The Student Room Group

How long does it take for the contraceptive pill (Rigevidon) to become effective?

My period started on the 2nd, and I started taking Rigevidon (contraceptive pill) on the 5th and have been taking it as instructed. Am I protected from pregnancy as of today? I've read that If you start within 5 days after the start of your period, you are protected against pregnancy right away. However, elsewhere I have read that it will only become effective within 7 days.

Hoping that someone can clear this up for me!
Original post by leahbaker_x
My period started on the 2nd, and I started taking Rigevidon (contraceptive pill) on the 5th and have been taking it as instructed. Am I protected from pregnancy as of today? I've read that If you start within 5 days after the start of your period, you are protected against pregnancy right away. However, elsewhere I have read that it will only become effective within 7 days.

Hoping that someone can clear this up for me!

Give a pharmacy a call they should be able to help you :smile:
The instructions say "if you start on day 2 - 5 of your period, you should use another method of contraception as well, such as the condom, for the first seven pill-taking days, but this is only for the first pack."

That's probably being overcautious, especially if you were having a regular 28-30 day cycle, but it depends on how important it is to you that you do not become pregnant. If the answer is 'very', then follow the advice in the pack.

Quick Reply

Latest