The Student Room Group

Feminist Hero Installed As Prime Minister Of Myanmar - Her First Major Act? Genocide

AUNG SAN SUU KYI a feminist activist and current prime minister of Myanmar is compared by feminists to the likes of Martin Luther King and Mahatma Ghandi (http://www.feministpress.org/books-a-m/aung-san-s). Such is her reverence in the world of feminism an ideology which promoted and celebrated her ascension to stardom and power. An ideology that claims that women have superior cultural values to men. Aung is a good example of these superior cultural values I guess.

Western powers and feminist NGOs pressured Myanmar’s previous government to give up power, free this feminist from prison and install her as prime minister of the country. This happened April last year. A couple of months after she took office the country erupted into ethnic violence. Aung a buddhist with strong racist beliefs ordered the army to attack and expel the Rohingya minority who are from a different race from the country.

Embarrassed by the violence brought about by the newly installed prime minister western powers have over the past year asked her to renounce and stop the violence and done their best to give the genocide as little exposure as possible

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-41297145

In answer to this request from the west Aung appeared a number of times on television the past year making racist remarks towards the Rohingya minority and justifying the attacks and the displacement.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-41315924

Feminism, being the female supremacist ideology that it is, has long argued that women have superior cultural values to men and that the only solution to world problems is to keep men from power and to allow women to gain control.

“Everything I learn reinforces my conviction that the only corrective to social inequality, cruelty and callousness, is to be found in values which, if we cannot call them female, can be called sororal. They are the opposite of competitiveness, acquisitiveness and domination, and may be summed up by the word ‘co-operation’. In the world of the sisterhood, all deserve care and attention, including the very old, the very young, the imbecile and the outsider. The quality of daily life is what matters, the taste of the food on the table, the light in the room, the peace and wholeness of the moment. Perfect love casteth out fear. The only perfect love to be found on earth is not sexual love, which is riddled with hostility and insecurity, but the wordless commitment of families, which takes as its model mother-love. This is not to say that fathers have no place, for father-love, with its driving for self-improvement and discipline, is also essential to survival, but that uncorrected father-love as it were practised by both parents, is a way to annihilation.” Germaine Greer. Mad Woman’s Underclothes. 1994.

“I have always gone out and advocated to women you must get your hands on levers, you must get hold of power, you must be where decisions are made...Because otherwise if you leave it to I’m going to say men in this case because that’s the way the world has worked you get terrible decisions....Look at the mess the world is in, and look who has been in charge. I leave it there.”
Lynn featherstone Women’s Equality Minister. Yes this sexist was for 4 years our Minister of Equalities...If this wasn't a serious issue I'd be laughing my butt off.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

the real power in Burma is still the armed forces; Mrs Kyi is not in control of them.
Original post by the bear
the real power in Burma is still the armed forces; Mrs Kyi is not in control of them.

"Witnesses giving evidence were asked if the international community had got it wrong in believing Myanmar’s leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, to be a prisoner in her own country or whether she was complicit in the atrocities against a population described as the “most persecuted minority” in the world. The UN and Theresa May have said the military campaign is a textbook example of “ethnic cleansing”.

“Yes, I’m afraid she is complicit,” said Mark Farmaner, director of Burma Campaign UK. He said the Nobel peace prize winner had “authoritarian tendencies”, and used repressive laws to restrict freedom of expression, pointing out that she had refused to free political prisoners, one aged 14.."

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2017/nov/15/aung-san-suu-kyi-complicit-in-rohingya-ethnic-cleansing-in-myanmar-mps-told
The Western world intervened in Iraq, Libya and Syria to overthrow leaders for far less.

All the Rohigya muslims need to do is find some oil, and we'll come to save them!
Reply 4
Original post by AngeryPenguin
The Western world intervened in Iraq, Libya and Syria to overthrow leaders for far less.

All the Rohigya muslims need to do is find some oil, and we'll come to save them!

While i am a big advocate of military intervention a reduced Muslim population will likely be no bad thing in the quest for a wealthy democracy in Burma. I'd not support genocide of course but Pakistan is nearby.
Not sure Suu Kyi has was particularly seen as a "feminist activist", more of a general democratisation/peace activist.

Also, while her complicity in the genocide of the Rohingya has rightly been roundly condemned, I don't think anyone's seriously suggesting that she's the driving force behind it, or that the regime wouldn't still have done it if she wasn't in office.
Original post by Rakas21
While i am a big advocate of military intervention a reduced Muslim population will likely be no bad thing in the quest for a wealthy democracy in Burma. I'd not support genocide of course but Pakistan is nearby.

Removing people from their homes is acceptable because there are people with similar religious beliefs living 1,700 miles away?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by SHallowvale
Removing people from there homes is acceptable because there are people with similar religious beliefs living 1,700 miles away?

Acceptable is perhaps too strong a belief. More indifference.
Original post by Rakas21
Acceptable is perhaps too strong a belief. More indifference.

Would you be indifferent to someone removing you from your home (and perhaps also killing a bunch of your neighbours) on the condition that, "Oh, well, there are other British people they can live with"?
Reply 9
Would you be indifferent to someone removing you from your home (and perhaps also killing a bunch of your neighbours) on the condition that, "Oh, well, there are other British people they can live with"?

These people are not British.
Original post by Rakas21
These people are not British.

What difference does it make?

Whether something is right or wrong is independent on someone's country of origin, religion, nationality, etc. If you would think it wrong for genocide and forced displacement to happen to British people but not non-British people then you have a serious lack of empathy and general human decency.

Whether something is right or wrong is independent on someone's country of origin, religion, nationality, etc. If you would think it wrong for genocide and forced displacement to happen to British people but not non-British people then you have a serious lack of empathy and general human decency.

I would love to see the entire world brought to order but we must be realistic here and no, i don't much care about a small group of Burmese people who are part of a religion which represents the greatest threat to liberty since the fall of the Soviet union.

Your virtue signalling will accomplish nothing so long as you lack the resolve to end this conflict via military means. Until that time, concern about these people is a distraction.
Original post by Rakas21
I would love to see the entire world brought to order but we must be realistic here and no, i don't much care about a small group of Burmese people who are part of a religion which represents the greatest threat to liberty since the fall of the Soviet union.

Your virtue signalling will accomplish nothing so long as you lack the resolve to end this conflict via military means. Until that time, concern about these people is a distraction.

Nothing that you have said here has anything to do with whether what has/is happening is wrong in principle. You don't seem to think it is, which is pretty worrying.

I too "don't much care" for it either. It's not something I'm going to be losing sleep over but I can still understand why it's a wrong thing to happen.
Nothing that you have said here has anything to do with whether what has/is happening is wrong in principle. You don't seem to think it is, which is pretty worrying.

I too "don't much care" for it either. It's not something I'm going to be losing sleep over but I can still understand why it's a wrong thing to happen.

Most humans can justify almost anything for the greater good. I don't think these events are for the greater good per say however neither do i they are horribly bad, especially since the world will do nothing about it. Hell, the world is currently sat back as Assad starts dropping chemical weapons again.

Rakas is a colonial racist.
Original post by Rakas21
Most humans can justify almost anything for the greater good. I don't think these events are for the greater good per say however neither do i they are horribly bad, especially since the world will do nothing about it. Hell, the world is currently sat back as Assad starts dropping chemical weapons again.

Independent of everything else, why do you not think that they are bad? As I said before, why would it be bad for these things to happen to British people and not others?

Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Oh I know this.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

I'm not racist at all, i'm culturalist.
Original post by CookieButter

AUNG SAN SUU KYI a feminist activist and current prime minister of Myanmar is compared by feminists to the likes of Martin Luther King and Mahatma Ghandi (http://www.feministpress.org/books-a-m/aung-san-s). Such is her reverence in the world of feminism an ideology which promoted and celebrated her ascension to stardom and power. An ideology that claims that women have superior cultural values to men. Aung is a good example of these superior cultural values I guess.

Western powers and feminist NGOs pressured Myanmar’s previous government to give up power, free this feminist from prison and install her as prime minister of the country. This happened April last year. A couple of months after she took office the country erupted into ethnic violence. Aung a buddhist with strong racist beliefs ordered the army to attack and expel the Rohingya minority who are from a different race from the country.

Embarrassed by the violence brought about by the newly installed prime minister western powers have over the past year asked her to renounce and stop the violence and done their best to give the genocide as little exposure as possible

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-41297145

In answer to this request from the west Aung appeared a number of times on television the past year making racist remarks towards the Rohingya minority and justifying the attacks and the displacement.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-41315924

Feminism, being the female supremacist ideology that it is, has long argued that women have superior cultural values to men and that the only solution to world problems is to keep men from power and to allow women to gain control.

“Everything I learn reinforces my conviction that the only corrective to social inequality, cruelty and callousness, is to be found in values which, if we cannot call them female, can be called sororal. They are the opposite of competitiveness, acquisitiveness and domination, and may be summed up by the word ‘co-operation’. In the world of the sisterhood, all deserve care and attention, including the very old, the very young, the imbecile and the outsider. The quality of daily life is what matters, the taste of the food on the table, the light in the room, the peace and wholeness of the moment. Perfect love casteth out fear. The only perfect love to be found on earth is not sexual love, which is riddled with hostility and insecurity, but the wordless commitment of families, which takes as its model mother-love. This is not to say that fathers have no place, for father-love, with its driving for self-improvement and discipline, is also essential to survival, but that uncorrected father-love as it were practised by both parents, is a way to annihilation.” Germaine Greer. Mad Woman’s Underclothes. 1994.

“I have always gone out and advocated to women you must get your hands on levers, you must get hold of power, you must be where decisions are made...Because otherwise if you leave it to I’m going to say men in this case because that’s the way the world has worked you get terrible decisions....Look at the mess the world is in, and look who has been in charge. I leave it there.”
Lynn featherstone Women’s Equality Minister. Yes this sexist was for 4 years our Minister of Equalities...If this wasn't a serious issue I'd be laughing my butt off.

All the evidence I need to refute feminism in a nutshell. Thanks, mate.
Original post by Rakas21
I'm not racist at all, i'm culturalist.

I find it worrying how many people have convinced themselves that their "culturalism" is not dog-whistle racism.

After WWII, it seems that the entirety of Europe just took all their racist attitudes, replaced "race" with "culture", and then decided they had completely eradicated racism.

Obviously the reason you do this is that you don't think of yourself as a bad person, and you know that racism is bad, so therefore you conclude that you aren't racist, and seek to label all your beliefs as other things. Even neo-Nazis today do this kind of thing - they call themselves "race realists", and almost universally reject being called racists.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
I find it worrying how many people have convinced themselves that their "culturalism" is not dog-whistle racism.

After WWII, it seems that the entirety of Europe just took all their racist attitudes, replaced "race" with "culture", and then decided they had completely eradicated racism.

Obviously the reason you do this is that you don't think of yourself as a bad person, and you know that racism is bad, so therefore you conclude that you aren't racist, and seek to label all your beliefs as other things. Even neo-Nazis today do this kind of thing - they call themselves "race realists", and almost universally reject being called racists.

Not really. Race is defined and since my objection is to them being say Muslim rather than brown, I am by definition in opposition to their culture and not race.

In this case I suppose religionist is more appropriate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending