The Student Room Group

Can my mother stop me from going abroad legally?

Ay everyone.
My dad is in USA and in 2 years or less will get visa for me (19 and my brother is 12)
My mom on other hand doesn't want me or my brother to go to usa.
Question is can she stop me from going there? or my brother? legally
Reply 1
Can’t stop you as you’re an adult, can stop your brother (i’m assuming she has full custody).
Reply 2
Original post by cat_mac
Can’t stop you as you’re an adult, can stop your brother (i’m assuming she has full custody).
Both of your surname is her name and yeah we live with her.
She doesn't understand that we going to usa will make life a lot better for her.
Why would she be able to stop you?
Reply 4
Original post by YaliaV
Why would she be able to stop you?

I thought that since im adult she can't stop me but she keeps saying that she won't allow both of us to leave.
Original post by Gonzalo25
I thought that since im adult she can't stop me but she keeps saying that she won't allow both of us to leave.

Was there a bitter divorce? It sounds like she's just angry/hurt that you're going and so she's making empty threats. Maybe you could try sitting down and talking to her. If she feels like you're not taking your dad's side as such, then she might be more open to you going. Tell her that you love both of your parents equally and that you just want to spend some time with your dad.
Original post by Gonzalo25

This could get messy: if you leave the UK, taking with you your younger brother, and with your father's consent but not your mother's, in legal terms, you, you individually, are abducting your brother.
Reply 7
Original post by YaliaV
Was there a bitter divorce? It sounds like she's just angry/hurt that you're going and so she's making empty threats. Maybe you could try sitting down and talking to her. If she feels like you're not taking your dad's side as such, then she might be more open to you going. Tell her that you love both of your parents equally and that you just want to spend some time with your dad.

My mom and dad are divorced but only to help dad get immigrant visa in usa.
She is pissed that my dad never sent the amount of money he agreed on divorce letter.
He can't send that much because it is hard for him to find and maintain a good job.
My mom can't do job and we rely on dad's money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending