The Student Room Group

Respected A-Level Subjects

For my A-Levels, I've chosen to take English Language, Maths and Biology...Are they 'respected subjects'? I know biology and maths are but people have been saying English language isn't? Should I change my options or keep them as they are?
english language isn’t a facilitating subject and apparently some unis don’t look at it as respectfully as its more ‘sciency’ and you can learn it (in comparison to english lit) but if you want to take it and think you’d enjoy it there’s no harm in doing so, its still a good a level to have and would definitely broaden your range of subjects
Reply 2
Maybe English literature?
Reply 3
Keep them as they are.

Two facilitating subjects is definitely enough.

Do the subjects you enjoy, not the most well respected. Better to get a good grade in a "worse" subject, than a poor one doing something you don't like as much.
Original post by AS02x
For my A-Levels, I've chosen to take English Language, Maths and Biology...Are they 'respected subjects'? I know biology and maths are but people have been saying English language isn't? Should I change my options or keep them as they are?

You could do combined Lang. Lit and that would get you across the line.

What you really need to do is check the entrance requirements at the uni and for the course you wish to do. Normally 2 facilitating and one non is ok. If you arent fussed between Lang and Lit then do Lit.
Original post by 999tigger
You could do combined Lang. Lit and that would get you across the line.

What you really need to do is check the entrance requirements at the uni and for the course you wish to do. Normally 2 facilitating and one non is ok. If you arent fussed between Lang and Lit then do Lit.

I want to do forensic psychology at Uni...is english language seen as like really bad though like, not intending on being rude, but like art or drama?
The only A level subjects that carry less weight in the eyes of certain Unis or for some courses, are vocational courses like PE, Accountancy, Dance, Photography etc etc, because they lack academic intensity.

English Language is an excellent '3rd subject' A level to take - whatever degree course/career you are aiming at.
Original post by AS02x
I want to do forensic psychology at Uni...is english language seen as like really bad though like, not intending on being rude, but like art or drama?

Nope I think its moderately strong. Surely forensics requires things like Chemistry and maybe Biology. The thir A level is unlikely to matter.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/forensic-scientist
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/after-gcses/find-career-ideas/explore-jobs/job-profile/forensic-scientist
Reply 8
I'm not sure about what is classed as "respected". I studied Psychology at Cardiff University. All it specified was AAA or AAB where maths was one of the subjects.

I chose to take Psychology, Maths (to help with the statistical element of the psychology degree), English Lit to help develop my essay writing skills (I know this was a daft reason to take it as I don't actually read much and didn't enjoy the subject!) and finally Law because part of me wasn't sure whether I would prefer to study this in Uni instead. I found all of them pretty useful to be honest and after getting 4As in first year, I couldn't decide which one to drop for second year so I kept all 4. I was accepted in to Uni from grades alone as I had no hobbies or work experience to put in my UCAS application! I would say just do what you enjoy or what you think will develop your skills for the course itself. Certain subjects are probably quite strict with their criteria but if the entry requirements don't specify any particular subjects, I wouldn't worry about it.
Reply 9
Original post by AS02x

The fascilitating subjects are:

-Chemistry,Physics, Biology
-Maths, Further Maths
-English Literature, History
-Geography
-Spanish, French, German etc.

Universities like 2 fascilitating subjects, so that’s maths and biology, if you like English language do that because you’re allowed to do a non fascilitating subject as your 3rd option because even some of the top unis don’t mind it.

Quick Reply

Latest