The Student Room Group

Revision

I am only in year 10 but does anyone have any revision tips on how to learn quotes and how to choose what quotes to use for the poetry part of the exam?
Reply 1
Make flashcards - I have colour coded ones for character, setting and theme in the poems I’m doing. I have the quote on one side and bullet point analysis of the other side. To learn them, I go through them and recite them, then I count the number I have under each heading - so if I have five under character for one poem, I try and recite all five without looking at the cards. Then I start making two piles - one for ones I remember and get right and a pile for ones I forget. I do this with all the categories and then repeat the ones in the pile that I got wrong. I do this until I get them all right. You can use the same technique for learning the analysis by looking at the quote and making two piles of the analysis you get right and the analysis you get wrong.
Original post by K8e.H
Make flashcards - I have colour coded ones for character, setting and theme in the poems I’m doing. I have the quote on one side and bullet point analysis of the other side. To learn them, I go through them and recite them, then I count the number I have under each heading - so if I have five under character for one poem, I try and recite all five without looking at the cards. Then I start making two piles - one for ones I remember and get right and a pile for ones I forget. I do this with all the categories and then repeat the ones in the pile that I got wrong. I do this until I get them all right. You can use the same technique for learning the analysis by looking at the quote and making two piles of the analysis you get right and the analysis you get wrong.

What texts are you doing? are you a year 11?
Reply 3
Original post by GcseStudent9
What texts are you doing? are you a year 11?

I’m scottish so I’m in S5 (year 12) and doing my highers (sort of like As levels but much more important).
We have to do a scottish text sections where we study six poems - I am doing Loz Lochhead. We just have to memorise all our poems. One of them will come up in the exam and we have to compare it to quotes we have memorised from the other poems. Our main theme is conflict and difficult relationships, but character and setting are also important - they are in many poems.
Reply 4
No im a year 10 and my poems are from the AQA specification so far we’ve done The EmigreeTissueMy last duchess Ozymandias
Original post by rumankaur
No im a year 10 and my poems are from the AQA specification so far we’ve done The EmigreeTissueMy last duchess Ozymandias

do you have the anthology booklet?
i’m year 10 doing the same poetry anthology as you :yep:
Reply 6
No I dont have the anthology but am getting it in a few weeks so I can put all of my notes from the poems in the booklet as homework

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending