The Student Room Group

Dan's Journey to GCSE success (hopefully)

So I’m currently in year 11, and with exams fast approaching (and my second set of mock exams in a few weeks) I wanted to create this blog to motivate myself and potentially others to revise and get the best grades possible. Here are the subjects I am doing:

English Language and Literature (AQA)
Mathematics (EDEXCEL)
Triple Science (EDEXCEL)
Art (AQA)
History (EDEXCEL)
Computer Science (WJEC)
Spanish (AQA)

I am currently predicted level 7 (A) in all my subjects, but that is based on my year 6 SATs results and I aspire to get higher than that. My main goals are for the 3 subjects I am doing at A-level and they are a level 9 in maths and 8’s in Biology and Physics. In my November mocks I got a high 8 in maths so I think my target is achievable; for Biology and Physics I got a 6 and a 7 but I am going to spend the remaining few months leading up to exams attempting to get those grades as high as possible. On this thread/ blog I will be sharing how I am doing that and some techniques I am using that may help others. :tongue:
Original post by DanW15
So I’m currently in year 11, and with exams fast approaching (and my second set of mock exams in a few weeks) I wanted to create this blog to motivate myself and potentially others to revise and get the best grades possible. Here are the subjects I am doing:

English Language and Literature (AQA)
Mathematics (EDEXCEL)
Triple Science (EDEXCEL)
Art (AQA)
History (EDEXCEL)
Computer Science (WJEC)
Spanish (AQA)

I am currently predicted level 7 (A) in all my subjects, but that is based on my year 6 SATs results and I aspire to get higher than that. My main goals are for the 3 subjects I am doing at A-level and they are a level 9 in maths and 8’s in Biology and Physics. In my November mocks I got a high 8 in maths so I think my target is achievable; for Biology and Physics I got a 6 and a 7 but I am going to spend the remaining few months leading up to exams attempting to get those grades as high as possible. On this thread/ blog I will be sharing how I am doing that and some techniques I am using that may help others. :tongue:

we're studying some similar subjects, I look forward to seeing how you revise them:biggrin:
which topics are you doing in history and how are you finding them?
also what's computer science gcse like; I was thinking about taking it for a-level though I'm not doing it for GCSEs:tongue:
good luck:wink:
Reply 2
Original post by Toastiekid
we're studying some similar subjects, I look forward to seeing how you revise them:biggrin:
which topics are you doing in history and how are you finding them?
also what's computer science gcse like; I was thinking about taking it for a-level though I'm not doing it for GCSEs:tongue:
good luck:wink:

My history topics are crime and punishment, nazi Germany, cold war and Henry & his ministers. Although History is my current least favourite subject :colonhash: I'm just not interested in it.
Computer science is very good if you're interested in, you know... computers. I like it as it gives me answers to questions about computers that I have never asked and it fascinates me how it all works. Would recommend!
I'd love to also hear how you're revising too as I am also learning about this whole revision thing. Good luck to you too!
Reply 3
So it's finally half term (thank god)! I attempted to have a productive day of revision today but that didn't turn out as planned. I went to play badminton with my brother at lunch then came home and watched some Netflix. I've also recently become re-obsessed with Rollercoaster Tycoon 3- such a good game, but bad for my revision! After dinner, I finally decided to do a little bit of English lit revision. In the photo I have written some key points and quotes in a mindmap about Dr Jekyll (from Jekyll & Hyde) and I have done the same for two more of the characters.

IMG_90813.jpg

I will do a bit of biology revision next and then call it a night.
Tomorrow I have to go into school during half term to do 4 hours of art coursework catchup! It seems unfair but I guess it's for my benefit. I'll let you know how i get on!
ps- for the image attached above it would only let me upload a really low-resolution version. Is there a reason for that? Some kind of restriction?
Original post by DanW15
My history topics are crime and punishment, nazi Germany, cold war and Henry & his ministers. Although History is my current least favourite subject :colonhash: I'm just not interested in it.
Computer science is very good if you're interested in, you know... computers. I like it as it gives me answers to questions about computers that I have never asked and it fascinates me how it all works. Would recommend!
I'd love to also hear how you're revising too as I am also learning about this whole revision thing. Good luck to you too!

I’m on and off with history; some days I really like it whilst others I detest it. I’m doing Elizabethan England, the Cold War, Weimar and medicine through time (ughhhh).
yeah computer science looks interesting, I’m definitely swaying towards picking it:biggrin:
aha you can hear about my revision (or lack of revision) in my gyg:tongue:
Have a great rest of weekend!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending