The Student Room Group

Ameebo’s Pathway to an 8

Hi there,

So I decided to start doing a ‘Grow Your Grades’ blog as part of motivating myself to improve on my main/crutical subjects. Motivation is what I think personally is one of the key things to get myself to work at my best performance although I do think I could find this quite challenging as I am an ever so lazy person but this could get me into a ritual.
My KS4 grades and ATL are:

Spoiler

I clearly need to begin by improving on my ATL (attitude to learning) so here are a list of things I need for a 1 in ATL:

Spoiler

I have decided what I am going to do for the subjects listed below:

Spoiler

Ranking 1-7 which will be quicker to earn 1 being highest 7 being lowest:

Spoiler

After achieving the targets I want, I am going to try and attempt the tests for private school hoping to get into at least 2 of my chosen 3 schools.
A few random points about me:

Spoiler

So that’s a bit of information about me and how I’m going to make this happen! I am hoping that I will be able to improve on my grades very quickly and I’m hoping I won’t lose interest 🤦🏻*♀️
I am open to any suggestions or tips and tricks on methods of revision! This journey will be a tough one but it will be worth it!
Lots of love,
Ameebo x 💜
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

A list of revision methods I can attempt:
1. Watching videos
2. Reading it up
3. Chewing a certain sweet for certain subjects
3. When doing revision spray a perfume before you do it but also spray the same perfume before the same test
4. Copying it out
5. Making notes
6. Whiteboard working
7. Teaching it to a friend/sibling
8. Posters
9. Explanations
10. Flash cards
11. Reminders
Something I can try for Science, Maths, History, RE, Spanish
What I am going to attempt to work on first:
Spanish:
- Spanish lessons every Tuesday and Thursday
- Speak to teacher about extra homework and help at lunchtimes
- Get past papers and textbooks off Amazon

xx Ameebo
(edited 6 years ago)
Today was a pretty productive day. I started off my revision as soon as I woke up in the morning 9.00am (quite early for me!) and started practicing the stuff I had learnt this week in maths and added it into a folder. I also did the same for science. This folder I have created contains everything I’ve learnt so far so that when I have tests and assessments I can look back and it’s just basically explaining each topic in my own words. I’ve so far drank 4 bottles of water to keep hydrated and I finished my revision at 3.00pm when I took a break to eat dinner and chill out for a bit reading a bit of The Guardian newspaper. I took small gaps during revision to go onto my phone and I listened to a bit of music. For my notes, I used stuff I’ve done in my books during class and from CGP textbooks and online BBC Bitesize GCSE. My desk got pretty cluttered and at one point I had no space to write so I’m going to clean that up after I clean up my room. I am then going to have a bath and get ready for school tomorrow packing up my school bag. I might show what I put inside my school bag tomorrow xx Ameebo ☺️❤️✨A6FB7F32-B212-4E75-8916-D8E764FE684C.jpg.jpegDD448291-9CFB-452A-AAFA-415674FBBEF2.jpg.jpeg97680955-919A-40A2-9DD6-31B240A97D97.jpg.jpeg
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by queenmeelzx
Today was a pretty productive day. I started off my revision as soon as I woke up in the morning 9.00am (quite early for me!) and started practicing the stuff I had learnt this week in maths and added it into a folder. I also did the same for science. This folder I have created contains everything I’ve learnt so far so that when I have tests and assessments I can look back and it’s just basically explaining each topic in my own words. I’ve so far drank 4 bottles of water to keep hydrated and I finished my revision at 3.00pm when I took a break to eat dinner and chill out for a bit reading a bit of The Guardian newspaper. I took small gaps during revision to go onto my phone and I listened to a bit of music. For my notes, I used stuff I’ve done in my books during class and from CGP textbooks and online BBC Bitesize GCSE. My desk got pretty cluttered and at one point I had no space to write so I’m going to clean that up after I clean up my room. I am then going to have a bath and get ready for school tomorrow packing up my school bag. I might show what I put inside my school bag tomorrow xx Ameebo ☺️❤️✨A6FB7F32-B212-4E75-8916-D8E764FE684C.jpg.jpegDD448291-9CFB-452A-AAFA-415674FBBEF2.jpg.jpeg97680955-919A-40A2-9DD6-31B240A97D97.jpg.jpeg

Your notes are so cute!
Good luck with GCSEs, I don’t know how you can aim so high in music:s-smilie: it's one of my worst subjects loool. Any advice?:h:
Original post by Toastiekid
Your notes are so cute!
Good luck with GCSEs, I don’t know how you can aim so high in music:s-smilie: it's one of my worst subjects loool. Any advice?:h:

Lol, Music is my best subject! My advice for music is, when playing the keyboard (or doing a practical) you need to find your comfortable position and strategies. It might be different to you, when I started in year 7 I got high scores and Music was also my strongest subject then because I had been playing and doing exams in flute since I was 7 which meant I was much more used to doing things like that!

I think you need to find out what fits together so start of doing small sections of music first and then when doing that, maybe with two hands, find out what your going to press at what time and sort of put that together and practice that again and again. If you keep doing that for small chunks and then put them all together, it will sort of make sense. The practicing is the best bit because your brain will know what certain keys to press at certain times.

I hope that helped, what are you specifically finding hard in music?

xx
Today’s been a really tense day on behalf of stuff happening with people and friends but I’ve managed to sort of keep my wavelength during lessons. First I had history which bored me so much I couldn’t concentrate and ended up talking to my friend on another table which is the worst thing to do! Then I had a flute lesson and I am getting to play the main part because the person that is supposed to be doing it is currently ill, unfortunately. Then I had maths and because I had my flute lesson I missed half of it and we were doing cumulative graphs which was pretty easy. After break I had RE and apparently I was “on fire” during that lesson and I got myself a load of praises. I find RE very interesting but I’m just really bad at it and I have no idea how to get better at it! After RE we had English and we were reading this class book for the whole lesson and then I had swimming and then my school day finished. I have been given a lot of homework and stuff including one I have done tonight and I did a maths crib sheet because I have an assessment tomorrow. Our maths teacher basically gives us all the topics in a test and we have to do a crib sheet on it which we use during the test. This makes all my tests VERY easy. I didn’t really need to write in much detail at all because it is all very easy stuff!
001D477D-1223-4665-892B-418BC5AB8F9A.jpg.jpeg 723F3F08-FE5C-40C3-BCCF-BE7FD4B49488.jpg.jpeg

Xxx
Ameebo 💗
(edited 6 years ago)
Lol, Music is my best subject! My advice for music is, when playing the keyboard (or doing a practical) you need to find your comfortable position and strategies. It might be different to you, when I started in year 7 I got high scores and Music was also my strongest subject then because I had been playing and doing exams in flute since I was 7 which meant I was much more used to doing things like that!

I think you need to find out what fits together so start of doing small sections of music first and then when doing that, maybe with two hands, find out what your going to press at what time and sort of put that together and practice that again and again. If you keep doing that for small chunks and then put them all together, it will sort of make sense. The practicing is the best bit because your brain will know what certain keys to press at certain times.

I hope that helped, what are you specifically finding hard in music?

xx

ahaha I can do the practical side (grade seven piano woop woop) I struggle more with the composition side of things:frown:
That’s a good idea breaking things down into chunks, I tend to go crazy and either not practise or try to learn a whole page in one go:biggrin:
thanks and good luck:tongue:
Original post by Toastiekid
ahaha I can do the practical side (grade seven piano woop woop) I struggle more with the composition side of things:frown:
That’s a good idea breaking things down into chunks, I tend to go crazy and either not practise or try to learn a whole page in one go:biggrin:
thanks and good luck:tongue:

Haha thanks :smile:
Reply 8

Hi there,

So I decided to start doing a ‘Grow Your Grades’ blog as part of motivating myself to improve on my main/crutical subjects. Motivation is what I think personally is one of the key things to get myself to work at my best performance although I do think I could find this quite challenging as I am an ever so lazy person but this could get me into a ritual.
My KS4 grades and ATL are:

Spoiler

I clearly need to begin by improving on my ATL (attitude to learning) so here are a list of things I need for a 1 in ATL:

Spoiler

I have decided what I am going to do for the subjects listed below:

Spoiler

Ranking 1-7 which will be quicker to earn 1 being highest 7 being lowest:

Spoiler

After achieving the targets I want, I am going to try and attempt the tests for private school hoping to get into at least 2 of my chosen 3 schools.
A few random points about me:

Spoiler

So that’s a bit of information about me and how I’m going to make this happen! I am hoping that I will be able to improve on my grades very quickly and I’m hoping I won’t lose interest 🤦🏻*♀️
I am open to any suggestions or tips and tricks on methods of revision! This journey will be a tough one but it will be worth it!
Lots of love,
Ameebo x 💜

I find your approach to your studies, using ATL (attitude to learning), quite interesting. I never really thought of doing it like that :curious:.

Good luck on your current studies though! :u:
Original post by wifd149
I find your approach to your studies, using ATL (attitude to learning), quite interesting. I never really thought of doing it like that :curious:.

Good luck on your current studies though! :u:

Thankyou very much! x
Hey,
so I know this is yesterdays date but I had a very stressful day and didn't get time to upload on my iPhone as it had been confiscated, but not to worry because i'm sure I will get it back soon! x For the first lesson I had IT and we didn't really do much during that lesson it was just launching our old work and our school email and stuff like that. I then had Science with the most awesome teacher ever! Recently we have been finding the reactions with acids and metals and it has been very interesting as Science is one of my favourite subjects. I didn't really get a break after that or a form time as I was in the 'Support and Welfare office' for the most of the time which was when my phone got confiscated. I then had English and we have recently been reading this book called 'Refugee Boy' by Benjamin Zephaniah and we read some of that and did a P.E.E.L. paragraph on the question we got asked "How does Benjamin Zephaniah show sympathy for Alem in chapter 7?" P.E.E.L stands for, Point, Explanation, Evidence, Link. Although I also didn't get to do much that day as I was in the welfare office most of that time too. I had Spanish for my next lesson and it's also one of my favourite subjects. We were writing a long paragraph of our dream holiday in Spanish and we had to write in a lot of detail including everything, it's going to sound lame, I know, but I got myself 6 of these reward points that we call 'Praises' because during the lesson before that, I had gotten everything I needed and more to write my paragraph and I was the only one that did enough work and was ready. Unlike anyone else in my class, I take my studies in Spanish quite seriously and make sure that I have everything right so that was pretty awesome and brought out the positivity in that day! For the last lesson I had Maths and did a maths test using the crib sheet I had completed the day before. I guess I did okay but I was too scared to re-re-check my test before the end of the lesson when I handed it into my teacher. After school I had some History homework to complete but unfortunately some extreme stuff happened after school and I was really busy therefore I was unable to do it yesterday and got myself 2 'Penalties' today, which are the negative points in my school.
It was a pretty unproductive day which is not a good start for my GRG! Hopefully I can challenge myself to get better and do ALL my homework for that week on the weekend which is something I find utterly annoying because I am so lazy and usually just want to chill out ALL THE TIME.

xx Ameebo
Haiiiiiii,

I am absolutely exhaused from today at school! Today we had a half day so it was super short and we finished at 12:00 pm, thank god! For some reason I felt really rubbish, I don't know if it was just the aftermath of yesterday or just growing up but during my first lesson (Science) I asked for some fresh air and I walked out of the lesson for about 15-20 mins and just stood in the corridor feeling like nothing. I barely knew what was going on in that lesson when I came back so what I did was I just asked my extremely awesome and kind Science teacher to help me out. I then had History which, honestly, this year History has become a disappointment to me. Maybe its just the teacher? I don't know but it's really boring the crap outta me tbh and half the time idek where I am or what i'm doing I just think about Tom Holland :wink: Then we didn't have form or anything so I just went straight to break with my B.F.A.S. (best friend at school) because we really aren't that close and lets be honest, many people in our year that hate us there's only 5 that like us and irdc because they're not my friends and they're not going to be there for me in the future so we mostly just hang out because nobody else wants to? Then we had our last lesson of the day, Art. I really don't like art but somehow i'm getting good scores in it? Idk why but still, i'd rather have a second lesson of music. I came home, ate lunch and watched a load of Netflix series', Daredevil is my fave and i'm currently waiting for the second season of Jessica Jones to come out. (I am the biggest MARVEL fan ever!) So, that's 1 thing to look forward taking exams and sets and school completely out of the picture. I think i'd like to do a sport but I don't know what to do and my weakest subject is P.E.! I also feel it would be quite good for when I apply to uni apart from saying I can play the flute and piano. So, if that's something anyone could give advice on, i'd be open for suggestions! I am also, trying to get into buying a new iMac and this time for myself! So everyone in my family has an iMac but I want one for my dad's house because i'll be visiting a lot taking my homework and revision and my dad refuses to get an iPad because everything in the apple store is 'too expensive' says the guy who always gets the latest iPhone smh.. but there's this iMac Mini thing that has the computer in this tiny device and I can purchase a separate monitor for it so then i'll get something to work on in my dad's new house! He said he might get it so I think I am going to ask my brother for monitor advice as he has 4 different computers fml. I think now I am going to complete some extra Math revision in my folder,

xx Ameebo
Hey,
so today I had an okay-day I guess. Thursdays are my favourite days because I have Music, Spanish and Maths all in one although I don't really like the last 2 lessons - English and Food Technology. There's something about English.... ever since I moved to this school, the teaching of the subject has been pretty crap ngl. English used to be the ultimate subject for me! I was obsessed with it! That's when, first I wanted to do a degree in Journalism, then I wanted to do a degree in English, now I want to do a degree in Law although I could do a bachelors in English and then do a Masters and PhD in Law? I don't think i'm THAT into doing a degree in English anymore but I know a lot of people doing one, like someone's doing one in Greek and Mythology I think? Law has always been my ULTIMATE choice of what I want to do when I'm older, but recently I have been quite off it because people are telling me repeatedly that I won't be able to make it to Law and it will be too difficult for me and I will get bored of it. So I have also been thinking about Chemical Engineering (my brother did a masters) but not 100% because doing Law has got me more hooked than I thought. Opinions? So that is what English has done to me and it's really annoying that I don't enjoy the lesson anymore.
Anyway, for my first lesson I had Maths and we did - **** I literally FORGOT. I think it was... yeah I forgot, i'll edit this later and tell you what I did. Unfortunately, I have not got my book even though my teacher had already marked it which is kind of annoying because I need it for my folder, crap! After Maths, I had Spanish and I did loads of different reading things like she tested us using a GCSE textbook. Then after assembly (the most boring thing in the world, on 'responsibility') I had MUSIC!!! WOOHHHOOO Me and B.F.A.S. partnered up in the lesson because we are doing a singing project in music. My Music teacher showed us a load of songs that we could do, but if we had any suggestions, he could look at them and see if they were good songs for us to perform in front of our class. Unlike everyone else, I wasn't scared at all. Like I didn't know what there was to be scared about! All we had to do was perform in front of the whole class. Yeah, the students here are so immature and idiotic, but they'd heard me sing really badly like a million times. I sang 'Passionfruit' around the classroom once and nobody wanted to hear it lmao. So after Music I had bloody Food Tech and we got our test results, I got a C because I didn't revise for the test as it's not what i'm doing for GCSE. Then we had lunch and then English and we did Drama so we got into groups and performed freeze frames for how the character was feeling throughout the book.
So that was pretty much my day, if you're wondering why I'm posting this 2 days later its because I wrote this all down in my Notebook and I was super busy!

xx Ameebo
Reply 13
@queenmeelzx do you mind me asking where your brother studies ChemEng?
Original post by Black Water
@queenmeelzx do you mind me asking where your brother studies ChemEng?

My brother no longer studies, he has a job now.

He studied at the University of Leeds and graduated 3 years ago

Are you looking into studying ChemEng as well?

xx
Reply 15
My brother no longer studies, he has a job now.

He studied at the University of Leeds and graduated 3 years ago

Are you looking into studying ChemEng as well?

xx

Oh that’s cool. :smile: I’m thinking about it, if I were to apply I would apply at Leeds.

Good luck with your GCSE’s, you’ll end up with a strong set of results. :smile:
Original post by Black Water
Oh that’s cool. :smile: I’m thinking about it, if I were to apply I would apply at Leeds.

Good luck with your GCSE’s, you’ll end up with a strong set of results. :smile:

That's awesome!

Thankyou very much, i'm crossing my fingers

xx
Today was a very casual day. I spent most of it just working and trying to chill out.
My quote of the week:
" 'I'll always be there for you' they said... Then they left."
For my first lesson I had Maths and we had a supply teacher and did Algebra out of a textbook which was boring although I had to help the people sitting around me on my table because they didn't know what to do yet we'd had this in a test beforehand and we'd done Algebra for almost a term! Then I had Science and I also had a supply teacher then. We also did stuff out of a textbook but this time we did 'Compounds and their Acidity' and I just wrote down all the subheadings and summarized their paragraphs. Then we had form, break and then Geography. We did Longitudinal Waves and drew diagrams and explained them and then we had English this time we got into our groups we were in yesterday and we put a chair in front of us pretending the main character was sitting there. Then we each had to be a different character from the book and had to put ourselves into the shoes of that chosen character and then talk about what we think of the main character. For the last lesson we had product design and we did a revision lesson revising on all the topics for our test next week. It was a pretty short and interesting day but when I got home all I wanted to do was chill for the evening and Saturday so I ran a bath and then watched a load of 'Daredevil' and 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians' which was pretty chill.

xx Ameebo
Hey,
today was really just a chill-out day! I was looking through some study notes I made and all the goals I want to make and I thought about one of they key things for studying.
Motivation.
So I thought, and I have made a decision. I am going to put my expectations higher. I have decided that I want 9's in English, Maths and Science. And the way I am going to motivate myself doing that is i'm going to print out a board with pictures. I decided to put a picture of Edinburgh Law School on there, pictures of Cara Delevingne and Tom Holland, a cute little quote and a picture of an iPad pro because I decided that if I do get 9's in English, Maths and Science, I will treat myself to a gold iPad pro with an apple pencil and keyboard! Then I also have something to help me study along the way! I am so excited and determined for this and I believe that I actually can do it! I have decided to tell my Maths and Science teacher about this and how I want to get to 9's. I next have Science on Tuesday and I next have Maths on Monday so i'm going to try and talk to my teachers on Tuesday because I usually have flute lessons on Mondays. I am also going to print off this board of pictures and show my teachers. This is actually so awesome, i'm really excited for this! :-)

xx Ameebo
Hey,
so today I completed hours of work on a booklet for my RE homework on Hajj and let me tell you it took forever! :-( I am so glad I got it out of the way I ran the most relaxing bath when I finished it. I also did an RE revision mind map for the assessment I have tomorrow. I am trying not to worry but last time I got 30/60 and was not happy. Yeah, it's half but I still want to get somewhere NEAR 60!! ARRGGHHH! I really hope I don't fail this RE test, my current goal is to get at least above a half and the next time I have a test, I will aim higher. I also have a busy week ahead, I have the RE assessments, going to teachers at lunchtimes, my dad is moving into his new house and that is going to be my new works pace which is really exciting and this Thursday I am going to be performing some songs to people at a church which is pretty cool. So I hope that I will stay organised. Another one of my goals was to cut down on the YouTube and read more and I just finished 5 chapters of the current book I am reading, Paper Towns! I need to start expanding my vocabulary range, smh.

I was thinking recently about how much time I have been wasting on the wrong people. I have been chasing after this one guy-friend for literally FOREVER now and I have decided enough is enough and I need to cut him out of my life. One of my new years resolutions for this year is to think about myself and to stop running and to stop doing everything to please and for everyone else. It's time to do me, what I want to do.

And what I want to do, is get 9's in English, Maths and Science.

Lets do this sh*t!

xx Ameebo

Quick Reply

Latest