The Student Room Group

Did you feel prepared to move out for university?

^^
Personally, I felt quite prepared as I'd learnt to cook well before moving out and knew how to do most chores and felt like I was reasonably good at budgeting. What about you?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
nope.
I first moved out when I was 18 to live on-campus at college. I thought I was definitely ready for my own space but I was absolutely terrible at taking care of myself. I lived off of toast, tinned spaghetti, yoghurt, instant noodles, and pasta dishes as it was the only thing I could cook. The most significant thing I could prepare was a vegetarian spaghetti bolognese. Even when I started eating meat again I still made it with Quorn because I didn't trust myself to cook meat properly. :lol: My room often ended up filthy. I'd clean it when it was finally bad enough to disgust me. I didn't do my own laundry. Budgeting though wasn't an issue. I usually spent <£30 a week. If I'd been eating properly though that would have been higher.

After that experience I moved back in with my parents, and then when I eventually left again for university at 22 I was a perfectly functional adult who could cook, clean, and do her own laundry. Then proceeded to spend a year cleaning up after four 18yos in halls before finally getting a flat with a friend. :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)
You could teach yourself how to do things before moving out, start with the really basic things like beans on toast and how to oven cook frozen food.
Original post by Lia22
nope.

what is it that makes you feel unprepared imparticular?
Original post by sinfonietta
I first moved out when I was 18 to live on-campus at college. I thought I was definitely ready for my own space but I was absolutely terrible at taking care of myself. I lived off of toast, tinned spaghetti, yoghurt, instant noodles, and pasta dishes as it was the only thing I could cook. The most significant thing I could prepare was a vegetarian spaghetti bolognese. Even when I started eating meat again I still made it with Quorn because I didn't trust myself to cook meat properly. :lol: My room often ended up filthy. I'd clean it when it was finally bad enough to disgust me. I didn't do my own laundry. Budgeting though wasn't an issue. I usually spent <£30 a week. If I'd been eating properly though that would have been higher.

After that experience I moved back in with my parents, and then when I eventually left again for university at 22 I was a perfectly functional adult who could cook, clean, and do her own laundry. Then proceeded to spend a year cleaning up after four 18yos in halls before finally getting a flat with a friend. :tongue:

A spaghetti bolognese is still a healthy meal especially with quorn and that was good budgeting so there were some positives out of your first time going. I had the opposite experience in halls, i was the 18 year old cleaning up after 20-23 year olds, I can remember their surprised faces when i was making curry from scratch and baking cupcakes. I bet you were very glad to move in with a friend :P
Absolutely. I dont think it was a big thing. I did get homesick from time to time and I missed my pets a lot. Probably easier as it was catered halls, but tbh cooking is fun anyway even if you arent good at it.
I start uni in September and currently I don't.
I plan to polish up my cooking skills and learn how to do laundry etc by the time I start.
Should be fine with the whole budgeting
Agreed.

Since moving out of home haven't looked back to be honest... rather than being homesick (no doubt helped from boarding since ~10/11) I was ready to get out of there, and now I get in **** from my parents when they don\t hear from me for weeks on end!

Have always been doing stuff in the kitchen, so meals wasn't the issue, but rather the fact that I'm usually just too lazy to cook anything. Go through weeks of not really properly cooking, and then doing a nice shop, and ending up cooking healthily(ish) for a few days, and then revert back :rofl:
Hm, I never really felt that there was anything to prepare. I didn't cook very much before starting uni (I baked loads before--but unfortunately one cannot survive on cake alone :frown: ), but anything is learn-able with the internet at our fingertips nowadays!

If I had any questions about laundry or some such, my first go-to would be to read the back of relevant items (eg. read the back of the laundry detergent); and if that didn't clear it up, the Internet definitely would most of the time. Calling home also helped when I got homesick or had a question that truly could not be answered by inputting it in Google.
My mum's giving me an intensive course of cooking over the summer as long as I promise to do self defence lessons in return (overprotective asian parent). I'm most likely going to meal prep since it saves time, can be healthier and is way cheaper).
I'll probably come home to do the laundry on weekends since it's £4.50 per cycle of wash and dry (I'd need 2 cycles or I'd have to stop wearing white). But I'll see if that saves any money or not.
Practicality wise, I may be prepared but I don't think I am mentally. Even though I'm super excited, I feel nervous as well.
I didn't know how to cook, do laundry or chores.

Yet I was confident that I could learn how to do them immediately because they're not complicated in the slightest. I was right.
I wasn't really prepared for it at all, but I did surprise myself at how well and how quickly I adapted. I was expecting to fall apart and be homesick a lot but I wasn't! :biggrin:
Reply 12
I’ve practically been living alone since 15 so yeah, I’m more than ready. The only thing I don’t know is how to use the washing machine, why do they have 3 sections in that thing you open?
Original post by 999tigger
Absolutely. I dont think it was a big thing. I did get homesick from time to time and I missed my pets a lot. Probably easier as it was catered halls, but tbh cooking is fun anyway even if you arent good at it.

Not having a dog around was something that took some getting used to.

I suppose you didn't experience much homesickness at all?
Original post by Zxyn
I’ve practically been living alone since 15 so yeah, I’m more than ready. The only thing I don’t know is how to use the washing machine, why do they have 3 sections in that thing you open?

All in one tabs that you just chuck in with the clothes ftw!
Original post by OwlOfFire
I start uni in September and currently I don't.
I plan to polish up my cooking skills and learn how to do laundry etc by the time I start.
Should be fine with the whole budgeting

Laundry is pretty much following the instructions and avoiding whites and colours, i think budgeting can be one of the more stressful things to do so that's one less worry for you.

Original post by mobbsy91
Agreed.

Since moving out of home haven't looked back to be honest... rather than being homesick (no doubt helped from boarding since ~10/11) I was ready to get out of there, and now I get in **** from my parents when they don\t hear from me for weeks on end!

Have always been doing stuff in the kitchen, so meals wasn't the issue, but rather the fact that I'm usually just too lazy to cook anything. Go through weeks of not really properly cooking, and then doing a nice shop, and ending up cooking healthily(ish) for a few days, and then revert back :rofl:

I was definitely ready to move to uni, needed a fresh start in a few ways. Cooking healthy food when you don't feel like the effort can be challenging, i'm a big fan of frozen chopped vegetables and herbs as i'm lazy when it comes to chopping things.
Original post by claireestelle
Laundry is pretty much following the instructions and avoiding whites and colours, i think budgeting can be one of the more stressful things to do so that's one less worry for you.

I was definitely ready to move to uni, needed a fresh start in a few ways. Cooking healthy food when you don't feel like the effort can be challenging, i'm a big fan of frozen chopped vegetables and herbs as i'm lazy when it comes to chopping things.

Oh my god yes!!! Frozen veg + microwave = me actually eating veg as opposed to never eating veg xD I'm also a big fan of things that I can do that end up in one pan/dish and that give leftovers... Cook a nice lasagne and that's meals for half the week sorted... fortunately I don't mind having the same meal for a few days on the trot
Reply 17
Original post by mobbsy91
All in one tabs that you just chuck in with the clothes ftw!

Oh you mean those ones that taste delicious if you eat them?
Original post by Michelle Bieger
Hm, I never really felt that there was anything to prepare. I didn't cook very much before starting uni (I baked loads before--but unfortunately one cannot survive on cake alone :frown: ), but anything is learn-able with the internet at our fingertips nowadays!

If I had any questions about laundry or some such, my first go-to would be to read the back of relevant items (eg. read the back of the laundry detergent); and if that didn't clear it up, the Internet definitely would most of the time. Calling home also helped when I got homesick or had a question that truly could not be answered by inputting it in Google.

Baking some things is trickier than cooking so i m sure you had some skills to help with cooking. The internet does make a lot of adult life much easier these days.

Original post by Nurani61105
My mum's giving me an intensive course of cooking over the summer as long as I promise to do self defence lessons in return (overprotective asian parent). I'm most likely going to meal prep since it saves time, can be healthier and is way cheaper).
I'll probably come home to do the laundry on weekends since it's £4.50 per cycle of wash and dry (I'd need 2 cycles or I'd have to stop wearing white). But I'll see if that saves any money or not.
Practicality wise, I may be prepared but I don't think I am mentally. Even though I'm super excited, I feel nervous as well.

£4.50 is insane for washing, i think i paid £2.50 and that was four years ago. Self defence is a useful skill, i actually got my phone stolen in freshers week so you never know it could come in handy (not to scare you or anything, i was just unlucky). Meal prepping is very sensible, i think not having the time or effort to cook can cost a lot so it's great that you'll have food ready on hand for you.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
I didn't know how to cook, do laundry or chores.

Yet I was confident that I could learn how to do them immediately because they're not complicated in the slightest. I was right.

Most things aren't too complicated, it's just getting the hang of doing them really.

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I wasn't really prepared for it at all, but I did surprise myself at how well and how quickly I adapted. I was expecting to fall apart and be homesick a lot but I wasn't! :biggrin:

It's great that you didn't get too home sick :smile:

Original post by Zxyn

One is for the detergent, one is for fabric conditioner , i think the third is for some sort of pre wash setting.

That must have been quite the big change for you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending