 60 are you kidding me, lol. When I join the M4 from the slip I can always see that one Corsa crawling behind in the left lane trying desperately to reach 50-60 and join up.

They are, ironically, known as a boy racer car, but this is usually on the slightly more powerful engines as Corsas are well known for being cheap and cheerful to insure and buy, and they're one of the better looking "older" first cars. This is not so much the case now, their insurance group is still low, but still seen as a high risk car by insurers for new drivers. They're also not structurally safe, especially C series and older, I think this was the bit Tom was getting it.

Also just a pain to find one going with a strong service history that's been looked after, steering rack, water pumps seizing up, exhaust leaks and the brakes are all things that can go rapidly downhill. These are things most young drivers don't know how to look at and pay attention to.

The entry model Corsas are extremely weak, which means that most people that have driven them over the years have pushed them to their absolute limit like 16 seconds on a straight to hit 60 are you kidding me, lol. When I join the M4 from the slip I can always see that one Corsa crawling behind in the left lane trying desperately to reach 50-60 and join up.

They are, ironically, known as a boy racer car, but this is usually on the slightly more powerful engines as Corsas are well known for being cheap and cheerful to insure and buy, and they're one of the better looking "older" first cars. This is not so much the case now, their insurance group is still low, but still seen as a high risk car by insurers for new drivers. They're also not structurally safe, especially C series and older, I think this was the bit Tom was getting it.

Also just a pain to find one going with a strong service history that's been looked after, steering rack, water pumps seizing up, exhaust leaks and the brakes are all things that can go rapidly downhill. These are things most young drivers don't know how to look at and pay attention to.

Thanks this is quite helpful

Would you recommend a Ford Fiesta instead if not what other cars
Thanks this is quite helpful

Would you recommend a Ford Fiesta instead if not what other cars

I feel like if I recommended the Fiesta I'd be super-biased.

The Seat Ibiza is probably one of the best "first cars" I've ever seen, and easily in my opinion the best new car in the small hatchback segment. Wouldn't recommend the Audi A1 or the new A-Class (aka the proxy Renault). I think the new 0.9 Clio is extremely fun looking as well but I probably wouldn't by any of the older Clios.
I feel like if I recommended the Fiesta I'd be super-biased.

The Seat Ibiza is probably one of the best "first cars" I've ever seen, and easily in my opinion the best new car in the small hatchback segment. Wouldn't recommend the Audi A1 or the new A-Class (aka the proxy Renault). I think the new 0.9 Clio is extremely fun looking as well but I probably wouldn't by any of the older Clios.

I like the seat ibiza but there seems to be few of them around near where I live. Btw I won’t be getting a new car
The Corsa is not worthy of the VXR, same way Peugeot's aren't worthy of the GTI.

The VXR is an amazing, nippy little car, not being biased there :wink:

Tbf, is a good little run around for young people, and those problems can all happen for small hatchbacks. (I'm talking about the Corsa D and Corsa E here, not the older, vile looking Corsas)

The older Corsas are death traps on wheels.
I like the seat ibiza but there seems to be few of them around near where I live. Btw I won’t be getting a new car

There's a reason there are a few around. They're good cars. My mate tried to be unique and get a Mitsubishi Mirage when it came out, we're into year 2 now and he's not even half way through paying off that piece of crap.
Reply 15
The Corsa is fine for what it is; ideal for a first car. It is popular, cheap to insure and to run, which means a good deal is likely to be found. However, some of the older models have a terribly bad reputation for reliability, but statistics show that the newer models have vastly improved on this.

The main issue is that the Corsa is not remarkable enough to stand out amongst the crowd. The small-car market is an extremely competitive market and the Corsa has nothing remotely unique or great to sell it. The VW Polo, Fiesta, Ibiza as well as a number of other cars are superior in just about every single way.
(edited 6 years ago)
Why not

For some of the replies you've had to this question, I'd recommend a hefty pinch of salt...
Why not

For some of the replies you've had to this question, I'd recommend a hefty pinch of salt...
Original post by CurlyBen

The irony of this is I am literally so salty about Corsas. If someone asked me what are the things you're most guaranteed to find in this section, I'd probably answer with: Corsa hate, anti-black box posts, "You're an idiot for doing x you idioting idiot" and an occasional Sheepy post of "But... but... not all corsas are bad... m...m...muh VXR :'(" - and if we're having a really stereotypical week, a "my black box policy was cancelled" thrown in for good measure.
(edited 6 years ago)
and an occasional Sheepy post of "But... but... not all corsas are bad... m...m...muh VXR :'("

:wavey:

But you'd rather recommend a Corsa, than say a car like a Fiat 500 :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending