The Student Room Group

Am I crazy to consider switching universities at the end of first year?

I'm currently studying Biology in my first year at a top 5 UK university. Despite doing well and achieving 1st and 2:1 grades in coursework assignments thus far, I'm considering switching to a university closer to home from second year.

The potentially new university is considered outside of the top 100 in league tables. Switching from the second year would enable me to live at home which would save on accommodation fees.

Would gaining a degree from a lowly ranked university impact me in the future compared to one in the top 5?

Thanks.
Original post by MickeyMaccy
I'm currently studying Biology in my first year at a top 5 UK university. Despite doing well and achieving 1st and 2:1 grades in coursework assignments thus far, I'm considering switching to a university closer to home from second year.

The potentially new university is considered outside of the top 100 in league tables. Switching from the second year would enable me to live at home which would save on accommodation fees.

Would gaining a degree from a lowly ranked university impact me in the future compared to one in the top 5?

Thanks.

Hi there,

Erm, it's a tricky one because there's no real stats to show for this, especially with a broad degree like biology which can be used in a variety of sectors. Think about the reasons you'd like to move closer to home - is it merely because of the money you would save, or is it something else which could be rectified before this academic year is over? I wouldn't say you would be extremely disadvantaged by obtaining your biology degree from a lower ranked university, though I would say that there are league tables for a reason and many employers are aware of this. For me however, a degree is a degree at the end of the day and having known people to go to both Russel Group and Poly unis, if I were to be an employer I honestly couldn't give a toss as long as the academics themselves were good.

Well done on the excellent grades thus far by the way, you should be extremely proud to have achieved them already in your first year! :smile:
Do you have the original A level grades for the other Uni? Usually it doesn't matter what Uni grades you now have - if they would never have accepted you last year for Year 1, they usually wont accept you now.

One of the school leaver myths is that 'what Uni' is crucial - and actually it isnt. Employers are usually only interested in '2i or First'. Yes there is obviously a difference between Oxford and London Met etc, but within the long list of UK Unis things like League Table position and nebulous things like 'prestige' have no relevance to employers at all.

Also - and this is important - friendship/social issues. You will be switching into a group of strangers who will probably already have their friendship groups sorted. It can be very different to break into this. Also, no repeat Freshers week events to introduce you to the Uni - so you will be expected to already know how this Uni and the degree structure etc works. Some transfers-in find both of these aspects very frustrating and end up wondering why they switched.

Given that many 'top' Unis will not allow transfers - or simply wont have space for you in that cohort going into the 2nd year - its often a better idea to re-start the degree as a newbie. It makes the transition much easier.

Think carefully. Go and have a walk-around the other Uni and think about the reality of starting again. And email the Uni to find out their policy on transfers.

Thanks.

I think switching to home to save some money would be a poor short-term decision. You need to think what's best for your future career in Biology.

While some may say 'no one cares what uni you went to any more' that may be true for some professions but for many it is far from the case. I don't know much about Biology to say either way but I know from my own time in finance that there was certainly preference given to those from a top uni vs access unis.

Thanks.

I'm in the exact same situation and have also been doing well (3 firsts, 2 upper seconds) but want to transfer to a uni that is a lot lower in the tables because of similar reasons to yours.

In my case though, I have bad A Level grades so not sure if this will work out :/
Reply 5
I wouldn't move from a top 5 university unless absolutely necessary. So in your case, if you think continuing at your current university won't be economically viable, then obviously move. Otherwise, there is a reason some universities don't have great ratings.

I had to go to a low ranked university due to my circumstances at the time and it was absolutely not worth it. They get nothing right, there are all sorts of errors in student records and my graduation has been delayed etc, despite being a top student. Obviously this needn't happen to everyone at every university not at the top, but it is certainly a possibility.Their standards for marking are also so low that some people manage to get extremely high results for work they don't even understand.

So I think getting good grades from a reputed(top) university might be viewed as more impressive. Like someone said above, which university you got your degree from certainly matters, unless I suppose you have something besides grades to show (work placements, academic awards etc).
A different subject, but when I studied first time round (8 years ago). I transferred uni's at the end of my second year for similar reasons. Best decision I ever made. Went on t get first class degree and study my MA and PGCE. Don't let it deter you.
Original post by wonderuss
I'm in the exact same situation and have also been doing well (3 firsts, 2 upper seconds) but want to transfer to a uni that is a lot lower in the tables because of similar reasons to yours.

In my case though, I have bad A Level grades so not sure if this will work out :/

They won't care about your A levels if you've already shown you can average high at uni
Original post by lucabrasi98
They won't care about your A levels if you've already shown you can average high at uni

Really? But somebody above said the opposite? They said that even if you do well in uni, if you didn't get the required A Levels specified on the website you'd still not be accepted. :/
Really? But somebody above said the opposite? They said that even if you do well in uni, if you didn't get the required A Levels specified on the website you'd still not be accepted. :/

My friend got CDE. Got rejected from his first choice uni for computer science.

Then he went to middlesex and averaged 80%+ in his first year. In his second year he switched unis to one whose entry requirements were normally AAB. But the conditions were he gets over 75% in his first year which he did. So they accepted him.
My friend got CDE. Got rejected from his first choice uni for computer science.

Then he went to middlesex and averaged 80%+ in his first year. In his second year he switched unis to one whose entry requirements were normally AAB. But the conditions were he gets over 75% in his first year which he did. So they accepted him.

Thank you so much for this. What was the uni he transferred to?
Thank you so much for this. What was the uni he transferred to?

He went from Middlesex to this course

https://www2.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree/detail/mcomp-computing-science?_ga=2.19148604.542133439.1518279026-591653093.1518279026

AAB despite his A levels being lower. Tbh there's no hurt in trying. First just email a bunch of Uni departments with what you're currently attaining at your university + what course you want to transfer to. They'll tell you if you transferring is feasible.

Besides, think of all the foundation year students. Many do foundation years cause they missed out on a first choice. Then at the end of the year they at a Uni then choose to go to a better Uni. Albeit in these cases they only missed their offers by a few grades in the first place. Idk what that other guy is talking about.
Reply 12
Original post by returnmigrant
Do you have the original A level grades for the other Uni? Usually it doesn't matter what Uni grades you now have - if they would never have accepted you last year for Year 1, they usually wont accept you now.

One of the school leaver myths is that 'what Uni' is crucial - and actually it isnt. Employers are usually only interested in '2i or First'. Yes there is obviously a difference between Oxford and London Met etc, but within the long list of UK Unis things like League Table position and nebulous things like 'prestige' have no relevance to employers at all.

Also - and this is important - friendship/social issues. You will be switching into a group of strangers who will probably already have their friendship groups sorted. It can be very different to break into this. Also, no repeat Freshers week events to introduce you to the Uni - so you will be expected to already know how this Uni and the degree structure etc works. Some transfers-in find both of these aspects very frustrating and end up wondering why they switched.

Given that many 'top' Unis will not allow transfers - or simply wont have space for you in that cohort going into the 2nd year - its often a better idea to re-start the degree as a newbie. It makes the transition much easier.

Think carefully. Go and have a walk-around the other Uni and think about the reality of starting again. And email the Uni to find out their policy on transfers.

DON'T DO IT!

90% of what makes us happy is our relationships. I transferred part of my major at the end of my first year and left the most amazing group of people whom I had lots of friends with for a group that were cliquey and had already established their clique. One of the worst decisions of my life.

Unless you HATE where you are... don't do it. I can't stress this highly enough.
He went from Middlesex to this course

https://www2.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree/detail/mcomp-computing-science?_ga=2.19148604.542133439.1518279026-591653093.1518279026

AAB despite his A levels being lower. Tbh there's no hurt in trying. First just email a bunch of Uni departments with what you're currently attaining at your university + what course you want to transfer to. They'll tell you if you transferring is feasible.

Besides, think of all the foundation year students. Many do foundation years cause they missed out on a first choice. Then at the end of the year they at a Uni then choose to go to a better Uni. Albeit in these cases they only missed their offers by a few grades in the first place. Idk what that other guy is talking about.

Thanks

Thanks.

It would be a ridiculous idea. If you have to change, change to at least a decent university near home otherwise just stay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't do it OP. Unless you're really really unhappy. Otherwise, don't leave a top 5 uni just because you want to be closer to home.
Reply 16

Thanks.

Given that you haven't returned to your thread after 2 days I'm not sure there's much point me asking this but, apart from saving a bit of your student loan on accommodation are there any other reasons why you want to change university?

If not, and you are enjoying the course, and doing well, it doesn't make much sense to move.

The student loan isn't like a normal debt and the amount you pay off each month doesn't change according to the size of the loan, what changes is the time it takes to pay it off.
(edited 6 years ago)

Thanks.

I switched Universities at the end of first year, last year. Couldn't be happier
Original post by NKSSSSS09
I switched Universities at the end of first year, last year. Couldn't be happier

I mean so did I, but I upgraded.. OP is severely downgrading.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
I mean so did I, but I upgraded.. OP is severely downgrading.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah the OP is. I upgraded like you. I wouldn't downgrade.

Quick Reply

Latest