The Student Room Group

Are the best universities dominated by the privately educated?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muttley79
Private schools push students to apply for the school's 'image' and publicity - they know that these unis do not necessarily offer the 'best fit' degree but just want the 'prestige'.

State schools are more open to different unis and what might be the best option for an individual student.

Not the good state schools.. which predominantly make up the "state" section of these statistics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
What makes you think this forum is for students?

But this is only for UK-domiciled students. If you consider non-UK students, and most of them unis have a very significant number of non-UK students, the number of privately educated students is going to be much much higher. But, of course, privately educated in an international school in HK is not exactly equivalent to being educated at Eton.

eh isn't the forum called The Student Room?

But anyways, yes completely agree. 50% of students at Imperial are non-UK and it's something like 70% of at LSE, so you can only imagine that those who are paying overseas fees will be very well off.
Original post by Kfcaldwell
Be aware though. Scottish University only take 20-30%of Scottish students. If a Scottish student does not get into Scotland but manage to get into Ucl they don't get the same bursary as English students do for living in Central London.

I think you mean we don't get the London weighting on our student finance anynore, which is true (and unfortunate). We're entitled to bursaries as much as any other UK student in an English uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
**** Oxford university then
Original post by Princepieman
Ahem, I beg to differ :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They can be as new money can be, but usually not posh in the Old Boy sense.

Original post by ScotBank16
eh isn't the forum called The Student Room?

You lose by default for biting.
Original post by Princepieman
Not the good state schools.. which predominantly make up the "state" section of these statistics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I know a number of teachers at selective schools and teach at one myself; many don't push all their students to RG or Oxbridge. The right course for the student is more important -
Lol it's funny how Oxbridge gets bashed in the press, yet so many other universities have comparable, disproportional, independent student populations.
Original post by Doonesbury
You realise the downward means the percentage of private schoolers is declining? So the situation is "improving" each year. A 2pp year-on-year change by Oxford is pretty significant.

And to answer your question, no they aren't "dominated" by the privately educated. In all cases, private schooled students are the minority not the majority.

Asking OP if they understand the statistics that they themselves created lol

Reply 28
Original post by CompSci16
Asking OP if they understand the statistics that they themselves created lol

#MySides.

And yet OP contends "the best universities (are) dominated by the privately educated". Do you have an instameme for that?
Original post by Doonesbury
#MySides.

And yet OP contends "the best universities (are) dominated by the privately educated". Do you have an instameme for that?

Mate they're not contending anything. They asked a question, that's not the same as arguing for something.

You bringing up the arrows (i.e. the trends) - data that they themselves provided - is irrelevant as well, they weren't asking if the privately educated were 'strengthening' or 'increasing' their dominance. Maybe you should have a look over your reading comprehension again.

I, myself, do not believe that they are dominating but it's clear from the stats provided that the privately educated are over-represented at the top institutions. I just found it funny how you thought that you knew better than the OP.
Reply 30
Original post by CompSci16
Mate they're not contending anything. They asked a question, that's not the same as arguing for something.

Nope, OP contended (not asked):
Newly published data from HESA show how the privately educated continue to dominate highly ranked universities.
they are disproportionately represented but who cares? If you can afford it for your kids then fairs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending