The Student Room Group

Flatmates want me to hangout more

Dl
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by purple135
Okay so it's taken me so long to find a decent friendship group at uni and now I finally have one and i've basically been hanging out with them all week.
But now all of a sudden my flatmates seem to have a problem with it, they are saying that i'm being rude because i'm not hanging out in the kitchen with them and i'm over at my actual friends place more. Which I don't understand because I've never been that close to them so i don't see why it's such a big deal that i'm not there all the time anymore and I've actually branched out of the flat and found course mates.
I'm just trying to maintain the friendships that i've finally made. plus my flatmates aren't really my type of people to hang with as I don't really have much to say to them and we don't have the same humour. My conversations with them are dry, sometimes we end up sitting in silence so it makes no sense why they want me to stop hanging out with my actual friends more and sit in the kitchen in the evening with them and have one or two jokes before the conversation dies.
They also act like I don't speak to them at all when in fact whenever i see them in the kitchen or in the evening i do try and keep up a decent conversation by saying hello and asking about their day which should be enough but they want more for some reason 🤔 I mean they have each other to talk to and seem quite close.
The only thing i'm worried about is if they start being mean and standoffish to me and cuasing me trouble for not hanging with them.

If they aren't your type of people just make the effort to have civil conversation when you see them but if they do cause trouble then that's there issue not yours.
Reply 2
There is nothing wrong with having friends beyond flatmates so I can't see their problem.

Sounds like they don't have a social life of their own so need you to bulk up their social time.
I suspect they're feeling lonely themselves and want to interact with you as they don't know many people with which to socialize with!

Would you feel comfortable meshing them in with your other friends? Perhaps other personalities would draw them out of their shells a little bit, so that overall you all can get past the pleasantries and move on to forging a real friendship together!
Reply 4
Original post by Michelle Bieger
I suspect they're feeling lonely themselves and want to interact with you as they don't know many people with which to socialize with!

Would you feel comfortable meshing them in with your other friends? Perhaps other personalities would draw them out of their shells a little bit, so that overall you all can get past the pleasantries and move on to forging a real friendship together!

It's strange because they have their own friends who they occasionally go out with, if it was the other way around I would feel no type of way

I really can't see them meshing. Plus I don't think it is my responsibility to please them
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest