The Student Room Group

Is it better to have a law degree from surrey or liverpool?

Would employers (specifically at chambers) feel that a degree from Liverpool holds more weight as it is an RG uni (I know its not a top one)? both unis obviously say its better to choose them so I am really not sure, if anyone could help that would be great.
Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
There isn’t really a difference between the two.

A Chambers in Liverpool or the North West is far more likely to target Liverpool university, while a Chambers in Surrey/The Home Counties is far more likely to target Surrey uni.

Thankyou, so in your opinion the fact that it's an RG uni will have little to do with it?
Original post by jordsax19
Thankyou, so in your opinion the fact that it's an RG uni will have little to do with it?

The answer is that unless you get a 75% from either, you're probably going to struggle to get in to non-criminal sets with a degree from either uni, even in regional chambers.
Reply 3
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
The answer is that unless you get a 75% from either, you're probably going to struggle to get in to non-criminal sets with a degree from either uni, even in regional chambers.

Fair enough, but if you were to get a 1st for example, would one from liverpool hold more weight?
Original post by jordsax19
Fair enough, but if you were to get a 1st for example, would one from liverpool hold more weight?

No. If there is a bias, I think it would be towards Surrey.

But really if you're going to the competitive bar, you're going to end up doing the BCL or Cambridge/LSE LLM. The uni you attend for undergrad will not be very persuasive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending