The Student Room Group

Loughborough: Foundation in Art and Design Entry 2018

Hi,
Got my offer from Loughborough for Foundation Art and Design today. It’s my favourite so I’m going to accept my offer. Took just under two weeks from my assessment to hear back.
Wondered if anyone else has heard or is applying/wanting to go so I can get to know some people beforehand.
Also, I live in the UK but too far to commute, so I’m going to be looking at accommodation. Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions for halls? Or anyone who is also going to be going starting in October 2018 got any ideas where they might choose?
Good luck with all of you applications everyone.
Original post by elhcupcake
Hi,
Got my offer from Loughborough for Foundation Art and Design today. It’s my favourite so I’m going to accept my offer. Took just under two weeks from my assessment to hear back.
Wondered if anyone else has heard or is applying/wanting to go so I can get to know some people beforehand.
Also, I live in the UK but too far to commute, so I’m going to be looking at accommodation. Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions for halls? Or anyone who is also going to be going starting in October 2018 got any ideas where they might choose?
Good luck with all of you applications everyone.

Hi elhcupcake

Congrats on your offer :dance: and great to hear you are thinking of firming Loughborough.

For accommodation first decide if you want to go catered or self catered.
Then look at the prices and see what's in your price range.
Then look at location on campus - do you want to be in the student village or close to where your course is going to be?
I wouldn't get too hung up on specific halls especially at this stage.

Have a look here - might give you a bit of an idea of what's what.
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/accommodation/halls/undergraduate/

Also have a look here for information specific to Foundation course students http://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/accommodation/prospective-students/art-design-foundation/ - worth a read so you know what to expect.

Hope this helps
Vicky
Hi elhcupcake,

I just firmed my offer for the art foundation today and I am looking into Evyln Richards or William Morris for accommodation
Reply 3
Original post by Lara Knight
Hi elhcupcake,

I just firmed my offer for the art foundation today and I am looking into Evyln Richards or William Morris for accommodation

Hi Lara,
I've looked at William Morris too, I think that's my favourite. I looked online at the links Loughborough replied to my post the other day and I don't think Evelyn Richards is open to Foundation students.
I think I'll probably try and get into William Morris when the application opens in August.
Thanks for replying and hopefully see you there.
Em
Reply 4
Hey everyone.

I’ve just finished art foundation at Loughborough and I thought I’d come on here to let you guys know what it is like.

At first I had hopes for the university, it was high up on the league tables and the PR team did a good job of convincing me on the open day.

However it was within about three days where I began to realise Loughborough was not what it said it was at all.

The first week of foundation was the biggest waste of time, we listened to the sound that paper makes... we learnt how to photocopy in textiles (my friend followed this pathway and hated it as she never actually made any dresses etc)... we folded card and drew the shadows... and we got made to take pictures of Loughborough town like you would at GCSE - I had no help or guidance when it came to photography. A lot of people were frustrated with the amount of materials we were made to purchase too - half of which we didn’t use. Just a heads up.

I couldn’t have been more disappointed.

If you’re the type of person that can buy into how paint feels or how canvases think then maybe Loughborough is for you. But I love to give meaning to my pieces and have a concept behind an idea - Loughborough discouraged this though. In fact, it seemed that if I had any idea that hadn’t been entirely copied from a famous artist then it was practically irrelevant. Any meaning for that matter is pretty much dismissed.

I created an installation with various artworks inside it in a variety of media and when I showed the tutors the pics etc in my sketchbook, one of them was practically disgusted. I told them I got an unconditional offer from another uni and I was met with a long silence. He was physically careless with my work and then continued to tell me not to present my work in the way I had (with backgrounds, colour, lots of writing and an overall engaging display if you ask me) before implying that I wouldn’t pass if I didn’t redo it. It was over 90 pages and took a hell of a lot of effort but I redid the whole thing on a boring blank book.

After that I was never spoken to really... I wasn’t allowed to express myself how I wanted and although ‘nothing is wrong’ and ‘art is whatever you make it,’ apparently everything is wrong unless you’re exactly the same as everyone else.

I wouldn’t recommend anyone going there for art. However if you like being like everyone else, and, even if you haven’t turned up half the year, like being told exactly how to pass (to name a few of the issues) then loughborough’s the uni for you.

Yeah I’m one angry muffin on the student room telling you the uni sucks and inevitably you won’t listen but I couldn’t recommend you not go more.

Good luck.
Original post by lilsmoo
Hey everyone.

I’ve just finished art foundation at Loughborough and I thought I’d come on here to let you guys know what it is like.

Hi lilsmoo

I'm sorry to hear you didn’t find the Art Foundation course to be what you expected. We have a great rate of progression from our Foundation to our degree courses, so this is highly unusual.

If you’d like to make this complaint formal I have sent you a PM with the details you'll need to provide to me and I can take it forward for you.

Vicky
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest